Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

New gas boiler required (plus installation)

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patreon
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Do u do Boiler replacements?

I no longer do boiler replacements.

I have fitted loads in the past but I'm no longer registered to work on gas. I get plenty of plumbing work and I recommend others for gas work, sometimes they recommend me for plumbing work.

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Many thanks to all who have responded and you've certainly all given me some options to think about. [MENTION=23180]WSU[/MENTION] i've PM'd you. Is there nothing this site can't help with? :clap:

WSU

Jan 17, 2012
I need to get our combi boiler serviced, any ideas how much that should set me back, anyone?

I charge £45.00 but as with everything the price varies wherever you go. The highest I've seen a large company charge is £105.00(!) but of course you might find a guy who is desperate for work who will do it much cheaper.

Muhammed - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patreon
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
Spot on about BG.
A very good friend is a BG boiler engineer, he is very good at the 'job he was trained to do' what he doesn't know about repairing boilers and central heating isn't worth worrying about.
But he is now encouraged to sell,sell,sell and isn't happy about it.

None of us are.
It's not just BG engineers who get pressurised into selling.
It's happening all over...It's a common conversation when you have monthly meeting with your manager.
What have you sold?
It even takes the place of 'first time fix', 'recalls' and material costs.
None of us are happy with it

golddene

Jul 28, 2012
Just seen this thread but if you or any other nsc's require boiler replacement contact Darren @ Dales plumbing co, in Hove, sorted me out with the boiler i wanted and a seven year warranty, from first contact to in and running four days and worked Saturday to install. cannot recommend enough.

gasgull

Nov 14, 2003
Newick
That's the reason I left BG.
Once upon a time there main concern was the customer.
Then came Thatcher and privatisation.Costs went up,labour and customer satisfaction went down.
Two man heating teams reduced to one man,and times cut.
11 years since going self employed,haven't looked back.
Boiler and associated controls will be around £1300.trade price for a decent combi boiler,fitting as mentioned before.
As others have said,happy to offer any advice or info.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
With Darren's NSC meltdown I enjoy boiler threads like this. Am I right that BG treats its fans in the same way Paul Barber treats us customers? If you don't agree BG pm a mod and let the mod explain why your boiler replacement is ironically better than all NSC heating enginers.

I think Morrisey has written the song.

nordicgod

Top banana
Jul 21, 2011
polegate
the girlfriends combi boiler might be on the last legs,when it fires up it sounds like a car back firing, what I find strange is water comes out very hot from taps but when under the shower its not that hot at all, certainly don't need to turn the cold mixer on with it, so a new good combi is around £1300 and fitting around £400?

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Not sure why everyone's having another pop at Ben's Grandad but anyway, have you tried tricking your boiler?

brighton bluenose

Jan 6, 2006
Nicollet & 66th
British Gas are doing a 'pay no VAT' offer on all new boilers until Dec 31st.

The cost will be 2.5-3.5K all in with one year homecare thrown in. They do a payment plan to spread the cost, 10% ish required up front.

Worth at least considering, I reckon.

Do NOT go to British Gas - biggest rip-off ever!
Depending on the size of your property a decent boiler should cost around £800- £1,000 with fitting a days work at say £400- max you would save yourself a fortune!

Edit - just seen whole thread after posting now and usual great NSC advice ☺

Last edited:

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
the girlfriends combi boiler might be on the last legs,when it fires up it sounds like a car back firing, what I find strange is water comes out very hot from taps but when under the shower its not that hot at all, certainly don't need to turn the cold mixer on with it, so a new good combi is around £1300 and fitting around £400?

Depending on the size of your property , in other words heat output required from the boiler. £7/800 through to £1200 I would say

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Depending on the size of your property , in other words heat output required from the boiler. £7/800 through to £1200 I would say
We're in the Fiveways area (to give you an idea of the general size) It's a four bedroom mid-terrace house on three floors. (We've had the loft converted for the fourth bedroom). This also has an en-suite shower.

And thanks for your PM [MENTION=23180]WSU[/MENTION]. I've replied.

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
We're in the Fiveways area (to give you an idea of the general size) It's a four bedroom mid-terrace house on three floors. (We've had the loft converted for the fourth bedroom). This also has an en-suite shower.

And thanks for your PM [MENTION=23180]WSU[/MENTION]. I've replied.

Higher end then as per Simmo

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here