Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stockdale in the bottom 3

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Would have thought he was sold the dream by Redknapp. They signed him as a statement of intent and I remember there was talk of them signing John Terry and Ashley Cole at the time. All went a bit belly up soon after!

But therein lies the obvious mistake. Who would believe 'Onest 'Arry?

I can understand DS taking the cash, but if his decision to join Birmingham with that useless chancer in charge was anything more, then you have to question his sanity.

attachment.php

MrSnuggles

Apr 29, 2016
You can't know that had he saved it we would have won the Championship.

It's entirely likely we would have seeing as were 0-1 up at 88mins but, as the Grealish goal proved, anything can happen in football. They could have scored in the 89th and then the 90th or the ref could have added 6 mins of added time and they could have gone on to score a freak six goals or something.

But they didn't! The match ended 1-1. You're confusing fact with a hypothetical argument. If Stockdale had saved that shot, which should have been a routine save, then we would have won 1-0 and won the championship. History shows Villa didn't score again...and we didn't win the match!

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

Has that photo has some sort of FaceSwap thing done on it or is it for real? His eyes and mouth look too small for his head. I know he's never been a looker, but...!

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
But they didn't! The match ended 1-1. You're confusing fact with a hypothetical argument. If Stockdale had saved that shot, which should have been a routine save, then we would have won 1-0 and won the championship. History shows Villa didn't score again...and we didn't win the match!

You're assuming that it is a fact we would have won the game. It isn't. That is conjecture based on the available data.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
He went for the money knowing that if would be his last chance to command such a deal, so best of luck to him as he may well have crashed and burned in the PL.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
DS didn’t go for the money. I too thought that he had, until I was corrected by someone who knew the facts from within the club. The club were keen for DS to move on, partly as they wanted a better keeper for the PL.

Think it's well-known he was only offered a one-year deal at the Albion. He went for the security of the longer contract.

If he was #2 at the Albion (and he would have been told or seen that coming), he'd have no guarantee of securing a decent longer-term contract at the end of the season.

So I can totally understand his decision.

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
I think it suited all parties to be honest.

Whilst DS did an excellent job for us in the Championship I feel that Matty Ryan is a far more consistent keeper who also makes great reaction saves. The goal that Villa scored late on to equalise in the final game was surely a clear indication that another keeper was needed. Every point is vital for us and a slip like that would cost us two.

We have Walton coming along in the background and it will be interesting to see how Ryan/Walton pans out in the future.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here