Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stockdale OFF ***to Birmingham - Official***

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I hate to say this.... but I've had my worries about DS. His run of penalty saves were epic, and of course he won us (or saved us) a lot of points. But PiG was a much better shot stopper (although he his powers have diminished as he has started to morph into.... well the pix below tell the tale. DS has the potential to become a great keeper (they don't seem to hit their stride till their 30s) but he's not there yet, and I worry that he may lose us winnable points next season. Apologies if this is just me.

He got in the Football League team of the Year. This is his record with us.

[tweet]861485297909026816[/tweet]

Lurchy

Jul 2, 2014
DS played for Fulham when they were Premier League - experienced, knows what's coming with PL strikers

He's played 39 games in the Premier League, eight of those were clean sheets and in the others conceded a total of 66 goals.

Focus shouldn't be on his past experience in that league, but instead what he has to offer.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
He got in the Football League team of the Year. This is his record with us.

[tweet]861485297909026816[/tweet]

Yes. Well, I'm still disappointed that Fred was replaced by Ward. Moving on. . . . . :lolol:

Munchkin

Jul 12, 2005
Littlehampton
As previously mentioned I think Stockdale is being quite clever...

Dont read too much into posts on Twitter. He's trying to get a point across.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Great shot and penalty stopper. Good marshaller of the defence. Good at collecting crosses. Superb team player. Wonderful man.

However... some of the most heart stopping moments this season have been when Stockdale has been almost caught in possession.

He got away with it most times, BUT imagine if he'd been up against some of the nippiest strikers in the world - the kind that he'll come up against every week in the Premier League. The kind that will bury any half chance.

I wonder if this is something Hughton is thinking about for next season?

Great post and my thoughts too.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Would have thought DS & backroom staff would/could/should have used state of the art training facilities to work on Stocko's fitness ...

Perhaps his reluctance to make an attempt at "some" saves on a rare occasion at times could be telling us something-fitness covers many things.

All speculation of course..

samtheseagull

Sep 15, 2010
His wife posted a photo of Stocko with his 3 children taken just before Bristol City match - caption = 'last home match' - so is that ever or 'of the season' ?

His wife and a mate of his also posted the Chelsea link story that came about in January. Weird thing to do but looked liked they were trying to get the club to sort of his contract.

Ketchy

Steve Fosters Sweat Band
May 19, 2009
Seaford
Walton needs a full season on loan as no1 in the Championship before being ready as our number 1 in the Premiership.
It could destroy his steady progress if expected to come straight in next season IMO!!!

What about Damian Martinez Arsenal no 3 keeper? been on loan to a few championship clubs and played a few PL and cup games this season!

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
It's a longshot, but if Real Madrid sign de Gea in the summer window, we can go for Kiko Casilla (currently their 2nd choice keeper). There's always the potential of us even going in for Keylor Navas, if de Gea signs early!

HIs son goes to the school I teach at, a British school in Madrid. I will ask if his Dad wants to play in England for you :)

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Perhaps his reluctance to make an attempt at "some" saves on a rare occasion at times could be telling us something-fitness covers many things.

All speculation of course..

Agree 100%. For me it is lack of agility. The two goals up at Newcastle where he had time to take a step before diving and the headed goal against Leeds he could have taken a step before his dive. There have been another couple like that which I don't recall off hand.

I think he has had a good season and I would be more than happy if he stayed but it would be on the clubs terms and I wouldn't be bending over backwards to keep him. If the likes of Dunk or Knockeart or as is the case with Stephens, they were potentially leaving, I would go out of my way to meet their terms if it was possible but with DS, in my opinion it has to be on our terms because I don't feel he warrants retaining at a high cost to the club.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
What about Darlow from Newcastle

Dropped as soon as Elliott was fit and Newcastle have Krul returning

I like him as well when I see him play but a lot of Newcastle fans don't all share that view and they see him more often than I do but I would have Krull if Newcastle were willing to sell.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Agree 100%. For me it is lack of agility. The two goals up at Newcastle where he had time to take a step before diving and the headed goal against Leeds he could have taken a step before his dive. There have been another couple like that which I don't recall off hand.

I think he has had a good season and I would be more than happy if he stayed but it would be on the clubs terms and I wouldn't be bending over backwards to keep him. If the likes of Dunk or Knockeart or as is the case with Stephens, they were potentially leaving, I would go out of my way to meet their terms if it was possible but with DS, in my opinion it has to be on our terms because I don't feel he warrants retaining at a high cost to the club.

Fair view really,in reality we will have to pay a signing on fee and so forth i assume all over again and at Premier league rates,so he would effectively be a new signing anyway,makes me wonder why the contract has been allowed to wind down from the clubs perspective too..it's a matter of figures i suppose.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Tim Krul will be Newcastle's first choice next season, otherwise he'd be an excellent addition. I think we need two goalkeepers, let Maenpaa move on to play first team football somewhere and bring in John Ruddy on a free to be back up to a first choice to come in.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Tim Krul will be Newcastle's first choice next season, otherwise he'd be an excellent addition. I think we need two goalkeepers, let Maenpaa move on to play first team football somewhere and bring in John Ruddy on a free to be back up to a first choice to come in.

Ruddy is probably on premier wages from their time in that league so would he accept being No 2 and would he be an expensive no 2 as we still have to get a No 1. I would sooner agree a deal with Maenpaa and let him and Ruddy fight out as to who is No 1.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here