Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Team for West Brom?

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton
I wonder if he might play Izqueirdo up with Hemed in a 4-4-2. Last game we had plenty of chances but struggled to convert them so its clear we need something extra up top which Izqueirdo could provide, he has pace and obviously an eye for goal based on his scoring record in Belgium.

durrington gull

Aug 29, 2004
Worthing
I wonder if he might play Izqueirdo up with Hemed in a 4-4-2. Last game we had plenty of chances but struggled to convert them so its clear we need something extra up top which Izqueirdo could provide, he has pace and obviously an eye for goal based on his scoring record in Belgium.

Will be surprised if we go 442 tbh

Mike Small

Dec 26, 2008
I really think the key for us now with the absence of any mobility in the striker position is Izquierdo/March and AK playing close to Murray/Hemed. I don't want to call them left and right wingers as such as I want them using all their energy, pace and skill in the final third. We also need them close to our striker for any knock downs etc otherwise we are just surrendering possession if forced to go long.

Also if Brown was fit I'd give him a go over Gross as it looks like he will offer more in this position. That said if AK, Izquierdo/March are further up the field this could bring the best out of Gross. I really think playing our wingers further forward in these type of fixtures are going to be key to taking the game to these teams. It might even surprise them to see such three attacking players.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Bin of hemed, get Izquierdo upfront and switch to 4-3-3 with Proper the most forward of the midfielders.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I really think the key for us now with the absence of any mobility in the striker position is Izquierdo/March and AK playing close to Murray/Hemed. I don't want to call them left and right wingers as such as I want them using all their energy, pace and skill in the final third. We also need them close to our striker for any knock downs etc otherwise we are just surrendering possession if forced to go long.

Also if Brown was fit I'd give him a go over Gross as it looks like he will offer more in this position. That said if AK, Izquierdo/March are further up the field this could bring the best out of Gross. I really think playing our wingers further forward in these type of fixtures are going to be key to taking the game to these teams. It might even surprise them to see such three attacking players.

I agree with what you're saying 'offensively', but defensively, CH will want the wide players to put in their shift and conform to a defensive shape, which problematises your proposal. It's difficult to see a way around our predicament beyond to note that we will have to adapt, and play different styles against different opponents and according to how the game pans out. One option would be to go for a 4-6-0 style formation (which is not too far off the false nine proposal), but with the wide players (probably Izquederio and Knockaert) as our most advanced and foremost (counter-)attacking options, and the other attacking players (probably Gross and March) filling in to provide that defensive shape). Such an approach will also bring the best out of Gross, especially hitting long diagonal balls -- Dunk, Stephens and Propper are all capable of playing similar balls; it will also set somewhat of a challenge for how opponents set themselves up defensively against us, particularly when they've got the ball in our half.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Why? We played 4-4-2 most of last year and Burnley have been very successful playing that formation in the Prem.

Because:
1 CH has said that we'll be playing 4-4-1-1 as our default formation
2 we've currently only got one forward that's fit
3 several other reasons, but the first is the most important

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Thought Solly started well against Leicester but after about 20-25 mins thought he was anonymous (like the majority of the others). Bruno, sure, Watford aside when he was playing injured, has played well so far.
I think problem with Solly is that he has been playing too deep.

Munchkin

Jul 12, 2005
Littlehampton
-------------------------- Ryan ------------------------
Bruno --------- Dunk ------- Duffy ------- Suttner
--------------- Stephens ----- Propper ------------
-------------------------- Gross -----------------------
Knockeart ---------- Izquerdo ------------- March

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK

Reckon that looks like it with Propper and Gross asked to do a double attacking and defensive shift...

TNBA

TTF

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Regardless of the line-up, although it's clearly all connected, there seems little point being reserved in our approach in home games against non-top 6/7 clubs.

We need to convert as many into three points as we can to have any kind of chance of worrying about Premier League quality strikers next Summer.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton

This. After the disppointment of not signing a striker that is actually a really exciting looking side. Lots of pace and technical ability.

I really hope he starts with this line up but expect Hemed will start with March or Ezquierdo left on the bench unfortunately.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Swap Gross and Propper round - Propper in the more attacking role. We'll have Hemed up front anyway, so presumably one of Knocky, Izquierdo or March will get the old heave ho. And don't forget, just at the end of the window, just before it SLAMMED shut, we signed Bruno's replacement (unthinkable though that may be).

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
After his performance for Holland tonight Propper surely has to start in the no.10 role. Either move Gross into a deeper position or play Sidwell instead

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

afcb

Dec 14, 2007
Went up there a few weeks back for our game. It was the same as the year before...identical.

They play like they are away from home every week. Usual Pulis stuff of sitting deep, counter attacking and of course..set pieces. He doesn't change his system.

We ended up playing sideways as we simply couldn't break them down, they covered the channels like no tomorrow....pretty grim to be fair but effective.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Went up there a few weeks back for our game. It was the same as the year before...identical.

They play like they are away from home every week. Usual Pulis stuff of sitting deep, counter attacking and of course..set pieces. He doesn't change his system.

We ended up playing sideways as we simply couldn't break them down, they covered the channels like no tomorrow....pretty grim to be fair but effective.

Yup, they've got a clear identity and are very good at what they do, and the same could be said about your lot. Unlike you, it looks as though we're going to tweak the way we play from last season, with a greater emphasis on solidity and rapid counter-attacks; it'll be interesting to see the extent to which this happens, or whether we play a more expansive game against teams in the bottom half.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patreon
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Regardless of the line-up, although it's clearly all connected, there seems little point being reserved in our approach in home games against non-top 6/7 clubs.

We need to convert as many into three points as we can to have any kind of chance of worrying about Premier League quality strikers next Summer.

Which is exactly why CH should go for my innovative and revolutionary 4-1-4-1 system.

Ryan

Schelotto
Duffy
Dunk
Rosenior

Stephens

Knockaert
Propper
Groß
Izquierdo

Hemed

This system places plenty of pace on the flanks and is designed to press high up the pitch. Stephens plays a DM at the tip of a solid triangle rooted by the Dunk/Duffy wall.

Propper and Groß have a lot more freedom to get in the box and find the likes of Knocky, Jose & Hemed with their expansive and defender busting passes. Liam & Adonis have the pace and engines Suttner & Bruno lack and will be encouraged to push forward as much as possible to ensure our wingers have support and are free to make dangerous runs into the box.

2-0 Albion

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I'd always play Sidwell and Stephens in front of the back four as steel and protection for the defence. Most PL clubs play that way, to also win the CM battle.

Allowing the front 4 more of free reign to attack, interchange, etc.

ac gull

Jul 7, 2003
midlands
4-4-2 for me

Sidwell in for Gross - move DP to number 10 role
£13.5 man in for March to play on left, AK on right
March as an impact sub for 20 to 30 minutes
Possibly Rosenoir to start game at RB too
Krul in for Ryan

No point having a squad if don't use it

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions