Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] The Tories hit new LOWS with the Windrush situation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
I am not worried for myself, just my mum. Your faith in the home office is touching. However I have been reading about people who have been granted indefinite leave to remain, but have been unable to prove it and have had a nightmare dealing with the consequences. This is quite close to home for me.

http://new.lag.org.uk/media/186917/small_chasing_status.pdf

Sorry to hear that, I can only speak from my wife's experience, and she has had no issues or letters etc.
Have you applied for the citizenship ?

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
My wife has indefinite leave to remain, still you know best you condescending one trick pony.

Why are you being abusive for ???

If haven't realised that all the people being threatened with deportation and being detained all had ILR then go and read up about this situation before making abusive posts

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate
Sorry to hear that, I can only speak from my wife's experience, and she has had no issues or letters etc.
Have you applied for the citizenship ?

No, and she doesn't intend to, but of course in theory she shouldn't have to. Haven't had any letters yet, but my concern is a letter out of the blue in the next few years and she finds herself in a situation where she cannot prove she has leave to remain (e.g. lost passport), and there is no central record. I expect she'll be ok, but it worrisome to hear of people in similar situations and it's opened my eyes to how badly things can go wrong.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Why are you being abusive for ???

If haven't realised that all the people being threatened with deportation and being detained all had ILR then go and read up about this situation before making abusive posts

Because you replied to me "You've obviously no idea what this is all about then , so best let the adults discuss it"

I am very touchy at the moment, I found that provocative and condescending.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
i think the concept that citizenship is separate from where you are born is totally lost on him.

No it isnt you condescending rsole , there is "on paper" and there is what people think .

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
No, that's still not the case.

Irrespective of holding that other passport / nationality, they still ARE British, and have the same rights of any other British citizen.

you might want to tell some of the ISIS lot who have had their citizenship taken away that they WERE just as british as me

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
No, and she doesn't intend to, but of course in theory she shouldn't have to. Haven't had any letters yet, but my concern is a letter out of the blue in the next few years and she finds herself in a situation where she cannot prove she has leave to remain (e.g. lost passport), and there is no central record. I expect she'll be ok, but it worrisome to hear of people in similar situations and it's opened my eyes to how badly things can go wrong.

I can understand your worries. The people concerned were told in the 70s & confirmed in 98 that they had indefinite rights here, but in 2014 someone moved the goal posts.
There is no knowing what might happen next.

EU citizens told they can stay after next year, but for how long?
I know of French & Dutch ladies married to Brits, who are concerned

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
born here , or one or more british parent.

So someone born here, with parents also born here, who then moved abroad to an Islamic country after one day, grew up a Muslim, speaks Arabic, and hates the Queen is British?

But someone else born in France to French parents, but then moved to Britain after one day, and grew up in Britain regularly attending a church of England church, who is technically a British citizen who drinks tea and would die to protect the Queen isn't British?

Your definition seems flawed to me?

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
His actual quote was "being born an Englishman was winning first prize in the lottery of life"!

Tough luck to the women, the Welsh and the Scottish then :lolol:

Well..they benefit from the lotto charities.

Keeps them in brown coal and rough shag baccy.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
So someone born here, with parents also born here, who then moved abroad to an Islamic country after one day, grew up a Muslim, speaks Arabic, and hates the Queen is British?

But someone else born in France to French parents, but then moved to Britain after one day, and grew up in Britain regularly attending a church of England church, who is technically a British citizen who drinks tea and would die to protect the Queen isn't British?

That person is probably holed up in Aleppo with an AK and a Koran.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003

Trying to define British is like trying to nail jelly to a wall. It is what the rulers decide by force if necessary. Weve expelled people with greater claim to be here than recent arrivals. Highland clearances, Transportation to Australia etc. We have a healthy vibrant history of kicking people out.

People with the guns decide.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015

ah well....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here