Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Looking for some advice for running South Downs Way. As someone who tends to run roads the majority of the time my knowledge of routes on SDW is very limited. The easiest ways for me to get up there are via Devils Dyke or Ditching Road.

Can anyone recommend a decent route which would cover c.14 miles? It would take me around 2 miles initially to get there so 10 miles on SDW would be about right.

This is my favourite run and at 10 miles starting from Ditchling Beacon should be just the ticket.
https://www.strava.com/activities/1011134653

good mixture of terrain and stunning views. You must touch the trig point at Black Cap both ways and the gate at the bottom of Lewes old race course.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Looking for some advice for running South Downs Way. As someone who tends to run roads the majority of the time my knowledge of routes on SDW is very limited. The easiest ways for me to get up there are via Devils Dyke or Ditching Road.

Can anyone recommend a decent route which would cover c.14 miles? It would take me around 2 miles initially to get there so 10 miles on SDW would be about right.

Just find the SDW and do an out-and-back....I do this all the time. Clayton Windmills to Black Cap (Black Cap is actually just off the SDW) is about 9.4m there and back.

Alternatively, go West from the Dyke, past the Youth Hostel....run for 5 miles (will get you to somewhere neat Chanctonbury) then turn round ?

SDW is pretty well signposted these days

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I thought Saturday was Bevendean day? How come everyone ended up everywhere EXCEPT there? :lol: Because of Bobkin Jnr's birthday I set off early (surprise, surprise) and actually got a bit of a pace going on. Five miles and sub-8 min/miles has been pretty much unheard of for ages. It seemed to carry on initially on Sunday as I had a one-hour run after a 63-mile bike ride. The first mile was around 7:30 a mile! Waaaay to fast so I eased right off to conserve some energy. Plus I had to head up to Truleigh Hill from the path and there WAS some walking! There was also a 100-mile SDW event going on – I looked at the walkers and runners and thought that there isn't one bit of me that fancies that. Just too many miles running in one go.

In other news, just like the car park marathon, I've done an about turn on the Amex one. Having been initially quite giddy, I've put my sensible hat on and thought a) not a fan of running around in circles b) Beachy Head is the day before and c) I've been out pretty much every Sunday for a good chunk of the day for months and another one post-Ironman would probably not be the best news for Mrs Bobkin! She's already counting down the days until it's over so that I'm around a bit more...

sjamesb3466

Jan 31, 2009
Leicester
Ran Atherstone Badger 10k yesterday in the pissing rain. Hardest course I have run (only out of three) as it seems to be all uphill for the first 7k and my legs were too buggered to take advantage of the 3k of downhill to finish. Good learning experience though as my other two 10k's have been very flat and I only finished a minute off my best previous time.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I've had a bug over the last few days, I've not been in any fit state to do anything other than the cycling to work and back. My left knee has been inflamed recently, so I'm taking this opportunity to give it a brief rest of a week or so before the hattrick of parkrun tests against @bignuts.

I think I'll give the Amex marathon a miss. I've played on the pitch multiple times and I'm really not in any fit state to be doing a marathon at pace at the moment. I'm still toying with the idea of Bournemouth so we'll see how my recovery goes in the next few weeks and then see how I'm feeling closer to the time. It might be that the Bright10, as I've already signed up for it, will be my longer distance race remaining this year.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
I've had a bug over the last few days, I've not been in any fit state to do anything other than the cycling to work and back. My left knee has been inflamed recently, so I'm taking this opportunity to give it a brief rest of a week or so before the hattrick of parkrun tests against @bignuts.

I think I'll give the Amex marathon a miss. I've played on the pitch multiple times and I'm really not in any fit state to be doing a marathon at pace at the moment. I'm still toying with the idea of Bournemouth so we'll see how my recovery goes in the next few weeks and then see how I'm feeling closer to the time. It might be that the Bright10, as I've already signed up for it, will be my longer distance race remaining this year.

Long range forecast for Saturday suggests a seafront course with a light cross wind. Plenty of time for that too change though.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Had a few days off at the beginning of August that has suddenly become 3 weeks bar 2 Parkruns and a one way cycle from Hove to Hastings with a wonderful westerly blowing us up and over Beachy Head.

Need to get going again.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Long range forecast for Saturday suggests a seafront course with a light cross wind. Plenty of time for that too change though.

Although I am in no way close to you two legends I have the weekend to myself for a change and was planning on a Hove Prom run to try to get my ladder place back from [MENTION=474]Mr Blobby[/MENTION]

Might be harder than it sounds as I've barely run for two weeks.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Although I am in no way close to you two legends I have the weekend to myself for a change and was planning on a Hove Prom run to try to get my ladder place back from [MENTION=474]Mr Blobby[/MENTION]

Be good if [MENTION=474]Mr Blobby[/MENTION] could turn up if the Loch Ness marathon prep allows.
Failing that 23:42 is needed. 7:37 mile pace will do that.

I could pace first mile @7:50, second @7:45 and then you run home at 7:20 mile pace. job done.

If you don't need a pacer I'm happy to bring along and share a flask of apple cider vinegar, turmeric, himalayan sea salt and a splash of mussel juice.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

You stand more chance of seeing a dodo than those two turning up together...............

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Be good if [MENTION=474]Mr Blobby[/MENTION] could turn up if the Loch Ness marathon prep allows.

I could pace first mile @7:50, second @7:45 and then you run home at 7:20 mile pace. job done.

If you don't need a pacer I'm happy to bring along and share a flask of apple cider vinegar, turmeric, himalayan sea salt and a splash of mussel juice.

Very kind offer. You're becoming the thread pacing whore though the progressive nature proposed is a bit different to the [MENTION=24635]Greg Bobkin[/MENTION] method :lolol:

I want to see how I go on an eight miler I want to attempt tonight first. I've not been in tremendous shape with the trots, a sore calf and now a bit of a cough coming on.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Very kind offer. You're becoming the thread pacing whore though the progressive nature proposed is a bit different to the [MENTION=24635]Greg Bobkin[/MENTION] method :lolol:

I want to see how I go on an eight miler I want to attempt tonight first. I've not been in tremendous shape with the trots, a sore calf and now a bit of a cough coming on.

Yes....pretty sure [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] has got those mile splits the wrong way round :D

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!

I too might have a rare outing at Hove Park this Sat. Not done it for a long, long time.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
I think the big two super egos Ninja and Big Nuts plus Guinees Boy had pencilled in the Prom.

Yes, sorry - my mistake. And that's with my new specs on. I'm not sure the Prom will fit in with Mrs GNT's arrangements, but it's always my own first preference. I did my PB there and like to run past the blue plaque that commemorates this achievement and check that it hasn't been defaced by jealous rivals...……………...

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I took part in another Ragnar Relay at the weekend. This time it was the trail version which I also did last year. It's a fun event, far more chilled than the road version because everyone stays in one campsite and completes three 8k(ish) loops of varying difficulty. I haven't done much trail running this year, so I'd forgotten how hard it was. The red loop especially, was just constant steep ups and downs with lots of twisting and turning. I also had to ditch my trail shoes after the first loop because they gave me a couple of nasty blood blisters (I probably should have run in them in the preceding weeks!) I was 6th to go out of our team of 8, which wasn't too favourable to me as I had to run my legs at around 8.30pm, 3.30am and 12pm. The first two were in the dark, which always feels a bit creepy on the trails. It's very still and quiet, with the odd animal sound to break the silence and the occasional light from another runner's headlamp.

Our team ended up 16th out of 98, 7th in the mixed category. I was pleased with that, given we had a mixture of paces on the team. If everyone had run my pace we would have won the whole thing though :D

I'm a big fan of medals, so I was delighted to pick up 3 at the end. One for the race, another one for completing 2 Ragnars in a year, and a special one for completing the "Canada double".

medals.jpg

I feel like I need to do the White Cliffs Ragnar one year
https://www.runragnar.com/event-detail/relay/whitecliffs#overview

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Just came across this whilst decluttering. I may take this 5th place into my time machine and join the super ego showdown at the Prom. 15355646873901160145919.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here