Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Declining journalism/editing standards on BBC website...

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
My smoothie from M&S stated on the label that it had 'less then 20% sugars'. Amazing that this can go through to production without a check.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
My smoothie from M&S stated on the label that it had 'less then 20% sugars'. Amazing that this can go through to production without a check.
Would you like more then?

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
Its being going on for years, grammar I can accept, to a degree, but misrepresentation is another thing. Watch the BBC news tonight and see how issues are reported, then we can see how poor they are at representing the truth.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Time to pull your stockings up, Auntie.

Time to sell it of. I've noticed its style of so-called "Journalism" (Did you see what I did there?). Quote staging, lazy references to other unsourced quotes, Inuendo referencing leftwing mythology as fact like George Orwell fought for the Marxists(He didn't he fought with the Anarchists eventually against the Marxists),

Its increasing absorbtion with Identity politics and Speech codea. RT is better.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Thank you :kiss:

I think I'm going to continue to be ignorant about gerunds.

Gerunds are words ending in ing, using a verb to make a noun. I only learned this recently when (whilst?)brushing up on my French, with Duolingo.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Second article read today - about Spacey's alleged behaviour at the Old Vic.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-42009596

"Three people told the Old Vic they have contacted the police, with all except two testimonies predating 2009." That would be one, then.

"He added that he findings would help not just the theatre but..."

"On 31 October, the Old Vic said it was "deeply dismayed" to hear the allegations and sets up a confidential complaints process..."

I don't read the articles looking for errors, they just leap off the page at me as I read them.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
It’s one thing having a pop at the Argus or the local rag that one of our esteemed members writes for; its quite another when the BBC follows them down into the abyss, albeit more slowly.

For about three years, I’ve noticed an increasing number of articles containing errors. These errors are predominantly grammatical, but there are some spelling errors, and, regrettably, a recent surge of articles that are factually incorrect. I would estimate that they are currently running at a rate of about 30% of all articles that are reasonably sizable (say 300 words or more) containing at least one error.

I know this is possibly just me, but I find it irritating, jarring, and shoddy. I accept that the quantity of output is now huge, but that excuse doesn’t cut it for me.

The latest article to transgress is the one on the sale of the Salvator Mundi, the first article I’ve read today, which surpasses normal standards by having two errors.

“In 1958 it was sold at auction in London for a mere £45 at auction in London.” Seriously?

“It apparently once belonged to King Charles I of England in the 1500s...”. Given Charles I wasn’t born until Nov 1600, this seems implausible.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-42000696

:nono:

Sometimes, the article is corrected, mostly not. It should be right before publication.

Time to pull your stockings up, Auntie.

About the same time period I've been noticing these errors through. I'm guessing it's cuts in proof reading.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
There is also a growing trend of not actually writing an article, but just taking a load of tweets from twitter and pasting them into the article to make a story. Drives me mad.
Yes, saw some recently clipped from The Mail Online where they had left the Wikipedia citation numbers in their copypasta.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Yes, saw some recently clipped from The Mail Online where they had left the Wikipedia citation numbers in their copypasta.
There's a lesson in there somewhere.

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
Has anyone else spotted the 'stationary' section, in the latest Tesco toy catalogue?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here