Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Keep Off!

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
Will Newcastle be having a pitch invasion I wonder?

They did last time they got promoted from the Championship.

7ac05b95f861c658440813fd87611517.jpg

wehatepalace

Limbs
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
Will Newcastle be having a pitch invasion I wonder?

Maybe they won't but there again they've not been out of the top flight for 30 odd years, they've not lost their home with the subsequent fight for a new one and to my knowledge they weren't bottom it the football league on the verge of going out of business!

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
What a waste of 30 pages (or however many posts per page you have set up.)

1. There WILL be a pitch invasion (at Wigan or Bristol City).
2. It will be 99% good natured.
3. The players will then come out to show their appreciation.
4. Everyone goes home.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
What a waste of 30 pages (or however many posts per page you have set up.)

1. There WILL be a pitch invasion (at Wigan or Bristol City).
2. It will be 99% good natured.
3. The players will then come out to show their appreciation.
4. Everyone goes home.
Agree with 1-4. Disagree about the waste of time. What else are we meant to do on NSC today...?

MikeySmall

Jul 7, 2003
BRIGHTON
Sorry Al. I've stayed out of the majority of the thread for the simple reason that I can see both sides. I won't be invading anything from the back of the WSU and would like to applaud the players IF and WHEN we get promotion :lolol: but we saw at Boro last year that these things are inevitable and impossible to stop.

However, on the Goldstone Ground invasions I can think of a number of different reasons for invasions and I joined in, or not, pragmatically.

Ones that were harmless fun / celebrations that I joined in

Wendy's goal v Ipswich
Promotion v Bristol Rovers 1988

Ones that I joined in that were not fun but not about fighting
Lincoln
York

Not about fighting other fans anyway. Fighting Archer and Bellotti....

Ones that were about fighting that I stayed away from

Sheffield United

Ones that were dodgy that I avoided

All the goals against Millwall in the playoff semi.

One size does not fit all and never has.

I distinctly remember Leeds fans rushing the north stand in 1990 (2-2 draw). Sat in the south stand with my dad next to a Leeds fan chatting all game. He said his farewells before running onto the pitch towards the north stand. Weird memory as I was only 10.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
This thread is like a boxer writing an essay on how they're going to win a fight.

It doesn't matter what we write in here. People will be on that pitch. And in my opinion, we all bloody deserve it. Where else is all of that emotion built up over the last 20 years supposed to go?

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
I appreciate they're impossible to stop given the circumstances, but a polite request (for that's what this is) is entirely appropriate.

Other pitch invasions which spring to mind which weren't fun -

Tottenham (late 1970s)
Chelsea (1983)

I've been given access to the Argus archive for a project. There's a lot of images of stuff happening on the pitches from matches where I didn't realise there were pitch invasions leading to fighting. Not nice. All well and good to have a fuzzy feeling about The Goldstone days, but some were pretty hairy.

I do also appreciate, of course, that this isn't the central issue to the club's request. But that isn't the point being made here.

Polite request is ok, but a banning order threat isn't particularly polite. Pitch invasions these days are nowhere near what they used to be when all 4 stands would half empty onto the pitch. I can't see the west lower or east family stand invading in big numbers. It will be mostly from the north and a good few hundred only. It won't last long. They will return to their seats quite quickly. I really don't see the problem. I also can't see the 1980's trouble scenario at the Amex either, especially v Wigan or Brizzle. Yes the club have to ask politely for fans to stay off the pitch, but the threat of not doing the lap of honour or threatening banning orders is not necessary after all we have been through in 20years (in fact 26years since the club went downhill after the 1991 play off final). Also why would the players do a lap of honour at Wigan with 3 games to play? It's just a bit over zealous from the club. They should get with it, get happy and embrace the celebrations by playing Sussex by the sea at the end of the game, Brighton Blue and any other Albion records as we all jump up and down in the stands and the fans on the pitch enjoy themselves. Not issue threats.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Sorry Al. I've stayed out of the majority of the thread for the simple reason that I can see both sides. I won't be invading anything from the back of the WSU and would like to applaud the players IF and WHEN we get promotion :lolol: but we saw at Boro last year that these things are inevitable and impossible to stop.

However, on the Goldstone Ground invasions I can think of a number of different reasons for invasions and I joined in, or not, pragmatically.

Ones that were harmless fun / celebrations that I joined in

Wendy's goal v Ipswich
Promotion v Bristol Rovers 1988

Ones that I joined in that were not fun but not about fighting
Lincoln
York

Not about fighting other fans anyway. Fighting Archer and Bellotti....

Ones that were about fighting that I stayed away from

Sheffield United

Ones that were dodgy that I avoided

All the goals against Millwall in the playoff semi.

One size does not fit all and never has.

I remember one in particular against Pompey (FA Cup?) which, to this naive whippersnapper, seemed a harmless celebration before the #twats came and joined us on the pitch for some fisticuffs and I scampered back through the North into Hove Park.

Seems like a lifetime ago though.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Check last season's parade and see how many have cleared off.

If by my going on the pitch I cause a load of people that couldn't be bothered to stay last year despite the players best efforts, to up and leave when we've had a bit of success this year, then I can live with that.

Surely the minor difference is that we didn't get promoted last season?

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
yeah ...we dont want any showings of uncontrolled euphoria if we manage to confirm promotion at a home game ....please remain in your seat and finish your knitting/ crossword/ flask of horlicks where you will be waved at by the players on their lap of honour.....really....??? really.....??? stroooooooth....!!

Comedy Steve

We're f'ing brilliant
Oct 20, 2003
BN6
32 pages and this entire thread may be academic if we aren't promoted Monday. People get shouted at (rightly) for discussing 'who do we sign next season in the Prem' but apparently on this thread it's mostly a foregone conclusion...?!

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Pitch invasion = tinpot. Show some class and respect people.

Sent from my LG-M210 using Tapatalk

Can you explain what you mean by 'tinpot'? I have a real problem with that phrase, I don't think I understand it, because it never seems to make sense.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Perfectly reasonable request by club. Majority of fans will want to see players and there families not fans on pitch. Hopefully with no one on pitch maybe Bloom will go to half way line and address cowd and give crowd opportunity to thank him.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here