Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Warren Morgan- Brighton & Hove Council Leader- Resigns

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I'll come in here- in full knowledge that we've never seen eye to eye on this.

The Greens weren't prepared to run the council

You can say that again - didn't stop Kitkat sprinting for the leadership like an Amex early leaver after a train..

They had no majority in chamber and, on the committees where the big decisions on local policy were made, there was a lack of majority too. So they were never really 'in control'.

But they were the biggest overall party and a Green was in charge of the City. Suggests that their policies weren't particularly compromise worthy.

I had a few exchanges with Warren at the time. Some he was reluctant to answer. Firstly, if the Greens were so bad, why wasn't he forming an alliance with the Tories for the good of the town ? He said no alliances as it would be case by case.

It would have to be case by case. A Tory / Labour pact would last about two minutes.

Secondly, the majority of what got through needed support of other parties yet Labour were quite happy for The Argus to put the boot in and hide behind the Greens coattails.

Sorry, don't agree with any of this sentence. If "the majority" only needed support that suggests that the Greens were in charge since they were able to get some policies through without support. The idea that Labour somehow colluded with The Argus is supposition at best. Why would Labour - and only Labour - work to put the boot in with the local equivalent of the Daily Mail? The Argus was down on the Greens because their chaotic leadership was an easy target. Remember wine-gate?

The local press was happy to highlight mostly benign follies but not give proper analysis of how it all works.

Like employing a "Biosphere Officer" on 45k a year to basically ruin kids' parks?

All this came at a time of large government cuts and other parties playing the populist hand with no council tax increases. Until Labour got in.... and then there were. And somehow that was okay.

Agreed - the Tories at a national level have deliberately been underfunding local government and have tried to target the left leaning ones the most.

I have nothing against Morgan. But he certainly knows how to play the game

Not THAT well if he's just been sacked by Momentum.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
You can say that again - didn't stop Kitkat sprinting for the leadership like an Amex early leaver after a train..

But they were the biggest overall party and a Green was in charge of the City. Suggests that their policies weren't particularly compromise worthy.

It would have to be case by case. A Tory / Labour pact would last about two minutes.

Sorry, don't agree with any of this sentence. If "the majority" only needed support that suggests that the Greens were in charge since they were able to get some policies through without support. The idea that Labour somehow colluded with The Argus is supposition at best. Why would Labour - and only Labour - work to put the boot in with the local equivalent of the Daily Mail? The Argus was down on the Greens because their chaotic leadership was an easy target. Remember wine-gate?

Like employing a "Biosphere Officer" on 45k a year to basically ruin kids' parks?

Agreed - the Tories at a national level have deliberately been underfunding local government and have tried to target the left leaning ones the most.

Not THAT well if he's just been sacked by Momentum.

I'm pretty sure Labour didn't collude The Argus. They didn't need to. The Argus was happy to boot the boot in. Whatever the Greens tried to do was going to be torn apart. I always felt sorry for Bill, a moderate and a good leader.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
This is symptomatic of a wider problem in politics and service. There's such a polarisation of views now, both between the Tories and Labour, and within both parties that all the leaders can do is jockey for power. May isn't delivering Brexit, she's mediating in an inter-party war. Labour aren't providing an opposition either, it's just Corbyn-Or-Lump-It and their own Brexit policy seems to change with the wind. Local and national services are suffering as a result of blatant partisanship and popularism where ideology trumps everything. This is why there's room for the centre, this is why Macron got in in France - because the compromise needed to hold the centre ground means that public servants actually deliver public service instead of self-serving ideology box-ticking and plays for personal power.

Good luck Warren - you were too good for this City.

The irony is I suspect the majority of the population want people from the centre, unfortunately the more vocal (biggest liars?) from both extremes are winning the fight.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
My first thought when I saw him on the tele last night was, what a slob. Potential heart attack waiting to happen. You'd have thought people in public office would do something about their appearance - lose some weight for a start - in fact in his case a whole lot of weight.

Sounds like something Goebbels might have said about Churchill in 1939...

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I'm not going to rip your post apart and nor am I going really going to defend Labour but ....

They had no majority in chamber <snip>. So they were never really 'in control'.

Labour don't have a majority either.

The Argus to put the boot in and hide behind the Greens coattails.

The Argus 'put the boot in' because the Greens' were so shambolic. They may well have been naive but they kept shooting themselves in the foot continually. Everything from poor management, in fighting, a very divisive leader who didn't understand he needed public support to do things, getting involved in petty things that they should like colours of bikes, Ben Duncan ( need we say any more ), Mrs Kitcat's clear disdain for locals etc. So the implication that The Argus 'putting in the boot' was unfair or purely political is stretching it a bit. [/QUOTE]

An example of this was the bus lanes that caused so much outrage. This initiative started before the Greens time- but again they got the blame. The cycle lanes was a Tory thing wasn't it ?

Indeed - both schemes from previous regimes BUT the Greens zealously progressed them without question. In fact most of the time their was spent attempting to pursue their ideals regardless of opposition from other parties, taxpayers or voters. Valley Gardens is a perfect example - and something that will very likely be the undoing of Labour.

The local press was happy to highlight mostly benign follies and make capital on internal disputes (the Greens struggled in this area) but not give proper analysis of how governance works.

And the local press act in this way whatever party is in control.

Don't think my eyes are too green, you know there were councilors who really didn't help things, but most were pretty good.

All this came at a time of large government cuts and other parties playing the populist hand with no council tax increases. Until Labour got in.... and then there were. And somehow that was okay.

It's not OK - it's ultra hypocritical of Labour to have increased the council tax by 6% after the bashing they used to give the Greens over attempts to increase by similar amounts. That said, Kitcat's grandstanding at council during one of the budget meetings where he wanted an increase that would trigger a referendum was one of the worst, most rude, ignorant, egotistical and disrespectful speeches I've ever seen from a councillor in the chamber. The Greens stating they wouldn't accept cuts didn't do them any favours either - like they had a choice !

I'm sure some of the Green councillors were fine but as a collective they appeared more interested in council awards, being seen to be trail blazing and blinded by their political dogma. Certainly during the contact I had with them they were rude and preferred to play politics than work with councillors of other parties to resolve real local problems.

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
Momentum forces out another good local servant, he was never going to last once he spoke out about antisemitism in the Labour party.
Spot on shame a decent man has been the target of the Momentum gang a disgrace that’s happening all over the country

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
“I would have wished to lead the Labour group to a deserved win in next year’s elections before retiring in 2020. However, the local Labour Party and others have made it clear they do not want me to do so..."

This isn't a resignation, they've effectively sacked him.

Good riddance. Basically, a Tory with a red rosette.

Wow. Really? I resigned from the labour party when Mr Tony started giving state money to faith schools, but I still voted for them. In the interim it seems that 'no compromise with the electorate' has become a thing again. It is such a shame because the country really needs a decent labour government (a la Mr Tony, albeit with someone less bonkers than Brown as a wing man) again. Unfortunately, for many, even one of these (below) will attract floating votes next time if there is no compromise with the electorate:

pig.jpg

Last edited:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Complete and utter rubbish. The bloke is as far removed from being a Tory as you can get. His Labour credentials are rock-solid. Actually, the reason why he made so many tough and unpopular decisions was that he was having to clear up the mess that your beloved Greens made when they were "running" the town.

When the Greens took over in 2011 Brighton was ranked 322nd out of 358 for recycling, when they left in 2015 we'd dropped to 337th. That's worse than Tower Hamlets. The best chance your party has had of proving that it's not just a bunch of yoghurt knitters but a credible party with new and innovative ideas and you failed on making us more environmentally-friendly. It's your raison d'etre for Christ's sake. Utter shambles.

One major factor in that failure was the open warfare with Mark Turner GMB leader and his bin men. And who is it that has been one of Warren Morgan's fiercest critics within the local party and stands to increase his political clout? The very same Mark Turner - a man who has proven that he's willing to let this town become a rubbish tip if it suits.

Give me one Warren Morgan over a hundred of your useless Green councillors any day of the week.

The voice of reason, as always :bowdown:

More importantly, was your quest for Bovril eventually fruitful? :thumbsup:

synavm

May 2, 2013
A case of factionism over actual track record, here. Very sad. Momentum should thank their lucky stars that FPTP is a thing, because I reckon if there was an SDP type party that people actually thought had a chance, half of Labour’s voters and a chunk of Tory and Lib Dem support would disappear virtually over night.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
It’s amazing that effectively volunteers look after that much responsibility.

Spot on which makes it all the more surprising there aren't too many rotten boroughs. By and large there are three reasons why people do this - they have a burning desire to make a difference and be a good citizen (Warren Morgan, Robert Nemeth and many, many more), or they're born to it /got lucky and see it as a noblesse oblige (anyone with the surname Theobald) or they do it through political or personal ambition (most recently Ben Duncan from the Greens springs to mind).

We want as many of the first sort as possible, the second lot still have best intentions at heart even if they are prone to arrogance and lack the ability to see the whole picture. Unfortunately, it's the schemers and backstabbers from the 3rd pool who are on the rise locally.

I think it was [MENTION=2223]e77[/MENTION] who hit the nail on the head though with the observation that you still have to put the ground work in to have any longevity in local politics. It's not about photo opportunities protesting outside Israeli-owned shops but knocking on doors, hours spent on the phone dealing with constituents and their problems and countless dull but necessary meetings on things you otherwise wouldn't give two hoots about. This is what usually sees off the wrong 'uns.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Spot on which makes it all the more surprising there aren't too many rotten boroughs. By and large there are three reasons why people do this - they have a burning desire to make a difference and be a good citizen (Warren Morgan, Robert Nemeth and many, many more), or they're born to it /got lucky and see it as a noblesse oblige (anyone with the surname Theobald) or they do it through political or personal ambition (most recently Ben Duncan from the Greens springs to mind).

We want as many of the first sort as possible, the second lot still have best intentions at heart even if they are prone to arrogance and lack the ability to see the whole picture. Unfortunately, it's the schemers and backstabbers from the 3rd pool who are on the rise locally.

I think it was [MENTION=2223]e77[/MENTION] who hit the nail on the head though with the observation that you still have to put the ground work in to have any longevity in local politics. It's not about photo opportunities protesting outside Israeli-owned shops but knocking on doors, hours spent on the phone dealing with constituents and their problems and countless dull but necessary meetings on things you otherwise wouldn't give two hoots about. This is what usually sees off the wrong 'uns.

Again spot on. Glad you mentioned Robert Nemeth who represents the ward next to mine. We're right on the edge of the other ward and therefore get to see a lot of his community activity. He's dedicated, hard working, ecological, approachable and a Tory who I would vote for without hesitation if I ever moved three streets or so in a westerly direction.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here