Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Seagulls to defy the odds....

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Probably, most of our hosts (14 out of 18) have been left scratching their heads this season - Stoke being the latest.:)

I am genuinely interested to know why you don't want European competition?

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Defied the odds by getting there mate m

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
We are absolutely shocking away. I'd also take 0-0 right now and I think our only "winnable" game left is Man U at home :mad:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Meanwhile, Middlesbrough will be losing at home to Millwall in that there little old Championship, and dropping out of the top 6.

Perhaps we can all have a little chuckle at that when the scores are read out at full time.

#NotForgotten2016

lancyclaret

Jan 10, 2014
I am genuinely interested to know why you don't want European competition?

I am one of the older generation. I was too young when Burnley reached the last 8 of the European Cup in 1961 (lost 5-4 on agg to Uwe Seeler's Hamburg) but was at school for our last Europe campaign in 1967 after we had finished 3rd behind Liverpool & Leeds (it was the UEFA Cup - now Europa Cup) and we lost again in quarter-finals 3-2 on agg to Eintracht Frankfurt after drawing 1-1 in the away leg.

For most younger (40 or less) Burnley fans, qualifying for Europe is a dream, but for me it could be a poisoned chalice. Unless we finish above Arsenal, we won't make the group stages and would have to play THREE qualifying rounds just to reach the group stages. More likely, there would be an embarrassing early exit (West Ham or Hull City style) against some Eastern European side with an unpronounceable name.:) Plus injuries etc....tiredness for PL games.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I'd be relieved (actually pleased) to draw as long as Leicester don't win at Palace.
I'm happy to agree on a point. Look, you speak to Sean, I'll speak to Chris, let's get this agreed.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I am one of the older generation. I was too young when Burnley reached the last 8 of the European Cup in 1961 (lost 5-4 on agg to Uwe Seeler's Hamburg) but was at school for our last Europe campaign in 1967 after we had finished 3rd behind Liverpool & Leeds (it was the UEFA Cup - now Europa Cup) and we lost again in quarter-finals 3-2 on agg to Eintracht Frankfurt after drawing 1-1 in the away leg.

For most younger (40 or less) Burnley fans, qualifying for Europe is a dream, but for me it could be a poisoned chalice. Unless we finish above Arsenal, we won't make the group stages and would have to play THREE qualifying rounds just to reach the group stages. More likely, there would be an embarrassing early exit (West Ham or Hull City style) against some Eastern European side with an unpronounceable name.:) Plus injuries etc....tiredness for PL games.

So for now and ever more you will be targeting 9th in the Premier League.

lancyclaret

Jan 10, 2014
So for now and ever more you will be targeting 9th in the Premier League.

Domestic cups?:)

I've seen us in two losing semi-finals. FA Cup in 1974 when we were FAVOURITES to beat Newcastle. Lost 0-2 (hit the woodwork three times).

But worse was in 1969 League Cup semi-final when we were a top flight team against THIRD division Swindon. After both teams won the away leg 2-1, there was a decider at The Hawthorns. Swindon scored an early goal and were leading 1-0 up until the 90th minute when I left to avoid the crush.

When I got home to watch the highlights, not only had Burnley equalised to take the match into extra-time but they then went ahead in the FIRST minute of extra-time. Sadly, Swindon levelled and an Arthur Bellamy own goal (sliced a clearance into his own net) sealed the Clarets' fate.

I was slightly consoled when Swindon, inspired by Don Rogers, beat Arsenal 3-1 at Wembley.

Last edited:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Meanwhile, Middlesbrough will be losing at home to Millwall in that there little old Championship, and dropping out of the top 6.

Perhaps we can all have a little chuckle at that when the scores are read out at full time.

#NotForgotten2016

I'm going to glare at them tonight in the U23s match at the Amex. I'm sure some of them invaded the pitch and assaulted our players.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
We need to start better than at Palace.

We are a different side away so I hope we take this one on and have some fire in our bellies.

Cautiously optimistic can get something

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Without our best defender Ben Mee

I agree he's excellent. Why does Tarkowski get all the credit (and previously the one who went to Everton whose name escapes me)? I'm not convinced Tarkowski is England quality at all.

Incidentally, if it turns out you don't have a song that goes "Ben Mee, shape me, any way you want me", it's going to be an absolute travesty of biblical proportions (one for the kids there).

Also, in hoping Palace beat Leicester, you're very much on the wrong board here...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here