Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] The Live Music thread

seagully

Cock-knobs!
Jun 30, 2006
Battle
Any ideas how much those tickets are? I want to go to the MBV show but not for more than £35.

Apparently £45 upwards but I've also signed up as a South Bank centre member to get access to presale which was £60. A bit pricey but myself and two mates will split this cost so could be worse (you can buy up to 4 tickets per member)

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Apparently £45 upwards but I've also signed up as a South Bank centre member to get access to presale which was £60. A bit pricey but myself and two mates will split this cost so could be worse (you can buy up to 4 tickets per member)

Geeee. I'll take Kevin Shields at his word and trust we have a new MBV record and tour before long!

What could possibly go wrong?

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Hoping the C2 show will be much better than the All Saints show which was a disaster. I’m no sound engineer but Deerhunter in a big echoey church was never going to work!

It would have done if Bradford had listened to the in-house tech instead of being a prima donna rockstar.* That show should have been perfect for them.

They've always been brilliant at the Concorde in the past tbf.

*Allegedly.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I love Deerhunter. Halcyon Digest is an outstanding album and Helicopters is a the only song I know that terrifies me.

Bradford Cox’s back story is interesting and naturally is a massive influence on his work.

Hoping the C2 show will be much better than the All Saints show which was a disaster. I’m no sound engineer but Deerhunter in a big echoey church was never going to work!

It would have done if Bradford had listened to the in-house tech instead of being a prima donna rockstar.* That show should have been perfect for them.

They've always been brilliant at the Concorde in the past tbf.

*Allegedly.

Thanks you two. I’m looking forward to seeing them live; it’s at my favorite venue over here as well.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Several hours of Fall and Fall related music. Nothing else.

54F0FA41-F7A3-4023-B455-C1D05617B715.jpeg

morematey

Jun 28, 2017
I can imagine just that. Rather than being a opportunity for new bands to play and be heard live I guess it’s main aim is to make as much money as is possible. Just like any other business. Shame as when it started this did not seem to be its intention. I might still go along- depends how much alternative free stuff there is.

Like yourself, I've been to pretty much every Great Escape since the beginning. For me it's still the absolute highlight of gig going in Brighton every year. For 3 days the music industry comes to our doorstep. There are lots of other new music festivals, but very few have such a volume of international acts. Obviously over the last 10 years the sound of the acts playing has shifted - there are many more grime/rap artists but that just reflects what people are listening to.

Tickets are still tremendous value if you are willing to invest time in listening to all the artists beforehand and put a plan together. By doing that I've managed to always see everyone I wanted to and kept the quality bar high. I know a disciplined approach like that is not everyone's idea of 'fun', but it's meant I've seen acts like London Grammar, Daughter, Sigrid, Alabama Shakes, Julia Jacklin, Ben Howard, etc. in tiny venues.

I've just not seen the festival change from being some high pursuit to a money grabbing business as you describe. It's the same as it always was - a new music festival where you run around the city at 30 min intervals!

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Like yourself, I've been to pretty much every Great Escape since the beginning. For me it's still the absolute highlight of gig going in Brighton every year. For 3 days the music industry comes to our doorstep. There are lots of other new music festivals, but very few have such a volume of international acts. Obviously over the last 10 years the sound of the acts playing has shifted - there are many more grime/rap artists but that just reflects what people are listening to.

Tickets are still tremendous value if you are willing to invest time in listening to all the artists beforehand and put a plan together. By doing that I've managed to always see everyone I wanted to and kept the quality bar high. I know a disciplined approach like that is not everyone's idea of 'fun', but it's meant I've seen acts like London Grammar, Daughter, Sigrid, Alabama Shakes, Julia Jacklin, Ben Howard, etc. in tiny venues.

I've just not seen the festival change from being some high pursuit to a money grabbing business as you describe. It's the same as it always was - a new music festival where you run around the city at 30 min intervals!

It’s that running around town and planning an agenda that adds to the enjoyment. Plus it’s festival time and everywhere is buzzing. I expect I’ll end up going- they did announce some more acts a week or so ago and a few more bands that could potentially be worth a look.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I can add Andy Scott and possibly Thom Yorke to my expanding 2018 gig list. I say possibly as I have a ticket but it clashes with Stockholm marathon. Decisions decisions.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Also, saw Men of Moon last Saturday. Couple of young Scottish guys channeling kraut stuff. They really floated my boat

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
Saw Dream Wife at Heaven last night. What an amazing gig. The Brighton trio were a formidable force.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here