Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Breaking news: Reports of explosion in Manchester

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Not sure I get that. This is being reported as a suspect suicide bomb. I've always assumed that those would be triggered by someone pressing a button (or whatever), rather than setting a timer. I'll admit to not being an expert on these things though.

Not saying this is the case, but sometimes they will use a timer as groups have used unwilling people and or people that may pull out at the last minute. Probably not the case here though.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I think we all know what kind of sick monster it probably was. Mustn't say it, though, might offend them...................
If it was a suicide bomber, then I would guess it was a religious fool who incorrectly thought he was carrying out the work of god. I don't think you can offend him, as he's dead. Of course if you just tried to tar every religious person with the same brush, then yes, that would be dumb and offensive. I'm not sure what you're wanting to say that you can't.

This is a disgusting, sick thing to do to fellow human beings. What the hell goes through their mind when they're targeting concerts full of kids?
That they're doing god's work and going to heaven?

How do these people think they're representing God?
Brainwashing.

BevBHA

Jan 23, 2017
RIP the victims, thoughts with their families. Terrible news to wake up to.

We'll fly flags at half mast, lay flowers, change profile pictures and tweet #PrayforManchester and then wait for the next attack. There are around 3000 'dangerous' people in our country and we do nothing. We are a shambles and we are walking into civil war. THIS IS SCARY SOMEONE DO SOMETHING

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Do we now have to completely change how we attend events of this nature be in sports,concerts etc

No frigging way-that's exactly what they want.

Carry on as normal-don't let these backward, superstitious ****s get the upper hand.

They attack our off duty soldiers, they attack our armed police officers, they attack our seats of government. The police and soldiers are trained in some way to at least defend themselves and can at least try and fight back.

But now they attack our children who's minds are full of joy and love and fun. Innocent of all the political crap and nonsense.

Sad, shameful and disgusting.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
The attacker walked into the entrance area and detonated the device, which was less crowded than it might have been is the suggestion.

I get that but by the sounds of the reports they detonated it to coincide with the end of the show. He would have detonated it earlier had the show ended earlier. The suggestion that the timing saved people isn't necessarily correct

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
I get that but by the sounds of the reports they detonated it to coincide with the end of the show. He would have detonated it earlier had the show ended earlier. The suggestion that the timing saved people isn't necessarily correct

I know, there's conflicting accounts still. It's just awful beyond words this.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Half the country knows that religion is the problem and the other half bury their heads in the sand.

I,m sure that if statistics could have been made over the last 2000 years, religion would have been responsible for far more deaths, barbaric cruelty and troubles in the world, than the comfort and peace it has bought.

Saying that religion is the problem is like saying football is at fault for the terrible episodes of violence that surround it.

The vast majority of people who practice religion don't destroy other lives like this. I don't bury my hand in any sand, I'm just aware that through some warped ideology there are a small number of people who do most terrible things. There is no obvious solution except ongoing attempts to educate, reconcile and show a different way. Any other solution that involves mass repression of many innocents, as history shows, only leads to more division and worse conflict.

The problem, as we sadly see last night, is this: You cannot defeat someone who is prepared to die for what they believe in. You can only do your best through responsible engagement (and the quality work of prevention by security services) to limit the problem. Hopefully one day we will succeed. But it is a long road that I fear we have only just started. We all have a part to play- and what we write on forums is a small part of it.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Ah yes.........remember all those years ago when radical Muslim clerics were standing on the streets of this proud and tolerant country and spouting their bile and poison at the Western World. At the time, those who supposedly knew better, rallied to their defence, upholding their right to free speech and civil liberty. Police were instructed to stand aside and allow them to preach whatever they liked, whilst arresting those that protested that these views struck at the very heart and fabric of our society.
They brainwashed and converted the immature and the vulnerable to their warped, distorted and sordid ideology, in private and in public, not just in tens, not just in hundreds but in thousands. Steadily it grew but to many it posed no danger. It was such a small minority that it didn't represent a threat. The so called ' politically correct ' continued to leap to their defence. The majority of the ever growing Muslim community remained silent.
The intellectual and learned community, those who studied and understood the intolerance of the Islamic belief, and expressed their concern, were roundly condemned, again and again and again. And now, whenever these terrorist attacks occur ( which they will, with ever increasing frequency ) those that allowed these poisonous seeds to be sown and grow, are the first to go public with their sorrow and condolence.
These incidents sicken, sadden and anger in equal measure. It is always the innocent that suffer. Trying to deal with an ideology that sees no other and regards itself as the last, the final word of God, is an impossibility. It is a one way path to bloodshed. We have years and years of this ahead of us and we must fight it with every sinew we can muster. It threatens our future stability.
We had a chance to drive this underground. That chance was callously chucked aside by those who thought they knew better. Those who infiltrated our education system, our local government and central government system and our media world, brainwashed many with their politically correct ideas.
They have a lot to answer for but will bear no sense of responsiblilty. We are trying to deal with something that is now out of control and can only hope that more are prevented carrying out these acts than actually succeed.
My thoughts, as always, are with those who have suffered.
No.

Yoda

English & European
Seems most news channels will always read out a statement from any extremist group about any atrocity anywhere at anytime, although it can be uneasy to see how people might glorify a heinous action, now's not the time to somehow start censoring words, is it ??

But just the news channels reading out a statement from the group will not 'brainwash' influential people into joining their cause. Site's and social media pages that aid their cause and recruitment need targeting.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003

Empty words in my mind.

They pay lip service to these atrocities rather than do something about the warped ideology within their religion. They'll 'show solidarity with the victims and their families' but next week it will be back to normal. That is the depressing thing.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
If it was a suicide bomber, then I would guess it was a religious fool who incorrectly thought he was carrying out the work of god. I don't think you can offend him, as he's dead. Of course if you just tried to tar every religious person with the same brush, then yes, that would be dumb and offensive. I'm not sure what you're wanting to say that you can't.
:facepalm:
That beggars belief! Other posts indicate that fellow NSCers know exactly what I mean. There is one very fine post explaining it exactly. Sadly, you now appear to have rejected it out of hand.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Truly shocking scenes,little kids slaughtered by backward savages.
What is our prime ministers priority?
Bring back fox hunting.
Unbelievable.
What's unbelievable is your post. What a load of shit. I'm anti fox hunting, but carrying carrying on with making what seem like rather trivial laws (in light of today's news) is exactly what a free country should be doing.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Other posts indicate that fellow NSCers know exactly what I mean. There is one very fine post explaining it exactly.
There are a lot of posts, which one is it that says what you're too afraid to say?
Sadly, you now appear to have rejected it out of hand.
I imagine it was a load of shit then.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Empty words in my mind.

They pay lip service to these atrocities rather than do something about the warped ideology within their religion. They'll 'show solidarity with the victims and their families' but next week it will be back to normal. That is the depressing thing.

Your signature could not be more apt "Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege"

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
RIP the victims, thoughts with their families. Terrible news to wake up to.

We'll fly flags at half mast, lay flowers, change profile pictures and tweet #PrayforManchester and then wait for the next attack. There are around 3000 'dangerous' people in our country and we do nothing. We are a shambles and we are walking into civil war. THIS IS SCARY SOMEONE DO SOMETHING

There are more than 3000 dangerous people in this country – 11 people stabbed to death on London streets in the past month alone.

We are far from a shambles. What an insult to our police and intelligence services who continue to risk their lives protecting us. Who knows how many atrocities have been prevented, and the risks taken in doing so. We're yet to know how many victims maybe police and security services that you are denigrating so flippantly, smells slightly of The Sun story they've decided to run with this morning. Do you really think the families of a potentially fallen police officer want to hear people suggest we do nothing, or those of Keith Palmer?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
The unfortunate fact is there is precious little we can do about these kind of attacks, is there?

Our security services are seemingly able to work small miracles in regularly snuffing out attacks from groups and cells that their intelligence unearths, but lone wolf attacks are all but impossible to know about until it's too late.

We can beef up security on entrance to mass attendance venues, such as we have seen at the Amex, but that merely moves the point where an attack may occur further out.

That this attack happened at the end of the concert just outside the main arena may indicate that this attack was carried out by someone approaching the venue having not gone to the concert itself.

If we can stop bad actors getting into football stadiums, we can do little to stop them targeting crowds as they leave stadiums in city centres or on public transport.

So terribly sad :(

Quite.

Difficult to accept but this hangs over all of us, every time we go to a game, or pass through a busy station, wherever.

And yet incredibly, just days ago, you had people on this very forum whining about the security measures around the gathering of 100,000 people on our sea-front.

"Bag searches, Barber? WTF?"

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here