Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Derby

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
A team of hammer throwers, from what I saw - very old-fashioned. And seemingly a CLASSIC set of overexpectant fans. I'm always quite happy to see them implode after Christmas, like a disused power station's cooling tower.

Or like a carelessly cooked soufflé :lolol:

Sleaford Seagull

Nov 17, 2010
Sleaford
I live in Ilkeston bang in between Derby and Nottingham and it's an interesting mix of supporters. Probably 60:40 in Forest's favour for support but the Derby fans around here do come across as more arrogant. Most I speak to are adamant the autos are still locked on and that Boro are their only threat. Bringing up FFP and spending just gets the same response as Boro give about chairman covering it. Would love for Forest to make 6th and beat Derby in the playoffs with us and Hull going up autos, can't see it though!

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Derby team and style does not have changed so much even from Clough's team. Resilient, so I don't expect them to crash suddenly.

Derby 0-3 home defeat to Reading last season was one of the most shock results I can recall.

Bent was probably a bad idea for them (and us). I would not have signed Blackman either.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Boro get quite a bad rap (well from some precious souls anyway) for empty seats at The Riverside, but it's, as you say, because of the way the cameras are set up. It's a bit similar to the Amex where the cameras are situated in the triple tier main stand shooting towards the usually more sparsely populated East Stand.

Not really. They never filled the ground when they extended it (filled the corners) - and that was in the Premier League.

Boro5707

Dec 21, 2015
There is a huge difference though.

They can fill there stadium more than once a season

They also have the fastest growing economy in the uk. Were we are getting job losses daily. 3000 steel workers a few month back and the knock on effect of 10k people out of work in total. Add boulby potash mine another 1k and the list goes on. Just to rub it in the government announce this week a billion pound steel contract with the US for steel for the London Underground.
20 years ago I left Teesside in the middle of my A levels to join the army, because my family were struggling. I spent 15 years in the army gaining a degree as an engineer while serving and left as a sergeant 3 years ago. I now work/live self employed in Newcastle as I couldn't get a job well enough payed on Teesside. Its no coincidence that we get 30k and 33k over Xmas when people are home for Xmas and sold 6k for blackburn away on Boxing Day.
We are around our historical second tier average and if we go up this season we will average 28k plus. We are in the top 20 historical attendences in English football history.

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
They also have the fastest growing economy in the uk. Were we are getting job losses daily. 3000 steel workers a few month back and the knock on effect of 10k people out of work in total. Add boulby potash mine another 1k and the list goes on. Just to rub it in the government announce this week a billion pound steel contract with the US for steel for the London Underground.
20 years ago I left Teesside in the middle of my A levels to join the army, because my family were struggling. I spent 15 years in the army gaining a degree as an engineer while serving and left as a sergeant 3 years ago. I now work/live self employed in Newcastle as I couldn't get a job well enough payed on Teesside. Its no coincidence that we get 30k and 33k over Xmas when people are home for Xmas and sold 6k for blackburn away on Boxing Day.
We are around our historical second tier average and if we go up this season we will average 28k plus. We are in the top 20 historical attendences in English football history.

Fair comment.
Derby is prosperous and is one of Britain's few successful manufacturing centres left.
As for us, our gates are partly inflated by people in love with the stadium. However, the Brighton area is more football territory than Hull as it produces more players and Hull is still a rugby league stronghold.

Boro5707

Dec 21, 2015
Fair comment.
Derby is prosperous and is one of Britain's few successful manufacturing centres left.
As for us, our gates are partly inflated by people in love with the stadium. However, the Brighton area is more football territory than Hull as it produces more players and Hull is still a rugby league stronghold.

Teeside is a massive footballing area. We have the largest junior football league in Europe. The academy is second to none, under 18 won the league last season. Beating arsenal, man city, Man U ect. Under 18's play dynmo kiev next week in the champions league having beating the French and Italian champions already in the competition.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
I like Derby and I'd like to see them in the Premier League, just so long as we're promoted too :D

Boro5707

Dec 21, 2015
Not really. They never filled the ground when they extended it (filled the corners) - and that was in the Premier League.

Really, have you figures to back that up?

image.jpg

Langley

Mar 10, 2008
Waltham Chase, Hants
Had a dream the other night that we lost 10-0 to Derby. Wasn't at the game or watching or listening - just getting updates on my phone. We were 1-0 down after a minute, 3-0 down 15 minutes in. Early in the second half I looked again, and it was 6-0. Couldn't understand what was going on. No red cards, so that didn't explain it. I knew we had injuries in defence, but Dunk and Goldson couldn't both be playing that badly surely? I noticed that three of the six goals were penalties. But even if it was a dodgy ref, surely we shouldn't be six down? Next time I looked it was 8-0. Then, on about 85 mins, I saw they had scored a ninth. Knew they were going to get to double figures then. Even my gf (no interest in football whatsoever) comforted me, saying she'd seen about it on the news. 10-0. Ten bloody nil! I hate Derby now, too.

Would be interesting to see your player ratings !!!

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Would be interesting to see your player ratings !!!

I was just following it on my mobile - I wasn't there... Just hope it wasn't a premonition!

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Yep, you filled the ground in three seasons leading up to expanison in 1998... and haven't sincet. (Good averages at times, I'll give you that).

Yes, that accounts for the 29,000+ from 1996 to 1998.

But it's a bit harsh to suggest 34,386 in 1999 and 33,393 in 2000 isn't "filling the ground" when their capacity was pushed to 35,000, surely? 32,012 in 2004 isn't bad either.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Yes, that accounts for the 29,000+ from 1996 to 1998.

But it's a bit harsh to suggest 34,386 in 1999 and 33,393 in 2000 isn't "filling the ground" when their capacity was pushed to 35,000, surely? 32,012 in 2004 isn't bad either.

Yes, hence why I said "Good averages at times, I'll give you that".

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here