Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
We'll probably do a roaring trade if we pick up the contract for the ration books.

Banks will no doubt do a roaring trade; food banks that is.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Thanks. Can you post a link to those polls?

I can't see the YouGov one, but Huffington post says:

"But while voters have conceded another vote on the UK’s exit deal is needed, they have not changed their minds in significant numbers over the UK’s membership of the EU, according to a YouGov poll for The Times newspaper."

Have you heard of Google?

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
As the Government can't tell them anything, 30 councils who responded to a Sky News FOI request provided their own Brexit impact studies that they produced themselves - https://news.sky.com/story/councils-preparing-for-social-unrest-amid-brexit-uncertainty-11455918

The East Sussex one is here - https://www.scribd.com/document/385...sessment?secret_password=T5LJbB6RMEGd9QIZ0kgh

All #projectfear #remoners #experts obviously.

Anyway, **** business, **** adult social care and **** ESF & ERDF money in East Sussex - we've got our country back. :thumbsup:

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
Thanks. Can you post a link to those polls?

"But while voters have conceded another vote on the UK’s exit deal is needed, they have not changed their minds in significant numbers over the UK’s membership of the EU, according to a YouGov poll for The Times newspaper."

The poll results can vary depending on the questions (e.g. second referendum on in/out or second referendum on terms of final deal).

Here's some aggregates (it's easier on my eyes if I click table view):

https://whatukthinks.org/eu/questio...he-european-union-asked-after-the-referendum/
https://whatukthinks.org/eu/questio...-exit-from-the-eu-once-they-have-been-agreed/

The polls [MENTION=12101]Mellotron[/MENTION] can't be compared because they are not like-for-like questions. It's also not perfect to compare polls from different pollsters as they use different methodologies.

There's a bunch more polls listed here:

https://whatukthinks.org/eu/opinion-polls/uk-poll-results/

Here's what I posted in another thread (that was subsequently merged with this thread):

Should the United Kingdom remain a member of the European Union, or leave the European Union?

1.png

Do you think there should be a second referendum to accept or reject the terms of Britain’s exit from the EU once they have been agreed?

2.png

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

Have you heard of Google?
Have you learned to read?

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
The poll results can vary depending on the questions (e.g. second referendum on in/out or second referendum on terms of final deal).

https://whatukthinks.org/eu/questio...he-european-union-asked-after-the-referendum/
https://whatukthinks.org/eu/questio...-exit-from-the-eu-once-they-have-been-agreed/

The polls [MENTION=12101]Mellotron[/MENTION] can't be compared because they are not like-for-like questions. It's also not perfect to compare polls from different pollsters as they use different methodologies.

There's a bunch more polls listed here:

https://whatukthinks.org/eu/opinion-polls/uk-poll-results/

Here's what I posted in another thread (that was subsequently merged with this thread):

Should the United Kingdom remain a member of the European Union, or leave the European Union?

View attachment 99333

Do you think there should be a second referendum to accept or reject the terms of Britain’s exit from the EU once they have been agreed?

View attachment 99334

To add to this, here's the questions of the polls posted by [MENTION=12101]Mellotron[/MENTION]. They are not asking a simple question about a second referendum, and they are different questions. Some people, for example, might want Brexit in a form other than a no deal and the deal the government suggests - which the Sky Data poll does not take account of.

Sky Data:

Should there be a referendum asking between Brexit with the deal the government suggests, no deal Brexit or not leaving the EU?
Should 50%
Should not 40%
Don't know 10%

YouGov:

Yes - 42%
No - 40%
Don't Know - 18%

BMG:

I can't find this poll.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

Looking at that, it seems views haven't changed much since 2016.

Obviously before the referendum, polls suggested people would vote to remain. They didn't, and it doesn't look like anything has changed.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Let's face it, we haven't time to discuss what you haven't heard of, we leave in March and even I don't think we'll get a long enough extension of membership for that.

What about the 600M we import from Czech Republic in car parts to keep our automotive industry going. (At 3.9% percent of our parts imports, it's not huge but the same as USA and China). I assume whatever the answer is, we will do the same with the rest of our major car part suppliers, Germany, France, Belgium, Italy, Poland and Spain who all supply us with far more.

Already dealt with the motor trade stuff-Power Train deal with Germany-most of it transits the Reich anyway.As for seeing double,you two are just sides of the same coin.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Was assuming you were spending your time researching what industries will be better off post Brexit. So far we have car park attendants and the tourism industry, perhaps universities. The latter two driven by low sterling though, and we could engineer that within the EU if we chose,so not sure they count.

No I was in the garden watching a tree surgeon deal with some storm damage.As for post-Brexit booming industries,travel will be very busy with all the EU people going home,letting agencies,estate agents,job agencies trying to fill the 3 million vacancies,accordion players,car valeters,delivery drivers,beggars etc.Sky's the limit.Oh,I suppose there might be job losses at AA/RAC with 2 million fewer vehicles on the road.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
Looking at that, it seems views haven't changed much since 2016.

Obviously before the referendum, polls suggested people would vote to remain. They didn't, and it doesn't look like anything has changed.

Yeah, some people have been saying there's been a strong swing in favour of remain / a second referendum / a referendum on the final deal, but I haven't seen this myself, which is why I posted this info before. There seems to have been a small shift recently, but not a large one. But the polls aren't perfect anyway, and there's margin of error and outliers to take into account too. I think pollsters have changed methodologies a bit since 2016 though to account for not getting the referendum result correct.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
No I was in the garden watching a tree surgeon deal with some storm damage.As for post-Brexit booming industries,travel will be very busy with all the EU people going home,letting agencies,estate agents,job agencies trying to fill the 3 million vacancies,accordion players,car valeters,delivery drivers,beggars etc.Sky's the limit.

Looks a lot like an economic depression, not sunny uplands. I am sure you can do better than wanting the population of Britain to become beggars etc. There must be something more from Brexit

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
https://www.holyrood.com/articles/news/half-uk-voters-support-second-eu-referendum-finds-poll

Second Referendum?
Yes - 50%
No - 40%
Don't Know - 10%

YouGov for The Times

Yes - 42%
No - 40%
Don't Know - 18%

BMG Independent Poll

Yes - 44%
No - 27%
Don't Know - 29%

From polls over last 3 months - i.e. previously fairly strongly against a second ref, national sentiment is now swinging quite strongly towards a second ref.

Labour will break cover at some point, the polls are only going into one direction. We are literally staring into the abyss

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
Yeah, some people have been saying there's been a strong swing in favour of remain / a second referendum / a referendum on the final deal, but I haven't seen this myself, which is why I posted this info before. There seems to have been a small shift recently, but not a large one. But the polls aren't perfect anyway, and there's margin of error and outliers to take into account too. I think pollsters have changed methodologies a bit since 2016 though to account for not getting the referendum result correct.

Just to point out, there's a separate page for polls conducted before the referendum:

https://whatukthinks.org/eu/questio...om-remain-a-member-of-the-eu-or-leave-the-eu/

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Not really, because the detail of any agreement would be affected by the deal/no deal we do with the EU.

If anything it would strengthen our hand, as we could say to them pesky Europeans "we have got a deal with China/USA/Pacific Alliance, if you can equal or better it, then lets talk". At the moment we are going in there and they are saying "You got no deals so whatever we offer is better".

It's a bit like car insurance; you get a renewal notice for £250 and ring up to say "I'm cancelling because it's too much", so they say "what can you get it for then ?" and you say "Dunno"; The pressure is on you to accept whatever they offer you or cancel and find better. If, however, you have done a bit of legwork and can say "I got a quote from the AA for £190" then the pressure is on them to match or beat it.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here