Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

MLB to play a game in LONDON next year ?

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
The fact that there are 162 regular season games in baseball means tickets are pretty cheap.

I know what you mean re the football stadium aspect though. You ideally need a large elevated section behind home plate and 1st + 3rd base, so if it was at the Olympic Stadium the sightlines would not be ideal. Would still love to go though, just to experience it.

A friend of mine has a season ticket for the St Louis Cardinals (a fairly decent team) and its $3000 and its in a decent area of the stadium - that is for 81 matches!

mentally cheap

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
A friend of mine has a season ticket for the St Louis Cardinals (a fairly decent team) and its $3000 and its in a decent area of the stadium - that is for 81 matches!

mentally cheap

£37 (£25) a game then - and a 3 hour+ game at that. Outstanding value innit. I've seen walk-up tickets MUCH cheaper than that as well for excellent seats.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
£37 (£25) a game then - and a 3 hour+ game at that. Outstanding value innit. I've seen walk-up tickets MUCH cheaper than that as well for excellent seats.

You can get a ST for $1400.

Him and 3 other mates buy two between them and share out the games.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes

mentally cheap

$37 per game, not that cheap! When quite a few games are weekday afternoons when people are working.

A Sussex premier cricket membership for perhaps 50 days cricket (T20; T50; CC + overseas tour game) is £250.

PG

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
NFL only seems to send over the "smaller" teams to Wembley, but then there's only 8 home games a season, so that's quite a sacrifice.

The fact that there are 81 home games in the regular season in baseball lessens the impact of losing a home series to London, so I wouldn't be surprised to see at least one of the bigger boys making the trip, maybe against a smaller team (please please please be the Twins).

Really? The New England Patriots (twice), Pittsburgh Steelers, Dallas Cowboys, New York Giants, Chicago Bears ... who are you still waiting for? The Cleveland Browns?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Really? The New England Patriots (twice), Pittsburgh Steelers, Dallas Cowboys, New York Giants, Chicago Bears ... who are you still waiting for? The Cleveland Browns?

Fair do's.
I don't follow NFL particularly closely, was under the impression it was mainly the lesser teams that were sent over. That said, now they're doing 3 games a year I suppose they had to rope in the bigguns too.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
They played the opening games of the 2014 season in Australia, can't remember if it was Sydney or Melbourne, Dodgers against I think Diamondbacks, and it was only two games. Notably the Dodgers left their best starter at home, and it felt a bit flat to me. I'm looking forward to my first live MLB games at Wrigley this August, can't imagine it would be the same at Wembley or wherever.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

Although with NFL games, one of the teams is usually a small market team and it is that small team that has conceded home advantage:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NFL_International_Series#Game_history

If you look at 2013 onwards, half the games appear to be featuring the Jacksonville Jaguars - probably the least valuable franchise in the NFL. The LA Rams are admittedly pencilled in for 2016 and 2017 but as you probably know, they were based in St Louis until about a month ago.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Fair do's.
I don't follow NFL particularly closely, was under the impression it was mainly the lesser teams that were sent over. That said, now they're doing 3 games a year I suppose they had to rope in the bigguns too.

They normally send over some pretty decent teams and also the Jags [MENTION=17389]DarrenFreemansPerm[/MENTION]

Established1982

Jul 30, 2011
One of the NFL teams is usually a small market team because, with only eight home games, you will never get a team that always sells out and has a massive waiting list (Giants, Cowboys, Packers etc.) giving up a home game to come to London. They'd piss off their fans massively and give up a huge chunk of cash.

It's why the 'home' teams e.g. Jaguars, Dolphins, Lions etc. come from small markets, because they don't sell out every week and probably make money coming over to London. NFL has been quite good in ensuring the likes of the Giants and Patriots come over as the away team though. The Rams moving to LA and becoming a top market team has obviously helped because I guess there were certain obligations agreed when they were in St Louis that LA have to go through with.

On the original thread title, I'm massively pumped for MLB to come to London, will be amazing even if the stadium isn't ideal. With that many games - and a clear desire to make a big splash in Europe - I'm sure they'll be able to bring over a well known team. BT Sport will doubtlessly get right behind it as well. Finally, if it's at the Olympic Stadium I doubt it will be during the football season because that would cause big issues for West Ham, especially just when they're working out how things work at the start of the season. Would think it was more likely to be in June/July because then the setup will be much more easily done.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Perhaps it could be the catalyst for a return of baseball to mainsteam TV?? I used to love C5's Sunday night coverage anchored by the excellent Johnny Gould.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
I suppose this was inevitable given that there is more and more cross-ownership of sports teams by UK and US owners. The guy that owns Liverpool also owns the Red Sox and NYCFC is jointly owned by Man City and the Yankees.

LowKarate

Jan 6, 2004
Wombling free
Perhaps it could be the catalyst for a return of baseball to mainsteam TV?? I used to love C5's Sunday night coverage anchored by the excellent Johnny Gould.

BT have loads of MLB games throughout the season so it's already available on mainstream TV. :wink:

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Although with NFL games, one of the teams is usually a small market team and it is that small team that has conceded home advantage:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NFL_International_Series#Game_history

If you look at 2013 onwards, half the games appear to be featuring the Jacksonville Jaguars - probably the least valuable franchise in the NFL. The LA Rams are admittedly pencilled in for 2016 and 2017 but as you probably know, they were based in St Louis until about a month ago.

The Rams are playing at the afore-mentioned Coliseum next season then moving to a new ground, called Farmers Field.

Eggman

Jul 8, 2003
West Sussex
For me. I don't mind baseball. I lived in Tampa and watched the Rays and it was fun. What ruins it for me is there are so many games in a regular season rendering many games pretty meaningless IMHO. That's what I love NFL. Each and every game means something.

Playoff baseball on the other hand can be epic.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here