Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The next two games.

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Yup. As I mentioned in the Hughton thread:

We rarely win more than three in a row these days, so I didn't have high expectations. It also feels like any time I watch us play Brentford we lose, so my expetations were probably actually quite low.

The problem I see is that we are now going to face automatic promotion chasing Ipswich. They have confidence, momentum, I can see us losing to them, too. Then we face Arsenal, who I'm sure most people expect to beat us. All too quickly we're on a losing run again. We get a losing momentum just when we go away to face Blackpool - a game we should win, but then we said the same about the home game. They won't make it easy, and if we've got that losing momentum again... Another draw (or even a loss) against them and heads drop. The brief run of success becomes another example of the new manager bounce. The sentiment begins to set in that maybe Hyypia wasn't as bad as we currently view him, maybe the players should shoulder more responsibility.

We then face a Forest who by then could be on another run having gotten the monkey off their backs with a victory v Derby, follow up with a trip to Cardiff who have a very good home record, followed by a trip to Sheffield Wednesday who are a better side this season than many people expected them to be and who have already beaten us.

That's my fear. Of course, the optimistic view is that the wins maybe distracted from some basic problems with the squad and yesterday's games exposed them. Hughton will see changes need to be made, training catered to improve our final third, and the effects of this are seen quickly v Ipswich and we get something out of the game. The players step up v Arsenal and come out of it feeling good about themselves (maybe even with a lucky win or a replay to boost the confidence), we then face blackpool with more confidence and being away the team feel more relaxed and we get the win and start to pull away from the relegation zone some more. We continue to build our confidence and face a Forest who continue to struggle despite their win (with Pearce joining the list of managers who are fired after losing to us), and we settle into a run of form befitting a midtable side.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Not worried. Don't expect to win either of them, but now reasonably confident we won't get relegated this season, which is all that really matters after the last few months.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Mama always said an Albion game was like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get - apart from a few soft centres.

DavePage

You have to believe, having watched and now listened for nearly 50 years. the blinders are well in the minority to the mediocre. Such is football.
You never know when that good run or sublime performance is going to happen. All the better when, it’s not expected to happen.

Imagine what this board would be like if we were say, Arsenal. a few years back on a roll, Champions of the Premiership, playing in the Champions League with the fans feeling that they have the Devine right for it to stay that way forever.

Today 6th in the league, only winning 10 out of 21 games. Out of the league Cup, soon to be out of the FA Cup (maybe).

There’s nothing wrong with being optimistic, it’s when you begin to expect results that it can hurt too much.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm expecting at least 4 points, so nothing to worry about here.

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
You have to believe, having watched and now listened for nearly 50 years. the blinders are well in the minority to the mediocre. Such is football.
You never know when that good run or sublime performance is going to happen. All the better when, it’s not expected to happen.

Imagine what this board would be like if we were say, Arsenal. a few years back on a roll, Champions of the Premiership, playing in the Champions League with the fans feeling that they have the Devine right for it to stay that way forever.

Today 6th in the league, only winning 10 out of 21 games. Out of the league Cup, soon to be out of the FA Cup (maybe).

There’s nothing wrong with being optimistic, it’s when you begin to expect results that it can hurt too much.

Our lot will be in Dicks at Six on Wednesday and Dicks at One on Sunday:drink:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here