Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Team required for top two...

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
I worry about Stockdale's weakness on his right hand. Yesterday was proof positive, moving to his preferred left before trying to push off and save Lascelles header.Last season it was less obvious but before that, when his confidence was lower, it was happening regularly. IMHO neither goalkeeper is good enough to help take us to promotion but CH seems happy with them so there won't be any change. We are struggling down the left side as neither Bong nor Skalak are good enough and Sidwell was woefully exposed yesterday. Baldock works hard but lets be honest, he's a Div 1 player at best. One of our wide players will be sold or loaned...KLL or March.
Don't think CH will bring in another striker. He will use Manu as back up. If Stephens goes, he has to be replaced. Cover at fullback is required. CH will have to decide whether Sam Ak...is up to it, otherwise we need a new signing there as well.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Just need a pacey striker as a foil for Hemed/Murray - loosing at Newcastle is certainly not the end of the world

biddles911

May 12, 2014
Just need a pacey striker as a foil for Hemed/Murray - loosing at Newcastle is certainly not the end of the world

Absolutely agree. All players have off days. Newcastle have lost twice already; don't think they're panicking just yet!?

We've still got several key players returning from injury; March, Goldson and Hunemeier, and five games in is far too early to draw conclusions.

First loss after 18 championship games! Think I'll go out and throw myself under a train; oh, hang on it's Southern Rail......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
We lost, away, to a BIG club. Newcastle aren't a Champions League team but they are a big team with a lot of talent and a Champions League manager and a wage bill that would make even TB shudder.
I'm happy this game is done and dusted and out of the way. Looking at the fixtures this was always going to be a game we may have won, could have scraped a draw but most probably would have lost.
Sky put it on TV, why, because it was Brighton & Hove Albion.
Other supporters look out for their team coming to the Amex and think 'tough game'.
We are one of the big clubs in the league, make no mistake, and we will be there at the top come the end of the season.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Panic mode after one loss. Just need a number 10 and to put lua lua in for skalak. (And replace Stephens if he leaves).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I hate to say this but I worry about Stockdale. It has been said before that he is a worldy when the ball comes right at him, but . . . . I recon the PIG would have stopped both their goals yesterday. I remember when Stockers first started with us, thinking 'oh, that's . . . . not what I'm used to'. Then I've tried to not think about it. Imagine that at one time you had a relationship with a tempestuous raven-haired naughtily-underweared filth monkey with wayward tendencies and a knack of upsetting people, and now you're with a fine, upstanding, rosy cheeked sensible lass who gets on with everyone. Sometimes, you'd be bound to feel a bit wistful. And in wistful mood about goalkeepers, I think Stockdale, compared with with the wayward PIG, costs us 10-15 points a season. So I'm going to stick my kneck out and suggest that we should spend some of uncle Tony's money on a new keeper. Albeit one who not only performs between the sheets (I mean sticks), but also remembers where his loyalties lie.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Stockdale

Bruno
Dunk
Goldson
Rosenior

Knockaert
Kayal
Stephens/New signing when he inevitably leaves
March

Murray
New signing

If Stephens is leaving we need to get the deal done asap, reckon the £8 million would go a long way towards a class striker partner for Murray, who was again left isolated yesterday. Think this team could easily achieve promotion.

Apart from the addition of Murray, nothing wrong with the first choice eleven that played most of last season in my opinion.

You say when Stephens inevitably leaves, well I don't think there is anything inevitable about it, and only three days of the transfer window left remember.

I know Bong hasn't started the season particularly well, but he is only going to get better, and being the more natural left back of the two, l'd pick him ahead of Rosenior.

You say your team can easily achieve promotion, well, there is noting easy about this division!

scooter1

How soon is now?
If Stephens isn't going to be involved, then he shouldn't be on the bench. Yesterday's set up says to me now, that he will be off. If that is the case then CH needs to see if he can get Kayal and Norwood playing together. Sidwell is not the answer unless we are trying to shore up a lead. Our delivery from set pieces was not great yesterday, and Murphy is better on the wing than both Lua Lua and Skalak.
As has been mentioned before, it's good to get an a way game like yesterday out of the way and now we move on. 3 days until the window closes, I'm sure the recruitment team are doing what they can

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I worry about Stockdale's weakness on his right hand. Yesterday was proof positive, moving to his preferred left before trying to push off and save Lascelles header.Last season it was less obvious but before that, when his confidence was lower, it was happening regularly. IMHO neither goalkeeper is good enough to help take us to promotion but CH seems happy with them so there won't be any change. We are struggling down the left side as neither Bong nor Skalak are good enough and Sidwell was woefully exposed yesterday. Baldock works hard but lets be honest, he's a Div 1 player at best. One of our wide players will be sold or loaned...KLL or March.
Don't think CH will bring in another striker. He will use Manu as back up. If Stephens goes, he has to be replaced. Cover at fullback is required. CH will have to decide whether Sam Ak...is up to it, otherwise we need a new signing there as well.

A tad of an over reaction if you don't mind me saying so. I agree that yesterday's performance was well short of what is required, but I think it was a bad day at the office, no more than that. Newcastle are a bloody good side, just getting into their stride now, and not many teams wil come away from St.James's Park with anything.

Many of those players that you cite as not being good enough, Stockdale, Bong etc. were arguably two of our best players last season.

Lets just forget about it, and move on to our next game, I'm sure we will get back to winning ways against Brentford.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
The squad we have + another forward and maybe a fullback.

Just 1 point behind the 'win at home, draw away' target, so now on course for 91 points :rock:

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Is our squad good enough? I wonder as I didnt notice any improvement when the 3 subs came on and dont think any of them made any difference. We have spent money in recent windows but have we brought in sufficient quality to win this league or at least get runners up. I am not so sure that we have.

Clearly until we spend at the £3.5m to £5m bracket we will always be close but cannot be expected to have it easy,it's not all about money but until we get players of that value in then it's going to be slightly an uphill battle..

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
Feel sorry for Hemed. 17 goals last season and can't get a game, while the fans complain we need a striker!

Harsh maybe but I don't think he's good enough to be a regular starter in a top two team, as his long dry spell showed last year. Murray would've probably doubled that total with the amount of chances we created

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here