Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Board meeting today about Hyypia

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
Everything you say would be sound if the club were making a profit - the problem though is that it is making consistent losses.

There is a strong case to argue that if we are relegated then losses next season would actually be less than if we remain in the Championship.

Long term of course relegation won't improve our chances of getting to the promised land of the Premier League, the club's only real hope of ever returning a profit.

Yes, yes, and yes but... those losses would and will be greater if you actively seek to undermine your number one income stream! It just makes no sense for the board not to 'care', non whatsoever - indeed it would represent a form of business kamikaze.

Kosh

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
£200m and we'll be back where we were a few years ago, Withdean. We'll have the same crowds. Only difference being we'll have an white elephant instead off a forest. Not bad going is it, spending £200 million only to end up back at square one.
Christ you talk some shite

matbha

Apr 13, 2014
£200m and we'll be back where we were a few years ago, Withdean. We'll have the same crowds. Only difference being we'll have an white elephant instead off a forest. Not bad going is it, spending £200 million only to end up back at square one.

Grow up prick , we have been in lot worse places , how old are you 10 ?:tosser:

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
Yes, yes, and yes but... those losses would and will be greater if you actively seek to undermine your number one income stream! It just makes no sense for the board not to 'care', non whatsoever - indeed it would represent a form of business kamikaze.

Kosh

There are two ways of looking at the model of how a modern day football club owned by a wealthy individual works.

The most commonly perceived one is that the club is treated as a business by the owner with the eventual objective of making a profit, and when the club is making a loss the owner is effectively subsidising the income generated by the fans in order to keep it solvent.

The second, and equally valid view, is that the club is treated by the owner as a hobby with the eventual objective of being one of the top clubs, and the revenue generated by fans subsidises the cost to the owner of indulging in that hobby.

Hopefully TB falls into the second category as a true fan and wants to see the club do as well it possibly can in competition with other teams in the League - a pure businessman on the other hand might well consider relegation in the short term as the most cost effective option.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Club mojo very low. I keep checking NSC, hoping, expecting the inevitable sacking but it just hasn't come. I'm totally bemused. We're shit and we know we are but nothing is changing.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Club mojo very low. I keep checking NSC, hoping, expecting the inevitable sacking but it just hasn't come. I'm totally bemused. We're shit and we know we are but nothing is changing.

I know how you feel Jimmy.

My guess is that we haven't got a pot to piss in; the coffers are empty and we can't afford to sack him. All the cash has been spent on nice padded seats for us to nod off in.

jay d

jay d n coke
Nov 16, 2014
brighton
OK, this is ridiculous now.

Sami is immune from the sack.

A limpet and a barnacle.

So what is it we don't know ? ??? What is Tony's thinking ? ???

Tony is no fool.

Best case, I suppose, is that we have 2 or 3 Leverkusen players lined up for January, dependent on Sami staying.

More of a hope, really.

But the team he has now at his disposal is a team that should be mid table imo. You only have to look at moyes, if ur not the right fit for the club then you can take over the champions and it wont mater what players you have. You will underachieve.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
There are two ways of looking at the model of how a modern day football club owned by a wealthy individual works.

The most commonly perceived one is that the club is treated as a business by the owner with the eventual objective of making a profit, and when the club is making a loss the owner is effectively subsidising the income generated by the fans in order to keep it solvent.

The second, and equally valid view, is that the club is treated by the owner as a hobby with the eventual objective of being one of the top clubs, and the revenue generated by fans subsidises the cost to the owner of indulging in that hobby.

Hopefully TB falls into the second category as a true fan and wants to see the club do as well it possibly can in competition with other teams in the League - a pure businessman on the other hand might well consider relegation in the short term as the most cost effective option.

I hope you're right. Sadly I'm ultra cynical and whilst I accept Tony is a supporter, he's now chairman and one who's invested massively in the club - The only publically available fact here regards his aim to seemingly comply and adhere to FFP regulations, based on this he must surely be a relatively 'pure business man' at least in some respects. I suspect he's caught somewhere between a rock and a hard place - he'd like (I'm sure) to back the club to the hilt and b u g g e r the possible consequences. Nonetheless I'd say his current stance is prudent in many ways, I think we all know he has the best interests of the club at heart, and wants to stabilise the managerial merry-go-round if possible. He'll also want to maximise income and maintain our status as a championship club (I doubt he'd advocate a cost saving relegation, although I'm dubious this could be achieved - evidence from other clubs?!?), and be acutely aware of the timescales etc. involved.

Let's face it we're only 'just' (ha!) in the relegation area, not good enough yes, but we're not finished yet. Sami has a little wriggle room, but Friday is absolutely key for the Hyypia family Christmas.

Kosh

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
I hope you're right. Sadly I'm ultra cynical and whilst I accept Tony is a supporter, he's now chairman and one who's invested massively in the club - The only publically available fact here regards his aim to seemingly comply and adhere to FFP regulations, based on this he must surely be a relatively 'pure business man' at least in some respects. I suspect he's caught somewhere between a rock and a hard place - he'd like (I'm sure) to back the club to the hilt and b u g g e r the possible consequences. Nonetheless I'd say his current stance is prudent in many ways, I think we all know he has the best interests of the club at heart, and wants to stabilise the managerial merry-go-round if possible. He'll also want to maximise income and maintain our status as a championship club (I doubt he'd advocate a cost saving relegation, although I'm dubious this could be achieved - evidence from other clubs?!?), and be acutely aware of the timescales etc. involved.

Let's face it we're only 'just' (ha!) in the relegation area, not good enough yes, but we're not finished yet. Sami has a little wriggle room, but Friday is absolutely key for the Hyypia family Christmas.

Kosh

Sheffield United were relegated from the Championship in the 2010/2011 season - their income in the following season in League 1 dropped from £16.1M to £10.2M but their costs fell at the same time - most notably their wage bill which fell almost exactly the same from £16.1M to £10.9M. Other costs also fell resulting in a reduction in the operating loss of £12.8M to £11.9M. Last year that loss fell to £1.3M as the full benefit of cost cutting was felt and turnover increased.

Preston, relegated from the Championship at the same time as Sheffield United saw its losses fall from £15.4M to £7.3M in the following season - I haven't checked Scunthorpe's figures, the third team to be relegated at the end of the 2010/11 season.

With permitted losses in the Championship next season rising to £13M it is not unrealistic to expect losses in League 1 to be broadly similar if not substantially less.

The worrying bit of course is that none of these three teams have yet managed to regain promotion to the Championship.

It is the SCMP, (Salary Cost Management Protocol), limiting players wages to 60% of turnover, reported on a monthly basis, that does limit losses in League 1.

The other major factor of course is the introduction of the new FFP regulations for the Championship coming into force next season - permitted losses have been increased from £5M to £39 million over three years for the majority of clubs, (up to £83M for clubs relegated from the Premier League). It is reasonable to assume that in order for the club to compete in the Championship that player's wages would increase and that club losses would approach the £13M level.

I know all this (tbh it's-self evident) that's why there's no case to argue about.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
I really can't believe that Tony would shove off 'down under' with the situation
as it is. It would be like a captain leaving a sinking ship.

Something has to happen today.

I'm thinking about doing a Tony myself, turn my back on it all for the winter and hope the mess has gone away when I come back.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Everything you say would be sound if the club were making a profit - the problem though is that it is making consistent losses.

There is a strong case to argue that if we are relegated then losses next season would actually be less than if we remain in the Championship.

Long term of course relegation won't improve our chances of getting to the promised land of the Premier League, the club's only real hope of ever returning a profit.

What you suggest is alarming. If the club are willing to wait for the academy to produce then this scenario, where we would be a big fish in a small pond, is worryingly possible. All on hold for 5 years, and as long as the team are reasonably competitive in League One crowds would be between 12 and 18k and I imagine wages would fall dramatically. If TB is unwilling/unable to fund Championship football any longer relegation,it appears,may not be the disaster it appears to be to fans at the moment. It would explain why Sami is being left to get on with it as staying up may no longer be considered the be all and end all?

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
Lets all get behind the team on Friday night it's all about confidence now the team needs to make a little bit of luck we all know when you down the bottom things go against you and the team hears the groans and moans from the stands. I am watching my first league game since Blackburn from the South Stand due to getting over an operation I am looking forward to the game. Come on Millwall are one of the teams that does well against us at home lets change it on Friday.

Shinbreath

Nov 1, 2008
Hove...
What you suggest is alarming. If the club are willing to wait for the academy to produce then this scenario, where we would be a big fish in a small pond, is worryingly possible. All on hold for 5 years, and as long as the team are reasonably competitive in League One crowds would be between 12 and 18k and I imagine wages would fall dramatically. If TB is unwilling/unable to fund Championship football any longer relegation,it appears,may not be the disaster it appears to be to fans at the moment. It would explain why Sami is being left to get on with it as staying up may no longer be considered the be all and end all?

This is what I'm slowly coming to terms with. That if this is a possibility that the club have considered, (I would expect that the board and the accountants would have looked at every possible angle, even when times were better), it may be a blip in the long term plan, but one that they are able to deal with as has been suggested before.

I expect that if we are relegated, I do expect us to be one of the richer clubs in the division even with lower gates and therefore be able to get promoted within a reasonable time. (2 season maximum)..

The flipside of the gamble is that we just scrape relegation and stay up allowing a serious re shuffle in the summer and giving Sami the set up he needs and a full pre season to prepare for the next charge.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
i seriously do not consider sami capable of managing a team in league one either. so any plan to let him take us down and then back up again is fatally flawed from the outset.

If relegation is not considered a major disaster it does at least buy more time. We can sack him at season's end if we are relegated.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Hyypia thanks Board for backing

Albion boss Sami Hyypia has thanked the Board for their backing as he fights to save his job.

Hyypia’s future was discussed during a Board meeting yesterday.

It was scheduled before the successive defeats against Fulham and leaders Derby which have left the club in the Championship relegation zone and before chairman Tony Bloom heads off to Australia for the winter.

The Seagulls face fellow strugglers Millwall in a crucial clash in front of the Sky cameras at the Amex on Friday night with Hyypia grateful for the backing of the hierarchy.

They have refused to bow to fan pressure calling for the head of the workaholic Finn during a run of one win in the last 16 league games.

Hyypia, speaking before the Board meeting, told The Argus: “As long as I am in this position I feel I have the backing of the Board. People are being very supportive and I want to thank them for that, because they understand and see what is happening.

“Of course, I am responsible for everything but they can see how we do our work and what’s happening on the pitch. I would still say they wouldn’t need to say to me I have their backing, because I can feel it, I can see it, and as long as I am wearing this (Albion) shirt then I have the backing.

“I’ve never had a feeling that I didn’t have that but it would be great if sometimes I was able to switch off as well. I am thinking constantly about what we could do better, what we need to change to do better or how we can get more out of the players more consistently.

“It would be great if I could switch off, think about something else and come back more effective.”

:(:nono::facepalm::wozza::rolleyes::ffsparr::tantrum::(:FFSPuncheon:shit::shutup::shootself:cry::glare::sick::wrong::sick::down:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here