Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Massive fire in London - Grenfell Tower in Shepherds Bush

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
and a question to clear up something from earlier reports, suggestion was the cladding creates a void through which the fire travels, is that sensible scenario?

A chimney not a void. With flammable material that is not a sensible scenario, as you say.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Take it with a pinch of whatever you fancy,the council in question is Brighton,My old man was born and bred Brighton,he'd spent 26 years away from Brighton,apart from visiting relatives and friends and to this day has never heard from Brighton council,as I said He died a couple years ago without so much as a kiss my arse from Brighton council.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Did he chase it up? It's likely to have been a clerical error, rather than being ignored. There is a forces covenant.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
You live in?

Not clapham :)

You can try as hard as you like, it's a lie that the only people you see are white.

Always amazes me that the posters on here with the real insight into modern London don't even live here any more.

Sent from my LG-K520 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Not clapham :)

You can try as hard as you like, it's a lie that the only people you see are white.

Always amazes me that the posters on here with the real insight into modern London don't even live here any more.

And the only people I saw living on the street for a decade living in London were white, are you going to dispute that?

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Lets bring this whole saga to the facts as we know it. An Ethiopian resident warned his neighbour that his fridge had/was about to explode/catch fire......he was carrying a holdall and left....how is that Theresa May's fault ?
Source : The Times .

Agreed. And anyone accusing Theresa May of not emoting sufficiently in public needs to have a long hard think. Maybe read Albert Camus' The Outsider.

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
There's no doubt that if you are white, male, physically fit, of working age and no diagnosed mental illness you will get zero assistance from the government no matter how you became homeless.
I will say though, having worked across the length of breadth of London over the years I saw many different nationalities begging/homeless. I find it hard to believe you could even day trip into most parts of London and not see a black homeless person.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
I am surprised that in Germany this cladding is banned for high rise type of use whilst not being the EU standard. I thought that being part of the EU meant all members had to conform building and safety regs.

Reynobond aluminium coated panels with a flammable plastic core, known as PE, conform to British safety standards, despite being ruled dangerous elsewhere. The developers were probably not even aware of the devasting impact the cladding was going to make on what would have previously been a safe building.

It was probably a casual choice based on a £1 per panel saving just like people choosing a carpet more than trying to scam out of greed. I would even question the suppliers to whether they have a moral duty to inform the purchaser of countries who have banned the cladding from certain building types.

But my point is being part of the EU should have been a safeguard against tragedies like this. At least I thought this was the purpose of the EU, but it seems our building standards are independent.

Last edited:

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house
Did he chase it up? It's likely to have been a clerical error, rather than being ignored. There is a forces covenant.

Several times in the first few years,then He a and My mum gave up,as I said this was in the mid to late seventies,I was about 6 at the time,always feel very upset that the country My Dad served for so long and with such distinction turned it's back on Him.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
And the only people I saw living on the street for a decade living in London were white, are you going to dispute that?
Well that's an interesting question because you are asking me to dispute what you have seen which is of course impossible for me.

I've never seen a statistic any where that suggests homelessness is race related.

A lot of the homeless I observe have some form of mental health issue and/or alcohol related problem.

I rarely see Asian homeless but I have done. I put that down to (maybe wrong) stronger extended family links and a less likelihood to take either drugs or alcohol.

The homeless asking for money are a mix of white, black ( increasingly so in my opinion) and Easter European I guess.

I live in a nice area but those on the street is possibly slightly higher than normal for the area because there are 1 or two hostels (I think) in the local area. I suspect they get turned away if drunk and end up sleeping local.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Well that's an interesting question because you are asking me to dispute what you have seen which is of course impossible for me.

I've never seen a statistic any where that suggests homelessness is race related.

A lot of the homeless I observe have some form of mental health issue and/or alcohol related problem.

I rarely see Asian homeless but I have done. I put that down to (maybe wrong) stronger extended family links and a less likelihood to take either drugs or alcohol.

The homeless asking for money are a mix of white, black ( increasingly so in my opinion) and Easter European I guess.

I live in a nice area but those on the street is possibly slightly higher than normal for the area because there are 1 or two hostels (I think) in the local area. I suspect they get turned away if drunk and end up sleeping local.

Thank you for a proper decent reply.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
In my experience, in a decade living in our capital, I only see white people on the streets begging. I am not saying they are all genuine, but I never see ethnic minorities begging on the streets. That is my experience.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
In my experience, in a decade living in our capital, I only see white people on the streets begging. I am not saying they are all genuine, but I never see ethnic minorities begging on the streets. That is my experience.

You usually find that ethnic families look after their own. If one member of the family is in trouble the rest will help them out, especially Asian people. They don't put their old people in homes either as they consider it's their duty to care for them.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
You usually find that ethnic families look after their own. If one member of the family is in trouble the rest will help them out, especially Asian people. They don't put their old people in homes either as they consider it's their duty to care for them.

That makes sense. I thought I'd replied already... never showed I guess.

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
Who is the more needy though will always be a matter of opinion,for Me the serviceman or woman and their families should always ,ALWAYS get priority,for others it will be the Sudanese family that had just landed at Heathrow,only so much money to go around folks.
Tipping point is soon to be reached where more people are taking out of the pot than putting in.

Don't start the fecking immigration thing. This is not the place or time.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here