Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

EFL Statement Milwall fans Wembley pitch invasion

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
A moat. Wembley needs a moat. With crocodiles. And... every Millwall supporter has to have a cooked chicken on a chain around his neck in order to gain access to the ground.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
51mBXOk1WqL.jpg

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
the last paragraph says

The EFL has witnessed an increased number of pitch incursions this season and will look to work with its Clubs and supporter groups across the country to establish what practical measures can be put in place to reduce the number of instances in the future.

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
the last paragraph says

The EFL has witnessed an increased number of pitch incursions this season and will look to work with its Clubs and supporter groups across the country to establish what practical measures can be put in place to reduce the number of instances in the future.

Pfffft.... EFL.

"Who?"

:lolol:

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
The line "a mindless few opted to goad the Bradford City players" sums it up. 30K fans at a guess and a few spoil it. I hope the EFL & police track the few down and throw the book at them.
But then comes "an increased number of pitch incursions this season" which would include ours. I'd hate to think we were being put in the same pot as Millwall.
Millwall will, of course, say they are working to sort out the problem.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
You could have "Pitch Invasion" days at several of the major pitches in the country and therefore get the need to run around on the pitch off the fans agendas and make it not seem so grandeur.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
The line "a mindless few opted to goad the Bradford City players" sums it up. 30K fans at a guess and a few spoil it. I hope the EFL & police track the few down and throw the book at them.
But then comes "an increased number of pitch incursions this season" which would include ours. I'd hate to think we were being put in the same pot as Millwall.
Millwall will, of course, say they are working to sort out the problem.

On the face of it we are in the same pot as Millwall but I think the circumstances should have called for a bit more decorum from them. Ours was at home, with one home game left to play and was celebrating promotion to the Premier League.

Theirs was at a neutral venue, with at least five more games to be played on it, celebrating promotion to the Championship and a small number of them were intent on being tossers to a losing team.

It's hard to throw stones in this particular glass house but I think the wider footballing world would look on ours and Millwall's in very different lights.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I'm surprised they managed it! Wembley looks like a nightmare to get on the pitch with the horizontal railings

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
There is a slight hypocrisy of fans all round the country who have invaded the pitch at their own ground at the end of the season or if the fans have something to celebrate in recent weeks.

No pitch invasion is acceptable whether it be at your own ground or at Wembley or at an away fixture. You could see this coming. There have been so many shown on TV in recent weeks and that includes the one at the Amex that with nothing having about them that it was becoming the ''Acceptable Norm''

Indeed Commentators describing all of them as ''Wonderful Scenes'' - You cannot say that Wembley is not acceptable and other grounds are because some League Titles and Promotions are won away from home and they should never be acceptable at any ground whatsoever.

I do agree that they are ''wonderful scenes'' when your team is the one celebrating and it must be hard not to get caught up in the Euphoria. The invasion at Wembley was unacceptable and you sort of always knew that Millwall would get it in the neck for it. They are an easy target because of their reputation but it could have been any team because the invasions are so common now when a team wins something.

The EFL should have a fineing system in place for any pitch invasion based on the Gravity of the situation. There needs to be a culture brought back that it is not OK to celebrate in that manner.

Jimmehh

Mar 21, 2016
Sussex by the Sea
There is a slight hypocrisy of fans all round the country who have invaded the pitch at their own ground at the end of the season or if the fans have something to celebrate in recent weeks.

No pitch invasion is acceptable whether it be at your own ground or at Wembley or at an away fixture. You could see this coming. There have been so many shown on TV in recent weeks and that includes the one at the Amex that with nothing having about them that it was becoming the ''Acceptable Norm''

Indeed Commentators describing all of them as ''Wonderful Scenes'' - You cannot say that Wembley is not acceptable and other grounds are because some League Titles and Promotions are won away from home and they should never be acceptable at any ground whatsoever.

I do agree that they are ''wonderful scenes'' when your team is the one celebrating and it must be hard not to get caught up in the Euphoria. The invasion at Wembley was unacceptable and you sort of always knew that Millwall would get it in the neck for it. They are an easy target because of their reputation but it could have been any team because the invasions are so common now when a team wins something.

The EFL should have a fineing system in place for any pitch invasion based on the Gravity of the situation. There needs to be a culture brought back that it is not OK to celebrate in that manner.

:yawn:

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley

Dull and pointless read

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Boring YES but at least I didn't stoop to slagging the Millwall fans off for doing exactly what many other clubs fans have done in recent weeks

It's a touch unfair on the teams competing in the the other five cup finals (FA Vase, FA Trophy, League 2 Play-off, Championship Play-off and FA Cup) yet to be played on that pitch but whatever.

My personal problem with the Millwall pitch invasion is the small number of their fans who went on with the intention of causing aggro with Bradford players. Their team had just been promoted FFS, have some respect.

Same with Boro last season. They won, got promoted and went on the pitch. Cool, it's your pitch, do what you like. It is not cool to antagonise and wind up the other team. It's like that was their takeaway moment from the day, "Yeah I got right in that bald bloke's face" not "ERMAGHERD WE'RE IN THE PREMIER LEAGUE!"

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here