Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

When can we consider ourselves a 'big' club

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I don't get this obsession with whether pretty much any club, including ours, is 'big' or not. There's no official measure, and no meaning to it - it's boll*cks. I like us as we are.

It's all just garbage spin. Only outside perceptions change. Which is why we were 'under the radar' for most of this season, followed by a serious period of frantic belated catch-up by the national media.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
The likes of Man U, Arsenal, Liverpool are big clubs. W e may occasionally compete with them, but we'll never be one of them.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Exactly, Stoke could win the Premier League five years running and still wouldn't be a big club, or even a medium-sized club. There are about ten big clubs in England, and no matter what division they play in or what they do or don't win, they will remain the big clubs. A subjective thing obviously.

Best answer I've seen

Brok

😐
Dec 26, 2011
A little off-topic here, and it may be a stupid question, but when do we actually become a PL club?
-Would it have been the final whistle against Wigan?
-Would it have been the final whistle against Villa?
-Will it be when the PL finish their season?
-Will it be when the fixture list comes out?
-Will it be when we kick off next season?

Or does it really matter?

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Normally a 78 minute leave for you then? :moo:

No, i'm the one looking at all the empty seats appear away from home at every ground we've played up and down the country, and arguing with people who only watch us at home who seem to think this is an albion exclusive issue.

Note that I do actually think it's an issue and my contributions in the past would reflect this, which makes your comment all the more comical.

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
I never get this, firstly when is a big club a big club, and why should you care as a fan anyway, as long as your club are still your club it should not matter.

As a Sunderland fan I would say we are middle to upper in Britain at least, decent history, good crowds generate overseas sales etc but we went down this season in disappointing fashion. I could not care less how big we are, what matters is that the players for the team I support did not try this season and we went down, size really does not matter (apart from possibly at the very top where you can influence a little more with things such as refs)

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
A little off-topic here, and it may be a stupid question, but when do we actually become a PL club?

It's when the fixtures are created isn't it?

The aloof gatekeeper

Oct 11, 2011

The Premier League is a private company wholly owned by its 20 Member Clubs who make up the League at any one time...The Premier League AGM takes place at the close of each season, at which time the relegated clubs transfer their shares to the clubs promoted into the Premier League from the Football League Championship.

https://www.premierleague.com/about

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex
The club with the closest record to us (e.g. number of seasons in each division) is Reading. To be a big club we need to get away from that kind of comparison.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
Not worried in the least about being considered a big club.

Love the fact that we have enough local support to fill our 31,000-seater stadium and are now playing in the Premier League.

I don't need marketing missions to the Far East, shirt sales in Sports Direct or plane loads of Scandinavian fans coming to home games to make me feel good about the club.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
I never get this, firstly when is a big club a big club, and why should you care as a fan anyway, as long as your club are still your club it should not matter.

As a Sunderland fan I would say we are middle to upper in Britain at least, decent history, good crowds generate overseas sales etc but we went down this season in disappointing fashion. I could not care less how big we are, what matters is that the players for the team I support did not try this season and we went down, size really does not matter (apart from possibly at the very top where you can influence a little more with things such as refs)

Sunderland > Brighton

Compared to yourselves we are small, small, small.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here