Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Stockpiling of food

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
find a quote and read what is being said. he is in the business of trying to pretend an no deal strategy exists so says things to show this planned for - too late of course.

heres the select committee esponse: "It would be wrong to describe it as the government doing the stockpiling," he said. "What we will make sure, and the idea that we only get food imports from one continent is not appropriate, but we will look at this issue in the round and make sure there is adequate food supply".

you can make sure adequate food supply by carrying on as normal, or prioritising food at ports if necessary so on, not just going from free trade to stockpiling.

cant we be rational about this rather than jump into this rabid opposing views and personal insults? ask your would the EU actually allow a exit scenario that would damage their own economy?

Personal insults?

Where have I personally insulted anyone?

I was pointing out that it is coming from the Brexiteers not remainers?

Brexiteer isn't an insult just yet.

Brian Parsons

May 16, 2013
Bicester, Oxfordshire.
The point I was trying to make was the German car industry won't allow a hard Brexit. They'll force Merkle into doing a deal. Bavaria is the heart and powerhouse of Germany.
How about radioactive isotopes with a half life of 66 hours, that we can't produce here?
http://uk.businessinsider.com/brexit-cancer-treatment-euratom-patients-at-risk-2018-3

"Honda says it would need a warehouse the size of 42 football pitches to keep enough stock for nine days of production at its Swindon factory, and BMW has quietly been ramping up production at an alternative Mini production facility in the Netherlands, anticipating difficulties getting stock to its Oxford plant."

https://uk.motor1.com/news/250547/uk-car-industry-brexit-brick-wall/

This is the way that car assembly has been for the last 40 years. Parts bought together just-in-time from manufacturing plants scattered across borders.

Delays would be a direct consequence of a no deal brexit.
Additional bureaucracy and cost would be a direct consequence of a no deal brexit.

No deal Brexit is not some free hit to stick two fingers up at Europe.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Do you honestly think 'no deal' means we stop trading with Ireland? The whole point of the exercise (well one of them) is that deal or no deal, we have trade agreements with who we like and that will include our friends in Ireland.
Of course we will still trade with Ireland and the rest of the EU, we are about to make it much more difficult though.

Lots of things we currently take for granted will change for the worse when we leave, hence all the frantic scurrying to ' Align " with the EU for as long as possible once we leave to avoid facing up to the chaos......all this on top of 10 years of austerity which has still left most of us in the shit.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Do you honestly think 'no deal' means we stop trading with Ireland? The whole point of the exercise (well one of them) is that deal or no deal, we have trade agreements with who we like and that will include our friends in Ireland.

Erm, you mean a trade agreement that will include our friends in the EU, right?

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014

I assume you think a trade deal takes about 5 minutes to create, with absolutely no negotiation and bartering involved. And we aren’t just creating said deals with Ireland - we’d be trying to create them with, and here’s the kicker, everyone. No mean feat that.

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
The more perishable goods the quicker you'll deal and probably be worse off due to the knowledge of the purchaser

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Personal insults?

Where have I personally insulted anyone?

you did not. trying to discuss the issues, that last line was intended as questions for anyone.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
i think the question is beyond project fear and into realms of deliberate scaremongering and incitment. the very worst case scenario with mythical "no deal" is that goods are slowed down, lead times are extended, so one can prioritise if there is a problem. they tried claiming medicines would be restricted the other week, overlooking shelf life is measured in months or years and that we export far more pharmaceticals than we import, so there is going to be a massive incentive to make sure problems are over come.

Where did you get the idea the UK exports more medicines than it imports? This is completely untrue. My understanding is that the UK imports the vast majority of its medicines as well as medical devices and apparatus etc.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
Where did you get the idea the UK exports more medicines than it imports? This is completely untrue. My understanding is that the UK imports the vast majority of its medicines as well as medical devices and apparatus etc.

data, cant find it presently though it was $ value. you'd be correct that a majority of medicine and devices are imports, from across the world. at the end of the day we will sell to them, they will sell to us. we are not going to be embargoed, agree?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
data, cant find it presently though it was $ value. you'd be correct that a majority of medicine and devices are imports, from across the world.

My understanding is that around 80-90% are imported and around 40-50% are from the EU. Parallel importing could also be an issue from non-EU counties. In short a vast amount of medicines, devices and supples will be affected.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Where are tin hats manufactured, and how many do we each need?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I've ordered 5 new BMWs just in case.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland

If you go out No Deal, you don't have any trade agreements and need to negotiate them again. EU members can't negotiate deals on their own.

So yes, there would be a period - however brief or long it may be - where you would only have WTO rules trade with Ireland.

UK wholesalers are likely to lose some business lines they have permanently as the downstream businesses move to using French or other EU suppliers.

sahel

Jan 24, 2014
i think the question is beyond project fear and into realms of deliberate scaremongering and incitment. the very worst case scenario with mythical "no deal" is that goods are slowed down, lead times are extended, so one can prioritise if there is a problem. they tried claiming medicines would be restricted the other week, overlooking shelf life is measured in months or years and that we export far more pharmaceticals than we import, so there is going to be a massive incentive to make sure problems are over come.

Here we are following, voluntarily, a policy which might end up with food rationing and medicine rationing, and which will at least, according to the vast majority of "experts", do us harm economically and otherwise. What madness!. And all because of an unwarranted fear of immigration and a mistaken view of sovereignty. It must be the most ridiculous decision ever and unfortunately will harm not only us but the othermembers of the EU. No wonder they are angry and unyielding

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
My understanding is that around 80-90% are imported and around 40-50% are from the EU. Parallel importing could also be an issue from non-EU counties. In short a vast amount of medicines, devices and supples will be affected.

interesting to raise parallel imports as it makes the official numbers a mess.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
interesting to raise parallel imports as it makes the official numbers a mess.

The known imports from the EU are as I stated above, adding on parallel imports probably takes the figure impacted above 50%. I agree it’s a mess, an unnecessary mess.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Can't believe we've got to do this, all because those old, poorly educated idiots didn't listen to us. At least they'll be first to starve to death, then we can have the vote again.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here