Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Restaurant 2018

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Going to the Regency next weekend. This is not your uber-trendy Brighton eatery but is supposed to be pretty good and reasonably priced for fish, any recommend dishes?

The corner place on the seafront? I used to love that place.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I know someone always asks if the service goes fully to the staff, if not she doesn’t pay. You may recall there was some controversy a while ago where some restaurants were keeping the service and using it to top up wages.

Personally, unless I have a truly bad experience, I always pay service. Most restaurant staff are just young decent people trying to make their way in life, are generally nice to me, and I figure if I can afford to eat or drink out I can afford a few pennies as gratitude. Each to there own though.

That's fair enough. My problem is that many places see it as a way of paying lower wages. Instead I tip in cash. That way I know the waiting staff get it and they don't have to pay tax on it. I don't have to pay a service charge at Tesco when I use a till so I shouldn't have to when I eat out - roll the cost into the cost of the meal rather than artifically make your menu look a lower cost. It's amazing the difference in attitude as well when you ask to have it removed. At Phoo the manager was utterly disgusting about it.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Your German sense of humour has lost me on this comment

You are not the first!

You mentioned you were out with the missus and you were wanting “chit chat”. I was humourously wondering if this was reciprocated....did the lady want to spend an evening talking to you?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
That's fair enough. My problem is that many places see it as a way of paying lower wages. Instead I tip in cash. That way I know the waiting staff get it and they don't have to pay tax on it. I don't have to pay a service charge at Tesco when I use a till so I shouldn't have to when I eat out - roll the cost into the cost of the meal rather than artifically make your menu look a lower cost. It's amazing the difference in attitude as well when you ask to have it removed. At Phoo the manager was utterly disgusting about it.

I can’t really argue with this.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Jamie's Italian Bullring Birmingham

With an undernourished student met on time, Mrs Hut insists he is fed well when met at away games.

Starters of Parmesan dough ball type thingies, very pleasant as well. Mains, two had burgers I had a porkie pizza. All well cooked so decent food, reasonably priced plus £10 off voucher.

8 out of 10 and a tip as well as no service charge added

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
You are not the first!

You mentioned you were out with the missus and you were wanting “chit chat”. I was humourously wondering if this was reciprocated....did the lady want to spend an evening talking to you?

Indeed she did, discussed quite a bit about planning what things to sort out next etc

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
The corner place on the seafront? I used to love that place.

We nearly always go there when we're down visiting my stepmum (who lives about 5 mins walk from the place). Great service and as mentioned above the seafood platter is excellent and very reasonable. It's just slightly posher fish and chips really but you get to sit down and drink wine with it. What's not to like.

The Melrose next door is also good in the same way but not as full of Chinese tourists as (apparently) The Regency got a write up on a Chinese food blog a few years ago and their business went through the roof because it's now a "must visit" destination for them.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003

The Melrose next door is also good in the same way but not as full of Chinese tourists as (apparently) The Regency got a write up on a Chinese food blog a few years ago and their business went through the roof because it's now a "must visit" destination for them.

Same owners, I believe.

Jul 7, 2003
Visited The Original Patty Men in Birmingham before the game yesterday. Thankfully that was much better than the match. Great burgers with a great selection of beers - mainly Siren and Magic Rock but a few others as well. Good service, friendly staff. We were lucky to get a table as it filled up just after we arrived and it is only a small place but looks like they are extending into the next railway arch.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Visited The Original Patty Men in Birmingham before the game yesterday. Thankfully that was much better than the match. Great burgers with a great selection of beers - mainly Siren and Magic Rock but a few others as well. Good service, friendly staff. We were lucky to get a table as it filled up just after we arrived and it is only a small place but looks like they are extending into the next railway arch.

Good to catch up yesterday. My usual, and highly recommended, restaurant Al Frash doesn’t open for lunch so we went here pre-match http://shababs.co.uk. Very good and reasonably priced. Post match was here https://cherryreds.com for a couple of cask ales and take outs for the train; a lovely place I’m getting to know a lot.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Enjoyed a visit to Polpo last week. May have slightly over ordered as their 'small dishes' are not quite as small as I remembered. Highlights were scallops with butternut squash, chicken Milanesa and the ever excellent meatballs. Polpo are offering 20% in January off if you join their mailing list which makes it pretty good value especially as this applies to drinks as well as food.

Also finally went to The Set on Friday - really enjoyed the food - we tried two of three menus (£42/£44) without the wine pairing. A lot to eat especially with all the additional snacks - really enjoyed a mixed carrot dish, belly pork and the squid. Less sure about the partridge, although the black pudding was good, Excellent dessert and the obligatory espresso martini. Not as good as Etch in my view but quite a bit cheaper.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Looking for somewhere in the East Sussex countryside for next Sunday that is NOT a roast, repeat NOT a roast.

Well I ended up in the Coach and Horses at Danehill for a mixed bag, which was mostly good.

In a beautiful setting and undoubtedly packed during the summer this place is a destination pub that serves decent food on Sundays with more variation than most. To start I had fried macaroni cheese with cauliflower puree and pickled shimeji mushrooms, this was the low point, it was bland and cost a fair whack at 6.50 for not much flavour. The missus had squid and mussels on toast which was much better, full of flavour but possibly still on the keen side of pricing for it's size. The mains were great, liver and bacon for me and pork belly roast for the missus. The vegetables were fresh and had a lot of butter thrown at them which I like and the liver was cooked skillfully. Others reported the beef was very good so all round nicely done. Mains are about £15 which I can get along with I suppose.

Overall worth a visit if in the area (Sheffield Park up the road), certainly if you’re not a roast person as they have 7 starters and about the same number of mains. Price tag isn’t cheap but you‘ll get much worse food for more than this in some Brighton pubs, £115 quid for 4 people having starters, mains, 4 booze drinks and two soft drinks. Good pub, great setting.

Ps Harveys and Longman Best both available and a decent looking wine list.

7.5/10

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Good to catch up yesterday. My usual, and highly recommended, restaurant Al Frash doesn’t open for lunch so we went here pre-match http://shababs.co.uk. Very good and reasonably priced. Post match was here https://cherryreds.com for a couple of cask ales and take outs for the train; a lovely place I’m getting to know a lot.

Ha. We managed to make it along to Al Frash, as we stayed over. It was as good as we had remembered, and really good value, although it was a good deal emptier than last time we were in. We also spent a lot of time in The Wellington which has become our fixture pub when going to Birmingham.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Going to the Regency next weekend. This is not your uber-trendy Brighton eatery but is supposed to be pretty good and reasonably priced for fish, any recommend dishes?

Report back from The Regency.....luckily we'd booked because the place was absolutely rammed and at one point a queue even developed. We had the seafood platter extravaganza which at first glance seemed expensive at £47 per couple until you realised what it included: a whole lobster thermidor, 6 oysters parmegiano, 6 king clams cooked in their shells in garlic butter, a delicious big bowl of moule marinier, baby clams cooked in a white wine and garlic sauce, six king prawns in their shells, etc etc - all beautifully cooked and washed down with a very reasonably priced New Zealand Sauvignon. Highly recommended. It ain't posh, just good honest seafood well cooked and reasonably priced.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Capri - Lancing

Not sure how long this place has been going but a party of six, Italian (clue in name).

Starters mixed variety, I had meatballs which arrived after others had finished theirs - not great. Mains had seafood spaghetti which was pretty good, well seasoned and tasty but yet again another main arrived late.

It was explained later the main chef had gone home early not well, but bye the by good food in my view and reasonably priced.

Oh and chip and pin machine bust so epic fail on New Year resolution to try and harvest as many loyalty points as possible.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Pre-match brunch in Mange Tout yesterday with [MENTION=31]El Presidente[/MENTION], [MENTION=687]Carrot Cruncher[/MENTION] and [MENTION=3566]hans kraay fan club[/MENTION] amongst others, selected as it has favourable reviews and was handy for the train to the Amex.

We had a variety of things from the Brunch menu and there wasn't a scrap of food left at the end. The tomato compote which accompanied many of the dishes was a fantastic addition.

My "mange tout végétarien" was one of the best veggie breakfasts I've had, complete with perfectly cooked poached eggs, and I think [MENTION=687]Carrot Cruncher[/MENTION] was very impressed with the quality of the toulouse sausage.

Despite being busy, our food came out impressively quickly.

I'll definitely be going back.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Enjoyed a visit to Polpo last week. May have slightly over ordered as their 'small dishes' are not quite as small as I remembered. Highlights were scallops with butternut squash, chicken Milanesa and the ever excellent meatballs. Polpo are offering 20% in January off if you join their mailing list which makes it pretty good value especially as this applies to drinks as well as food.

I read they’re closing both the Ape & Bird Polpo Pub on London’s Cambridge Circus and its Bristol outpost (open only for 18 months). Also the closure of 20 branches of Byron Burger and 11 of pizza chain Strada.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here