Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Baldock and Stephens - Argus stats.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Sounds snobby but it's true. Look how disjointed we've looked without him.
It's snobby and it's completely untrue. [MENTION=3566]hans kraay fan club[/MENTION] on here didn't have much time for Baldock until the end of last season, and as far as I'm concerned he knows his onions. Certainly more than most, including dicks who hold this view that anyone who disagrees with them doesn't understand the game.

It's perfectly reasonable to hold a negative view of a forward who managed about six league goals in 2 seasons for us. Plenty of people consider a non-scoring forward as a luxury we couldn't afford, especially as last season we missed out on goal difference, and struggling (relatively) to score goals in the first half of the season was one of the things that cost us a Premier league place.

The irony is that I agree with you that SB has always been worth his place. Personally I have stated many times on here over the past that he is probably the best forward in the division off the ball, and he creates far more space for other players to run into than anybody else. Great football brain.

But it must be said that until this season he hasn't looked like scoring enough goals and for that reason I'm not going to accuse people who disagree with me of not understanding the game. That would be snobby and frankly, incorrect.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
It's snobby and it's completely untrue. [MENTION=3566]hans kraay fan club[/MENTION] on here didn't have much time for Baldock until the end of last season, and as far as I'm concerned he knows his onions. Certainly more than most, including dicks who hold this view that anyone who disagrees with them doesn't understand the game.

It's perfectly reasonable to hold a negative view of a forward who managed about six league goals in 2 seasons for us. Plenty of people consider a non-scoring forward as a luxury we couldn't afford, especially as last season we missed out on goal difference, and struggling (relatively) to score goals in the first half of the season was one of the things that cost us a Premier league place.

The irony is that I agree with you that SB has always been worth his place. Personally I have stated many times on here over the past that he is probably the best forward in the division off the ball, and he creates far more space for other players to run into than anybody else. Great football brain.

But it must be said that until this season he hasn't looked like scoring enough goals and for that reason I'm not going to accuse people who disagree with me of not understanding the game. That would be snobby and frankly, incorrect.

I came round to Baldock sooner than that. It's only ever his goal output that was a big concern. I'm not sure you could even level that against him this season. I'm sure someone can find that stats, but I don't think the goals per minute for our three strikers will be very different.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

Literally couldn't give less of a shit how many goals he scores. All that matters is how the team functions and how many goals the team scores when he's in it. And it's plenty.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I'll trust the likes of Bruno and Chris Hughton on this one, over anyone on a football forum (no disrespect intended, [MENTION=3566]hans kraay fan club[/MENTION])

It's not just that SB "runs around a lot", as many seem to think. He's an incredibly intelligent footballer.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patreon
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
N'golo Kante.

World class positioning, world class reading of the game and world class fitness enable him to be 'everywhere' on the pitch. World class tackling and some great passing and skills make him the best midfielder in the Premier League in my opinion, certainly better than Pogba.

He really is the equivalent of two players. Leicester played 4-5-2 last season. They need to play one up front now Kante has gone as he is irreplaceable.

Seems that he'll always be playing for the team leading the Premier League until Barca or Madrid snap him up.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
All of which asks a really stupid question.
Of all your superstitions pre-match (clothes, buses, pint & the rest) would you bring on a player with 5 minutes to go because we've never lost with him on the pitch regardless of the tactics?

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Chances are I'm going to need a few runs at this before I finally make sense.

SB's role in the team is critical to how they all play, so to that end he is very much a key player.
No matter how willing he is, Hemed quite clearly isn't a suitable replacement.

I'll happily mock all the nimrods who think 'chucking one of the wingers in there instead' and it'll be ok.
Although in fairness that's a claim that doesn't seem to be trotted out as much, not now all the available wingers have shown what a bad idea it is.

But it's clear, and I'm sure he'd be the first to admit it, himself, Baldock should be weighing in with considerably more goals.
Hence questioning whether he's the key, or is it 'just' the position.

As someone who has defended Baldock to the hilt on here, I'm pretty much in full agreement with your position.

One point I will make is that despite us clearly being in the market for another guy in there and having the money available for someone, we've ended up going for a loanee. It suggests to me that this type of player isn't growing on trees without breaking the bank.

He's been good value. Interesting that in amongst the cloggers we bought in July/ August 14, Stockdale and Baldock have gone on to be first team stalwarts. Add to that the capture of Stephens in January 2014 and even a period of time we think of the transfers as being disastrous still brought in a decent amount of talent. Though it is beyond doubt that all three of them have improved under the new regime.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Literally couldn't give less of a shit how many goals he scores. All that matters is how the team functions and how many goals the team scores when he's in it. And it's plenty.
As I say, I agree with you. But those who don't agree with us shouldn't be written off as "not understanding the game" for that opinion alone. That is pompous drivel.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Im not Baldocks biggest fan, but i certainly recognise what he brings to the team and what he contributes, we certainly miss him when he does not play.

Adders1

Jan 14, 2013
Only game i have seen at the Amex this season was QPR in Dec, and Baldock worked his nuts off. Was lucky enough to be behind the goal, and his first and second touches had so much class the goalkeeper had absolutely no chance. He looks to me like a player who creates his own luck through hard work and doesnt appear to be a dick head either. Knocky and Baldock work really well together [MENTION=25103]golddene[/MENTION]

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Stat Brother has got this spot on... Sam B has just had zero competition for too long, and the jury is most definitely out whether Chuba A can plug the gap...

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012
But it's clear, and I'm sure he'd be the first to admit it, himself, Baldock should be weighing in with considerably more goals..

All strikers would say that.
He's scored 7 in 17, with 4 assists so on track for 15-20 goal season. So how many more *should* he be weighing in with. 10 ? 15 ? 20 ?
What about Murray . Is his 15 goals enough ?

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
All strikers would say that.
He's scored 7 in 17, with 4 assists. So how many more *should* he be weighing in with. 10 ? 15 ? 20 ?

Much better this season, it has to be said... awful goal stats before this season...

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
[MENTION=22888]ChazzyBHA[/MENTION] latest excellent video hasn't done SB any favours.

Showing all of Baldock's, many of them superb, goals scored with his left, right and head, from anywhere inside 25 yards from goals, leaves the open goal tap-in question:-

'Why has he only scored 15 goals in 79 appearances'?

I count myself one of Sam's biggest fans, because of everything else he brings to the side.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
As I say, I agree with you. But those who don't agree with us shouldn't be written off as "not understanding the game" for that opinion alone. That is pompous drivel.

Fair play. Is a bit pompous.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
The stats don't lie. 21W 7D and 0L at the Amex over a 2+ year period when Sam is involved. That is (for once from Naylor) a mind-blowing stat.

And [MENTION=24867]chaileyjem[/MENTION] is right, his goals/assists contribution is excellent this season.

We miss him.

PG

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012
[MENTION=22888]ChazzyBHA[/MENTION] latest excellent video hasn't done SB any favours.

Showing all of Baldock's, many of them superb, goals scored with his left, right and head, from anywhere inside 25 yards from goals, leaves the open goal tap-in question:-

'Why has he only scored 15 goals in 79 appearances'?

Perhaps playing in a team in 2014/15 that was nearly relegated might have something to do with it.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here