Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dunk And Duffy

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
‘’ his weakness in his game is his passing’’ Ian Wright on Dunk ..geez he didn’t get his long range stuff working today ..but really!
:facepalm:

Amazing. Hasn't seen much of him then! If that's his weakness, he's going to be some player in a year or two.

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
‘’ his weakness in his game is his passing’’ Ian Wright on Dunk ..geez he didn’t get his long range stuff working today ..but really!
:facepalm:

This is horrendous name dropping but I've met Ian Wright a few times and actually had a conversation with him about Lewis dunk last season - and can confirm that at that stage he'd never seen him play and had no idea who he was. When I said he'd play for England he said "you can't tell until he's been at a big club". 🙄

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
This is horrendous name dropping but I've met Ian Wright a few times and actually had a conversation with him about Lewis dunk last season - and can confirm that at that stage he'd never seen him play and had no idea who he was. When I said he'd play for England he said "you can't tell until he's been at a big club". [emoji849]

I never really understand that point of view, other than the extra pressure. Because he will still have to play all the big clubs this season and it'll be a more difficult job given the team-mates around him. Interesting for instance that Mascherano admits, rather humbly, that he possibly wouldn't have got away with converting to centre back anywhere else than Barcelona.

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
I never really understand that point of view, other than the extra pressure. Because he will still have to play all the big clubs this season and it'll be a more difficult job given the team-mates around him. Interesting for instance that Mascherano admits, rather humbly, that he possibly wouldn't have got away with converting to centre back anywhere else than Barcelona.

That was essentially my argument - his view was that the pressure at a big club makes it harder. I think when I told him Dunky was better than John Stones he started to think I was biased...(although I still believe that)

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
That was essentially my argument - his view was that the pressure at a big club makes it harder. I think when I told him Dunky was better than John Stones he started to think I was biased...(although I still believe that)

I think he could be too. And I don't think it'll be long before some of the big clubs are sniffing. Moments like that fantastic pass v Man City make people take notice I reckon. Not many can do that.

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
Duffy in particular superb today. Without doubt one of the best pairings in the Premier League. We'll be fighting off huge bids if they continue like this.

MrSnuggles

Apr 29, 2016
Dunky is like a modern day Tony Adams. Those who are fortunate enough to see him week in and week out know that it's only a matter of time before he'll get an England call up. Not been this excited about one of our defenders since Mark Lawrenson...and Dunky is a Brighton born lad too!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I love the fact that Dunk and Duffy have not only carried on where they left off, but are pushing themselves and each other towards a level of genuine worldclassness. (that is a word)

I hope we don't have to find out how one performs without the other, as much as Uwe and Connor are good they just aren't going to have such a symbiotic relationship.
We could be watching a new Hanson & Lawrenson partnership. (For the kidz, praise doesn't come much higher than that)

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
I love the fact that Dunk and Duffy have not only carried on where they left off, but are pushing themselves and each other towards a level of genuine worldclassness. (that is a word)

I hope we don't have to find out how one performs without the other, as much as Uwe and Connor are good they just aren't going to have such a symbiotic relationship.
We could be watching a new Hanson & Lawrenson partnership. (For the kidz, praise doesn't come much higher than that)

Mention of Hansen and Lawrenson reminds me of once listening to a football phone-in with Tommy Docherty as a guest. They were talking about why Hansen, as one of the best centre halves in European football in the eighties got relatively few Scotland caps. A caller rang in to put forward the notion that Hansen didn't feature as often as he could have done because Willie Miller and Alex Mcleish played together at Aberdeen and formed a partnership that managers didn't want to split. Docherty started his response sounding thoughtful, saying 'Miller and Mcleish together..' and it sounded like he was going to follow it with something like 'were a formidable pairing,' but instead burst into an unexpected fury shouting 'WEREN'T FIT TO LACE HANSEN'S BOOTS!!' The surprise of it really made me laugh and, years later, I still hear it in my head whenever anyone mentions either player.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Mention of Hansen and Lawrenson reminds me of once listening to a football phone-in with Tommy Docherty as a guest. They were talking about why Hansen, as one of the best centre halves in European football in the eighties got relatively few Scotland caps. A caller rang in to put forward the notion that Hansen didn't feature as often as he could have done because Willie Miller and Alex Mcleish played together at Aberdeen and formed a partnership that managers didn't want to split. Docherty started his response sounding thoughtful, saying 'Miller and Mcleish together..' and it sounded like he was going to follow it with something like 'were a formidable pairing,' but instead burst into an unexpected fury shouting 'WEREN'T FIT TO LACE HANSEN'S BOOTS!!' The surprise of it really made me laugh and, years later, I still hear it in my head whenever anyone mentions either player.

My memory was someone saying to pundit Lawrenson 'did you talk to Alan about that', ML replied words to the effect of:-

'Why, we've not need to talk for 30 years, to know what the other is thinking'.

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
How about using the old Zamora tune to honour our dynamic duo?

When your run for the pass
and end up on your arse..
Dunk and Duffy!

When you go for the ball
and end up with f*** all...
Dunk and Duffy!

When you find yourself space
and get one in the face
Dunk and Duffy!

Your head sings "Ding-a-ling-a-ling"
You've copped one on the chin
Dunk and Duffy!