Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Saturday could be very important....

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
In terms of the rest of our season. Win and get a plum 5th round draw away or at home and that could be the difference between, a signing that could really make a difference or not. If we really are running a very tight ship because of FFP. Saturday could just be a must win game, in terms of getting a quality player or two in.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Not really. We have sold three players already and if we have any ambition of being a Premier league club then those players will need replacing. Players that will actually improve the team and not the ones we are rumored or linked with. A cup run would be a bonus but our season shouldn't hinge on getting a lucky draw in a cup

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
In terms of the rest of our season. Win and get a plum 5th round draw away or at home and that could be the difference between, a signing that could really make a difference or not. If we really are running a very tight ship because of FFP. Saturday could just be a must win game, in terms of getting a quality player or two in.
Cup runs are always handy and provide the club with cash which I presume hasn't been factored in the budgets. Being greedy I'd like a draw on Saturday, 20k at home for the reply and a plum draw in the fifth round.

That said from the draw on Sunday to the close of the January window gives us five working days to get something in place.

dragonred

Aug 8, 2011
Hove
putting money to one side, at the moment a top premiership draw at home would do wonders for boosting a large amount of the support's flagging enthusiasm I think. The Amex has been at times a morgue and with no obvious marque signings on the way (so far) and a few leaving the club, a boost is definitely needed. So for me, regardless of the final score although taking a major scalp would be priceless, a decent end to end game against top class opposition filling the away end to the max would be a real tonic and much needed for the run in that's ahead.

willyfantastic

Mar 1, 2009
Cup runs are always handy and provide the club with cash which I presume hasn't been factored in the budgets. Being greedy I'd like a draw on Saturday, 20k at home for the reply and a plum draw in the fifth round.

That said from the draw on Sunday to the close of the January window gives us five working days to get something in place.

surely if there are bonuses for appearances worked into certain players contract then wouldnt the amount be almost not worth wanting to get a repaly?

Jimmy Grimble

A replay would cost us more money, better off going straight through.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells

Replay is no good, as you cannot say we would win with any certainty and therefore cannot budget the income into the transfer window. As the replay would take place in Feb.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Palace and Cardiff both had very good cup runs the season before promotion to the PL.

Let's put out our strongest side and give a great performance.

Personnally I'd like a replay ( which we win of course ) and to see Adams at the Amex.

Last edited:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
putting money to one side, at the moment a top premiership draw at home would do wonders for boosting a large amount of the support's flagging enthusiasm I think. The Amex has been at times a morgue and with no obvious marque signings on the way (so far) and a few leaving the club, a boost is definitely needed.

The Amex has always had quiet games, and the Birmingham atmosphere was one of the best since the Amex opened. 27k vs Brum, 28k vs Bournemouth, 27k vs H'field, even the 20k vs Reading are all contrary figures that don't support the idea of 'flagging enthusiasm'. Don't make the mistake of confusing the antipathy shown by some on these boards with what actually happens inside the ground.

brightonmark1234

Feb 9, 2010
Worthing
sorry disagree I wouldn't call Saturday a must win and Tuesday against burnley is more of a must win

Jimmy Grimble

What makes you say that? I can't think of any reason why a home fixture in the cup wouldn't earn us lots of money.

I'm going by our £8 million losses. We reportedly lose money every home game, although this might have been different for the Reading cup game because the club didn't pay for transport, which seems to be one of the most significant contributors to our losses. Maybe [MENTION=31]El Presidente[/MENTION] knows better?

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
The Amex has always had quiet games, and the Birmingham atmosphere was one of the best since the Amex opened. 27k vs Brum, 28k vs Bournemouth, 27k vs H'field, even the 20k vs Reading are all contrary figures that don't support the idea of 'flagging enthusiasm'. Don't make the mistake of confusing the antipathy shown by some on these boards with what actually happens inside the ground.

Why are you questioning the 20k Reading crowd? Most don't seem to -- or want to -- understand that the attendance figure announced reflects tickets sold and granted, rather than the number present in the stadium. Barber has to tell supporters this in virtually every programme he writes. In the FA Cup, the gap between the tickets sold and granted and the actual attendance is far closer than in Championship matches.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here