Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Should the voting age be raised?

• Thread starter Deleted member 2719
  • Start date

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
To answer the original question yes it should to 40 by which time most students will have realised life isnt a bowl of cherries and you can only take out what you put in to it,.

Remarkable.

So why 40 and not 23?

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
To answer the original question yes it should to 40 by which time most students will have realised life isnt a bowl of cherries and you can only take out what you put in to it,.

As a representative of the generation that has had it the easiest I think you should keep your mouth shut.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there

Never liked this particular 'youth' expression but..... OMG.

Disturbingly I fear this isn't a sarcastic post. Long term resentment from being denied an education perhaps?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Now I don't know the new figures, but after the election in 2015, 99 or 16% of our MPs were under the age of 40, and you're saying they cannot vote because they are not old enough to know what life is about yet!?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
What this thread proves, is that the old can become intransigent, protectionist, reductive, stubborn. This has to be countered with the vote of the young who can be creative, inspired, aspirational, positive, outward looking.

If you can be employed and pay tax and be classed an adult by any measure, then you should be allowed to vote. Can you imagine sending our troops to war, and potentially to their death and they're not allowed to vote!? The very notion is abhorrent.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Crap....... stop quoting the Guardian.... it was so well publicised that only myopic lefties chose to twist it as remoan propoganda.... gross figure... always was.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
So what you're saying is.....the leave campaign spent money putting a MASSIVE slogan on a MASSIVE bus which everyone knew wasn't accurate and wouldn't possibly help persuade someone to choose their campaign?

That seems odds.

What this thread proves, is that the old can become intransigent, protectionist, reductive, stubborn. This has to be countered with the vote of the young who can be creative, inspired, aspirational, positive, outward looking.

If you can be employed and pay tax and be classed an adult by any measure, then you should be allowed to vote. Can you imagine sending our troops to war, and potentially to their death and they're not allowed to vote!? The very notion is abhorrent.

Short, to the point and entirely true.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
As a representative of the generation that has had it the easiest I think you should keep your mouth shut.

That remark was very tongue in cheek and said as a joke to suggest that the young dont always appreciate things so well. As regards having had it the easiest I would agree as the only hard times were when a Labour Government was in power, which thankfully wasnt for the majority of the time.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
That remark was very tongue in cheek and said as a joke to suggest that the young dont always appreciate things so well. As regards having had it the easiest I would agree as the only hard times were when a Labour Government was in power, which thankfully wasnt for the majority of the time.
As comedy accounts go this one is getting pretty tired now.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing

Lucky old you,BG, you didn't lose your house to negative equity, didn't have to pay 15% interest rates,didn't have to wait years to see a consultant on Hospital waiting lists, didn't lose your job and become one of 3million unemployed,then?

DataPoint

Mar 31, 2015

You can't get a degree in experience. All other things being equal a 70 year old will have a far greater wisdom than a 17 year old. Every day you experience something new. Older people just know more - simple! We also learned the dicipline and risks required for good/bad judgement.

Just for the record the old were young once - except 50 years ago we were the first and the greatest youth cult the world has ever known - an explosion of energy emitting from the U.K. that took the whole world by storm - what were the words you used? Creative, inspired, aspirational, positive, outward looking. Yep! - You're describing my generation brilliantly.

By the way, luckily, you have no experience or war and that's good. If however, young people wish to be greater informed of the horrors of total conflict, I would highly recommend the amazing and highly acclaimed 'The World at War' Thames TV produced series. You may have to search a little to access it as I doubt you'll find it on Facebook or Twitter - it's a serious piece of education.

Yoda

English & European

Interesting you say that, for me growing up, it's the complete opposite.

I only remember hard times and my mum missing evening meals day on day just to feed me & my brother when the Tories were in charge.

During my working life (most of it in the public sector, DWP & NHS), again only hard times of way below inflation pay rises under the Tories. If we were to apply to rent the place me & my other half are in now, they'd be no chance and she's had to take up an evening job as well so we can pay the bills AND afford to eat.

Only good times for me and my family were when Labour were in parliament.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
As an ex-teacher, you should know better than to indulge in casual stereotyping. Some pensioners may think of nothing but their pension and personal welfare (including the few you have apparently communicated with) but you have no evidence to justify saying it's most of them, any more than people are justified in claiming that all teenagers are politically ignorant.

I have quite a lot of evidence actually (Brexit voting, discussions with older generations, word of mouth, voting patterns at this election...). Most of it is highlighted in the rest of the post, which you clearly failed to read. Then again maybe you're just not paying attention to the world around you.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Now I don't know the new figures, but after the election in 2015, 99 or 16% of our MPs were under the age of 40, and you're saying they cannot vote because they are not old enough to know what life is about yet!?
If they were under 40 and had gone straight into politics from education, as so many politicians do (some of the 50 and 60 year old MPs have never had a job in the real world either) then they might well not know what life is all about.

HitchinSeagull

Aug 9, 2012
You can't get a degree in experience. All other things being equal a 70 year old will have a far greater wisdom than a 17 year old. Every day you experience something new. Older people just know more - simple! We also learned the dicipline and risks required for good/bad judgement.

Just for the record the old were young once - except 50 years ago we were the first and the greatest youth cult the world has ever known - an explosion of energy emitting from the U.K. that took the whole world by storm - what were the words you used? Creative, inspired, aspirational, positive, outward looking. Yep! - You're describing my generation brilliantly.

By the way, luckily, you have no experience or war and that's good. If however, young people wish to be greater informed of the horrors of total conflict, I would highly recommend the amazing and highly acclaimed 'The World at War' Thames TV produced series. You may have to search a little to access it as I doubt you'll find it on Facebook or Twitter - it's a serious piece of education.
Pile of patronising shit, wisdom is about more than just being alive, in fact the xenophobia that is more prevalent among the old is startlingly ignorant.

'we were the first and the greatest youth cult the world has ever known'

Many reasons for this and one of them was a post rationing massive increase of disposable income amongst the young. So your just pointing out how easy you had it and the opportunities you had that youngsters today don't have.

Experience of war? A 70 year old wasn't alive in the war and has no more experience of it than a youngster today apart from reading Battle and Victory comics and commando book's.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here