Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Albums Thread 2018

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Hello NSC friends,

Exciting news - An Awkward Bow, my second album, is now available to you very good people to stream / download a full two days prior to its official release via Bandcamp....

https://damselfly1.bandcamp.com

Unfortunately the CD version is not quite ready. It's a long'ish story, but suffice to say that being a supporter of all things 'British Cottage Industry' can leave you in a bit of a spot when your one-man printing organisation succumbs to a nasty bout of post-festive flu and is unable to work for a few weeks. I think you'll all agree that Tom's health is far more important than having to wait a few extra days or weeks for a shiny thing that spins around and plays music. If you want though, you can order the CD now using the above link and you still get an immediate high-quality download of the album to tie you over until all is well again and the nice sleeves land on my doormat. I will of course endeavour to keep you posted on when the CDs will be shipping out as soon as I know myself.

The Bandcamp page has been redesigned to reflect the feel of the new album. Slate greys, British Racing Green and Chalk White nestle alongside one another in an organic palletscape (?) of the British Isles' magnificent countryside. I hope you like the look of it.....I hope you like the sound of it.

Yours, for now anyway,

Darren x

Best of luck with this matey. I'm genuinely in awe of anyone with proper musical talent.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
In the gloomy depths of bleak mid Winter mid Sussex, something stirs. A melancholy monk stalks the land, walks the monochrome Downs, orchestrating symphonies in his head. When his work is done, under a blue blood moon, he releases his creation into a wider world...

An Awkward Bow is the second album from Damselfly, aka NSC’s own [MENTION=1965]Hungry Joe.[/MENTION] It builds on its March 2017 predecessor V.O.T.T.O.L (Variations On The Theme Of Loss). It builds. Builds. BUILDS. It’s fifty shades of grey, all of them good. Save for some sparse guitar-growls and sad picked-out piano motifs, it’s electronica melodia, in places so ambient as to be almost subliminal. The tracks build and fade, mysterious as mist. It’s made for Nordic noir. Stand-out tracks? The very beautiful Sub Rosa (hints of Hans Zimmer’s Interstellar score) and the astonishing primordial scream of Let It Flood.

If this isn’t a major breakthrough year for Damselfly I’ll eat my half ’n’ half scarf.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
In the gloomy depths of bleak mid Winter mid Sussex, something stirs. A melancholy monk stalks the land, walks the monochrome Downs, orchestrating symphonies in his head. When his work is done, under a blue blood moon, he releases his creation into a wider world...

An Awkward Bow is the second album from Damselfly, aka NSC’s own [MENTION=1965]Hungry Joe.[/MENTION] It builds on its March 2017 predecessor V.O.T.T.O.L (Variations On The Theme Of Loss). It builds. Builds. BUILDS. It’s fifty shades of grey, all of them good. Save for some sparse guitar-growls and sad picked-out piano motifs, it’s electronica melodia, in places so ambient as to be almost subliminal. The tracks build and fade, mysterious as mist. It’s made for Nordic noir. Stand-out tracks? The very beautiful Sub Rosa (hints of Hans Zimmer’s Interstellar score) and the astonishing primordial scream of Let It Flood.

If this isn’t a major breakthrough year for Damselfly I’ll eat my half ’n’ half scarf.

ooophs ... hope The Argus 'spy' isn't lurkin'

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
The tUnE-YaRdS - 'I can feel you creep into my life'

(The mixed case spelling is deliberate)

An album that is guaranteed to get a tune or two stuck in your head for a long time. To my ears it sounds like Moloko meets Miami Sound Machine with more than a hint of last year's Ibibio Sound Machine - there's funk, jazz, electronica and some bona fide floorfillers. Stand out tracks include 'ABC 123', 'Look At Your Hands' and the quite brilliant 'Colonizer'. If you can manage to look beyond the music the lyrics are deceptively dark and deep too and this makes it a great album to listen to out loud or with your headphones on. I love it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66YZdqVEsnw

Her show at the Freebutt was one of the best I've ever seen. Must have been about 50 people there and it seemed like they all stood in a line at the merch table afterwards desperate to meet her!

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Well 2018 has started extremely well for me on the album front. Nils Frahm and Fire continue to evolve beautifully.
Although I'm still to finish it, Freedom's Goblin is a wide-ranging yet coherent bunch of joy, indicating the extent of Ty Segall's (power) pop sensibliity.
My first spin of Hookworms' new one has just finished, and it's right up there in AotY territory. Gutted that I haven't got a ticket for their show later this month -- if anyone's got a spare, or better two, do let me know.

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
Latest playlist can be found here:
https://www.mixcloud.com/The_Airing_Cupboard/mix-35/

1. Superorganism - Everybody wants to be famous
2. Austra - Change the paradigm
3. Cucina Povera - Totean
4. Tomorrow Syndicate - Another world
5. Death & Vanilla - Walls have teeth
6. Caroline Says - Sweet home Alabama
7. The Green Child - Her majesty II
8. Hinds - New for you
9. Shopping - Asking for a friend
10. Dream Wife - Act your age
11. Nachthexen - Trapped
12. Swan Meat - Devious
13. Channeler - Bound by serpents
14. Gazelle Twin - The dream ends
15. Silvia Kastel - Concrete void
16. Anna Meredith - Calion

Length: 60 minutes

nigeyb

Oct 14, 2005
Hove
No love yet for....

"Songs of Praise" (2018) by Shame?

I've had it on heavy rotation for a few days now and it's great stuff

This track is a real ear worm....

Shame - One Rizla

I notice One Rizla is now being used for the Saturday goals on Match of the Day 2 :cheers:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Loving the new Hookworms album.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I've been listening to the new Nils Frahm album and I've got to say it's quite beautiful. It's by far his most ambitious collection to date yet still retains his trademark understatement. There's a real mixture of styles from techno to jazz to the more familiar classical piano and the whole album fits wonderfully. Although an out and out instrumental album he does make fair use of choral voices as yet another musical instrument. Stand-out tracks include 'Human Range', mainly an oboe led piece and the title track and deep house techno tune 'All Melody'. It's the kind of tune that you could listen to forever. Great stuff.

Here he is performing the very tune at the Montreux Festival last year. It's life-affirming.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J44C184Dd7c

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
If you get a chance then you MUST check out the new album by Turkish psychedelic funk/guitar rockers Dirtmusic. It's non-stop excellence and seriously addictive. Imagine Dengue Fever fronted by Leonard Cohen and produced by Gonjasufi. The whole album is an instant thumbs up from me and I'd love to stick all 7 tracks on here but will just restrict to the first one. Amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHEySrt_BX8

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here