Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Since more and more people are now starting to realise the relevance of 9th Dec 2017, I thought I would have a quick look back on this thread. Although a lot of posters had realised the implications within a day of publication.

http://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?343854-BrExit-the-countdown-to-11PM-GMT-on-Friday-29th-of-March-2019/page4032

I have to say Baldseagull was the first to call the result at an impressive 13.17 on the 9th Dec :bowdown:

Because the only model that works for not having a border for Northern Ireland would involve being in the single market, even then there would be stops and checks if we are not also in the customs union. This problem has not been resolved, it has been pushed off into the distance with a promise that if there is no deal, we will remain so close to EU customs and single market regulations as to make smuggling pointless. I rather think M. Barnier is doing his best to not let it show they have just successfully castrated Brexit.

You wouldn't happen to have the numbers for this week's lottery, would you :whistle:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Scotland will want independence once Brexit finishes, & this time their vote will go towards Yes, because of the betrayal of the rest of the U.K.

bold assertion. the economics still dont work for independent Scotland, and they still leave the EU. i believe the polling is significantly against leaving, though we know how wrong that can be.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Time for May to stand up for what she beloeves, reverse Brexit and save the country. Or piss off and let someone with some backbone do it. Silly moo.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
May knows she's going to be history once the crappy Brexit deal is known so she isn't the least bit fussed about getting us a good deal. Her wealth will cushion her. Worst Prime Minister in my lifetime and I lived through the Thatcher nightmare.
What a huge joke we have become in such a small space of time.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Since more and more people are now starting to realise the relevance of 9th Dec 2017, I thought I would have a quick look back on this thread. Although a lot of posters had realised the implications within a day of publication.

http://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?343854-BrExit-the-countdown-to-11PM-GMT-on-Friday-29th-of-March-2019/page4032

I have to say Baldseagull was the first to call the result at an impressive 13.17 on the 9th Dec :bowdown:

You wouldn't happen to have the numbers for this week's lottery, would you :whistle:

I found it strange at the time how relaxed, not only the threads resident Brexit hardcore, but the Tory party Brexit hardcore were at the time of the no hard border promise. Perhaps they thought like DD did, that this is just something we said, not legally binding so we don't really have to stick to it.
This weeks national lottery numbers will be 6 differently numbered integers in the range 1 to 59, so the wise choice is any of those, unless you ask Jacob Rees-Mogg, who might say there is no reason at all we shouldn't pick numbers higher than 59, after all the lottery needs us and our money more than we need them.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
bold assertion. the economics still dont work for independent Scotland, and they still leave the EU. i believe the polling is significantly against leaving, though we know how wrong that can be.

The economics don't work for Brexit, but it got the nod over remaining.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex

If A equals B and B equals C, then C equals A again. Unless a border is imposed in The Irish Sea, which isn't going to happen, I've always found it bemusing that people are so sanguine, indifferent or just plan ignorant to the fact that whatever is cooked up or not in regards to the Irish border also applies closer to home at Dover/Cheriton and still came out with the 'no deal' WTO rules nonsense. Then again I don't suppose driving a bus down The M20 with 'lets give £350m a week to Kent Police and Phase 4 of Operation Stack instead' would have been such a vote winner 2 years ago.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
May knows she's going to be history once the crappy Brexit deal is known so she isn't the least bit fussed about getting us a good deal. Her wealth will cushion her. Worst Prime Minister in my lifetime and I lived through the Thatcher nightmare.

Farage and his kids with their German nationality, Lawson with French nationality, Mogg making millions out of it, Redwood making sure all his mates take their funds elsewhere, why would they do this if Brexit was so good ???

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I'm just waiting now for the last Hurrah from the 'just get on with it' brigade.

You know the ones -

They don't understand what they voted for
They don't understand the complexity and implications of what they voted for
They can't be bothered to find out what any of the background, complexity and implications mean.

And they then shout 'MY OPINION IS JUST AS VALID AS ANYONE ELSE - WHY DON'T WE JUST GET ON WITH IT'

Unfortunately, I think it's part of a bigger problem where everyone knows their rights, but don't want to accept their responsibilities :down:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Unless a border is imposed in The Irish Sea, which isn't going to happen...

ive always been bemused why possibilities have been dismissed out of hand. no compromise from either side, all in or all out.

except the Spanish, apparently they came to accept accommodation long ago. its funny on reflection how that was supposed to be the big contention and Ireland barely mentioned in the pre-vote, and how significant Ireland became almost immediately after.

Last edited:

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

May's only existing as Prime Minister, She will go down as one of the all time worst PM's in history. She has cocked up and backtracked and evaded so often she can't even remember the chaos she has caused. All those little mantra's and catchphrases to cover up her inability to unite, lead and have any sort of clear vision of how to govern. remember all those lovely little sayings ?

After effectively losing the Tory Majority in an unnecessary general Election " Nothing has Changed " ! " There's no Magic Money Tree ".... see, DUP, and best of all, " Strong and Stable ". It's just amazing she can still look in a mirror.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
ive always been bemused why possibilities have been dismissed out of hand. no compromise from either side, all in or all out.

What possibilities? International treaties, obligations and laws are international treaties, obligations and laws for everyone, unless you expected special treatment just because we're British and Boris Johnson thinks it's a runner. We could have just walked away and have the same arrangements with The EU as Belarus does, had we prepared for it or even Norway had we prepared for that. Purely on customs checks with existing technology on The Swiss/French and Norwegain/Swedish border there are cameras and delays. The Port of Dover and the 2.1 million lorries that pass through each year are not equipped for it, let alone Northern Ireland which has more crossings than the The EU does in the east from Finland to Greece.

Instead we basically just assumed that German car manufacturers would demand a special deal, because it was in their interest apparently and we'd have our cake and eat it etc. Personally when I saw Owen Paterson saying that to Dermot Murnaghan on Sky News and when pressed as to why there would be be deal because it's in their interest and answered 'because there has to be', I got the distinct impression he didn't have a clue what he was talking about and was just an arrogant, public school, Oxbridge ***t like so many of these cretins driving this car crash are.

Another problem since day 1 has been the fundamental fact that The EU know how things work and what special kind of ****heads they were dealing with, we didn't have a Scooby. It's an international treaty organisation going back decades, enshrined in EU and domestic law of it's 27 other member states. Which particular articles or which which particular treaties did we want changed to have this wonderful deal? We don't have a clue.

Never mind - blue passports though. It's been worth it for that. :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here