Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Tendering process under existing EU regulations.(we havnt left yet)
No British firm bias permitted.
No preference for British jobs allowed.
No need now for the De La Rue planned investment if they had secured the deal.

You remoaners love all that, no wonder you are all laughing….....…...bizarre behaviour .

Will still be nice to have European Union erased from the front though.

Why are De La Rue not allowed to bid for the French passport contract then if EU regulations make it an open bid process here?

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
I bet she said this in her whiniest, most annoying little voice as well.

This should be a moment that we should be celebrating. The return of our iconic blue passport will re-establish the British identity.

“But to be putting the job in the hands of the French is simply astonishing. It is a national humiliation.

“I would urge Amber Rudd and the Government to look again at the powers they have to see what they can do

pritipatel-415x292.jpg

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
So, rushing forward with the passport thing was... not thought through particularly well? :facepalm:

Other than it wasn't rushed - the current contract is coming to an end and the government have to put the new contract out to tender ( thanks to EU laws ). Unless of course we were going to stop issuing passports between the contract end and us leaving the EU ?

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Other than it wasn't rushed - the current contract is coming to an end and the government have to put the new contract out to tender ( thanks to EU laws ). Unless of course we were going to stop issuing passports between the contract end and us leaving the EU ?

Why are De La Rue not allowed to bid for the French passport contract then if EU regulations make it an open bid process here?

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic

Yeah, so I understand. De La Rue? Will be interesting to see when we start negotiating trade deals if this single contract will take up to a year.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
and luckily, we will be able to fish anywhere we like, and not expect to pay tariffs. Apparently.

:lolol: I imagine people like JRM have this dreamy idea of flotillas of British ships once again sailing around the world doing as they choose and educating far flung parts of the globe.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I am glad to see the leavers here are relaxed about where Passports are made, and who can fish where. Fishing rights are after all just remaining the same for the transition period, the final arrangement has not even begun to be discussed. The Passport contract will be re tendered in five years, and being Global Britain, will have a fair chance of being made by slave labour in China.
The Brexit press though, that keeps telling us we can trade with the world once out, seem so upset about an international deal, a contract that the UK Government has given to the best provider that tendered? They do realise trade works both ways don't they?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Tendering process under existing EU regulations.(we havnt left yet)
No British firm bias permitted.
No preference for British jobs allowed.
No need now for the De La Rue planned investment if they had secured the deal.

You remoaners love all that, no wonder you are all laughing….....…...bizarre behaviour .

Will still be nice to have European Union erased from the front though.

Britain doesn’t make anything so it’s unlikely there’s a passport company that could apply.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003

I don't know, maybe red top mis-information ? I suggest you ask the French or the EU. I've worked on tender bids for dozens of government contracts and the rules are very clear that over a certain value a contract has to go to tender and is open to anyone to bid that is on the appropriate government procurement list for that service / goods. Maybe De La Rue haven't bothered to get themselves on the French government procurement list ?

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
I don't know, maybe red top mis-information ? I suggest you ask the French or the EU. I've worked on tender bids for dozens of government contracts and the rules are very clear that over a certain value a contract has to go to tender and is open to anyone to bid that is on the appropriate government procurement list for that service / goods. Maybe De La Rue haven't bothered to get themselves on the French government procurement list ?

City AM quote De La Rue's chief executive Martin Sutherland on BBC this morning saying they're not allowed to - http://www.cityam.com/282739/rue-weighs-up-appeal-after-missing-out-new-post-brexit-blue

Tom Newton-Dunn, who broke the story in The Sun, states "Under strict civil service procurement rules, the government is also not able to discriminate by excluding other EU nations from bidding." and quotes a Home Office Spokeswoman as saying "We do not require passports to be manufactured from the UK".

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/58695...lue-british-passports-will-be-made-in-france/

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
I am glad to see the leavers here are relaxed about where Passports are made,

I wonder if Unite will make a statement saying how outraged they are at the loss of British jobs, similar to their statement of outrage when De La Rue shifted some production of British passports to Malta resulting in job losses here.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
City AM quote De La Rue's chief executive Martin Sutherland on BBC this morning saying they're not allowed to - http://www.cityam.com/282739/rue-weighs-up-appeal-after-missing-out-new-post-brexit-blue

Tom Newton-Dunn, who broke the story in The Sun states "Under strict civil service procurement rules, the government is also not able to discriminate by excluding other EU nations from bidding." and quotes a Home Office Spokeswoman as saying "We do not require passports to be manufactured from the UK".

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/58695...lue-british-passports-will-be-made-in-france/

The answer is, it's got nothing to do with EU regulations.

And yet the BBC say :

"Under EU procurement rules, the Home Office had been required to throw open the bidding process to European firms."

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
If we get the Hard Brexit the headbangers want, are we going to have to pay import tariffs on our own passports? What a delightful, delicious irony that'd end up being.

But seriously, why does it matter where they're made? Isn't Brexit about creating "a more global Britain" anyway?

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
And yet the BBC say :

"Under EU procurement rules, the Home Office had been required to throw open the bidding process to European firms."

Could the reason be that the French Government do it as a state contract, whereby The Home Office do it as a private one?

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
I wonder if Unite will make a statement saying how outraged they are at the loss of British jobs, similar to their statement of outrage when De La Rue shifted some production of British passports to Malta resulting in job losses here.

How many jobs were lost at De La Rue in Basingstoke when that happened out of interest?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here