Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Player Ratings - Newcastle (H)

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
He's received a 5 and a couple of 6's.

Since when was 6 considered average? And anyway, AK was above average today, in fact he was way above average.

Since people started rating player performances?

He has high standards and with that comes high expectations. He didn't create anything today, didn't cover Bruno on occasions and was quite petulant again at times. By his standards, it was an average performance but one I'm still very encouraged by.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Knockaert doesn't 'deserve' less than a 7 IMO, not at his best attacking, but still posed a genuine threat and put in a significant shift with some quality defensive duties.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Knockaert - 7 - some typically elusive runs and ran his socks off, but looks slightly frustrated at lack of end product. Very Unlucky to see his shot blocked by his own player

Wasn't it he who got in the way of Gross' effort in the first half? Unless there was another chance I missed.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Anyone who thought AK had a poor game obviously can't appreciate his 1st touch. How many awkward balls did he manage to control whilst in full stretch? He's touch and guile were a league above everyone else on the pitch. AK seems to be improving game by game.

But his tracking was awful, unless you only arrived at half-time?

Bruno (a 37 year old) ran past him in the first half after he lost the ball.

There is no doubting Knockaert is brilliant, his touch is sublime, has skill to die for, but at the moment at times he is playing for himself more than the team. At Bournemouth his tracking back was abysmal in the first half and again the same today. At Bournemouth Rosenoir and Duffy had a go, today Stephens and also Bruno.

He has to sort this out quickly, the booking was ridiculous........

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
Agreed. Dunk was phenomenal today. Blocked everything. Some of those crucial blocks in the last 10 moons you could argue saved us from losing our win. Unfortunately for Dunk, he made one bad pass where he switched off for a few seconds and suddenly he had the worst performance in the team.

He accidentally did a sort of back-flick in the first half which gifted Newcastle a clear opportunity which they shot just wide as well. Two very poor, potentially game-changing errors in a game is going result in a reduced rating, I'm afraid.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
Wasn't it he who got in the way of Gross' effort in the first half? Unless there was another chance I missed.

AK pushed the Newcastle defender out of the way of the shot but didn't manage to have enough time to get himself out of the way.

Not sure how you can really mark AK down for that considering he was only a few yards Infront of the shot from Gross.

crasher

Jul 8, 2003
Sussex
All about opinions of course, but I think some people are under-rating Propper's performance. Thought he was very good - there was that inch-perfect pass in the first half he swerved into March's path to put him away which was sublime. But he did lots of good defensive work too - he's going to be a hell of a player for us.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
All about opinions of course, but I think some people are under-rating Propper's performance. Thought he was very good - there was that inch-perfect pass in the first half he swerved into March's path to put him away which was sublime. But he did lots of good defensive work too - he's going to be a hell of a player for us.

He was brilliant today.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003

As I already mentioned I thought today was his best game for us so far. He was brilliant. Some silky passes and good defensive work in the mix, too.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Ryan. 7.5. I have been critical of him to date. A very strong performance today. I may have been wrong about him
Bruno. 8. He's back. We win. Legend
Duffy 8. Won every header (as always). Return to top form.
Dunk 7.5 he belongs at this level. Going to have to stay up to keep him.
Sutter. 7.5. First time I've noticed him tbh. Thought he was excellent today
Knockert. 6.5. Foul of the season. Contender in the first half. Glimpses of magic no end product unfortunately
Proper. 7.5. Settling in now. I like this fella. Getting better every game
Stephens. 7. A couple of wayward passes in the first half. But another impressive performance
Solly. 8. The boy has grown up. Another strong game all over the park
Gross. 7 decent. Great save from knocky denied him
Tomer 8. Great goal. Strong performance. Not good enough? Good job he doesn't think so.

Murphy. N/A. Why? I like him. But there's 13.5 m worth of winger on the bench next to him. Surely he needs to come on? Or have we bought a pup?

Yep - this. If I were to quibble, I'd take half a point off Stephens... for passes going astray.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
But his tracking was awful, unless you only arrived at half-time?

Bruno (a 37 year old) ran past him in the first half after he lost the ball.

There is no doubting Knockaert is brilliant, his touch is sublime, has skill to die for, but at the moment at times he is playing for himself more than the team. At Bournemouth his tracking back was abysmal in the first half and again the same today. At Bournemouth Rosenoir and Duffy had a go, today Stephens and also Bruno.

He has to sort this out quickly, the booking was ridiculous........

Do you actually watch and judge players tracking back? I guess I'm more of a football purist who appreciates skill, technique and influence on the game over running around and tracking back, especially when it comes to players like AK.

djentist

Aug 15, 2017
Ryan 8 - some outstanding saves and seems to be growing in confidence very well, kept the doubters quiet

Bruno 7 - dependable as usual, warrior but was susceptible to being out of position when our attacks broke down, this was covered well though
Duffy 8 - rock at the back
Dunk 7 - a few small errors but recovered well from them and again, a huge presence at the back
Suttner 7

Knockaert 6 - tricky on the ball as usual and good movement but final ball seemed a bit off
Stephens 7 - ran the midfield well, looks much sharper now
Propper 7
March 8 - will have a task on our hands to keep hold of him if he continues to impress

Gross 7 - our main creative outlet, worked hard as per usual and should have scored were it not for his effort being blocked

Hemed 8 - lead the line admirably

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
Ryan - 7 did all that was asked
Bruno 8 real happy to have him back
Suttner - 7
Dunk - 8 really good apart from 1 pass. Strong.
Duffy - 8 back on song. Solid
Knockhaert - 6 not his best game. Seemed to sulk a little.
March - 8 flourishing in the prem week after week. Unlucky not to score, great save
Stephens - 7 gave the ball away a little but fairly decent otherwise
Propper - 8 great game. Still think he's far better suited further forward.
Gross - 7 in and out of the game but did well
Hemed - 9 impossible task playing as lone striker, great effort and deserved his goal

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Do you actually watch and judge players tracking back? I guess I'm more of a football purist who appreciates skill, technique and influence on the game over running around and tracking back, especially when it comes to players like AK.

I watch both. I would argue that a football purist is someone that enjoys all elements of the game, as they each have their own skill. Apparently his teammates feel the same, given the bollocking he has now received in two games. Each to their own.

Gross today for example, his movement at times was amazing, is there any less skill in that? Pure genius and I would argue the most technical ability and awareness in the squad, other than Bruno of course........

Edit - I'm not disagreeing that Knockaert has amazing skill and flair, just that football is about more than that. As someone else has pointed out, I think he'll settle down once he scores.....

MrSnuggles

Apr 29, 2016
Knockeart is trying a bit too hard in my opinion. He's trying to live up the the player of the championship last season, and little touches aren't coming off for him. He was running around like a kiddie in the playground. Saying that he's tracking back, chasing players down, and his seemingly endless energy he will always get a starting place in my team! He just needs to keep things simple and the form of last season will come back lm sure

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011

Are you saying he doesn't have any defensive duties to perform?

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
I watch both. I would argue that a football purist is someone that enjoys all elements of the game, as they each have their own skill. Apparently his teammates feel the same, given the bollocking he has now received in two games. Each to their own.

Gross today for example, his movement at times was amazing, is there any less skill in that? Pure genius and I would argue the most technical ability and awareness in the squad, other than Bruno of course........

Edit - I'm not disagreeing that Knockaert has amazing skill and flair, just that football is about more than that. As someone else has pointed out, I think he'll settle down once he scores.....

I guess you just have a far better reading of the game than me. I'm usually just following the pattern of the game. For instance, if we are under pressure, I'm not really watching what our attacking players should be doing, I'll obviously observe what our defensive players are doing.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Ryan 7

Bruno 7
Suttner 7
Dunk 7
Duffy 7

Knockaert 6
March 7
Propper 7
Stephens 6

Gross 6

Hemed 8

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
Are you saying he doesn't have any defensive duties to perform?

Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying.

Also, does anyone think Dunk's attacking play is seriously letting the team down?
He was once our seasons top scorer. Isn't anyone concerned how he's not putting in the effort when it comes to attacking anymore?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here