Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Great Guitar Riffs - Radio 2 Poll

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I did think it was either that or xylophone.

A riff is just a repeated series of notes or chord patterns so I would say Creep does have one.

Agree with this especially considering it's all based around the Hollies 'Air That I Breathe' and apologies for not clarifying that I didn't think that No Surprises didn't have a guitar riff.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I still don't think you can call any part of Creep a riff...which bit do you mean? The chorus? Or the solo? Otherwise pretty much every modern song has a riff. Surely a riff is a series of notes that a instantly hummable/recognisable?

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
Some great ones on there and all subjective, but I would have had Caroline for Status Quo instead of a Down, Down. Joe Walsh, Rocky Mountain Way or Meadows and Ted Nugent Stranglehold. Ball and Biscuit by White Stripes. You really got me by the Kinks.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Some great choices particularly Van Halen & Blue Oyster Cult.

However might I add :

The Trooper - Iron Maiden
Sad But True - Metallica
Since You've Been Gone - Rainbow
Carry on My Wayward Son - Kansas
Doctor Doctor - UFO
Crazy Train - Ozzy Osborne
747 Strangers in the Night - Saxon
Bomber - Motorhead
Cat Scratch Fever - Ted Nugent
Waiting for an alibi - Thin Lizzy
Foxy Lady - Jimi Hendrix

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
Some great choices particularly Van Halen & Blue Oyster Cult.

However might I add :

The Trooper - Iron Maiden
Sad But True - Metallica
Since You've Been Gone - Rainbow
Carry on My Wayward Son - Kansas
Doctor Doctor - UFO
Crazy Train - Ozzy Osborne
747 Strangers in the Night - Saxon
Bomber - Motorhead
Cat Scratch Fever - Ted Nugent
Waiting for an alibi - Thin Lizzy
Foxy Lady - Jimi Hendrix

Some great ones here. Let me add Paranoid by Black Sabbath and Plug in Baby by Muse.

Cosmic Joker

The Motorik
Apr 14, 2010
Chichester
For me Supernaut or Symptom of the Universe by Black Sabbath are immense. Better than Paranoid which is on the list, but they've gone for the lazy pick the most popular hit single option again. Not that Paranoid isn't more than decent. Also Black Sabbath the song, also Sweet Leaf, oh hell

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
The Radio 2 list has the same problems as a best album list if you limit the list to one per group, as it is clear that the likes of Led Zeppelin, etc clearly should have more than one entry.
Will be interesting to see how the vote goes, as whether it becomes a popular vote for the group rather than the actual riff.
Expect Deep Purple to win as Smoke on the Water usually does.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
Well whom is the only God to make it on the list twice? Ritchie F'ing Blackmore that's who, and why? well he's the Beethoven of 70s rock. A genius of epic proportions, akin to thee.

However, SOTW and LLR&R are not the best riffs on the list, nor the best by each respective band. How you can overlook Lazy, Fireball, Burn, Mistreated, You Fool No One, Into the Fire, Bloodsucker, Speed King, Stormbringer?!? Jesus these lists are clearly complied by people who read Mojo or Q.

As for Rainbow: Since you've been Gone surely over LLR&R, at least Blackers et al (although not the writer of that killer riff) would have been in with a chance. However us real rockers would opt for anything of Rising and thus... utterly lay waste to cities, nay continents, under the sheer weight of its sonic riffage.

It'll be Hendrix, Zep or the Beatles from the radio 2 voters... it is as it always was and always will be. You see: "I've heard of them Gina... That nice Chris Evans plays that sort of stuff..." Jesus wept.

Kosh

http://youtu.be/IBTtVDRvrXg

http://youtu.be/kiOoArNIDpo

Last edited:

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
And where the F is this?!? http://youtu.be/3fAXl97-RFg

God Radio 2 sukcs commercial ass. I refuse to vote, the list is shit, the concept massively flawed... it's not a reflection of the best riffs of the artists therein... it omits too many artists, too many killer riffs. I can only reiterate my desire to break a guitar over the heads of those responsible. Right time for a spliff.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Well whom is the only God to make it on the list twice? Ritchie F'ing Blackmore that's who, and why? well he's the Beethoven of 70s rock. A genius of epic proportions, akin to thee.

However, SOTW and LLR&R are not the best riffs on the list, nor the best by each respective band. How you can overlook Lazy, Fireball, Burn, Mistreated, You Fool No One, Into the Fire, Bloodsucker, Speed King, Stormbringer?!? Jesus these lists are clearly complied by people who read Mojo or Q.

As for Rainbow: Since you've been Gone surely over LLR&R, at least Blackers et al (although not the writer of that killer riff) would have been in with a chance. However us real rockers would opt for anything of Rising and thus... utterly lay waste to cities, nay continents, under the sheer weight of its sonic riffage.

It'll be Hendrix, Zep or the Beatles from the radio 2 voters... it is as it always was and always will be. You see: "I've heard of them Gina... That nice Chris Evans plays that sort of stuff..." Jesus wept.

Kosh

Ooh, you're a bit cross aren't you?

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
Yes, yes I am. Very. It's a typical example of poor research and bowing down to the radio accepted playlist. God forbid they should play anything other than SOTW or Black Night by the Purps, I mean heaven forfend, I mean the world would stop revolving and 10,000 listeners would switch to Heart... terrible.

sherrinned

Aug 12, 2003
West Worthing

Kosh

Shirley one Mr Edward Van Halen played on two tracks, one of them being presented as by Michael Jackson. Just saying ???

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
Good point... an oversight on my part. Blackers, however, is the only credited writer of two entries is he not?!? Just saying. It's academic anyway, it's flawed and a quality street standard BBC radio friendly selection box of acceptable niceties. Slippers, pipe and toe tapping homeliness... lovely. I prefer epic, diabolic and waking up naked in a bush somewhere in the outskirts of Newcastle.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here