Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Arsenal away 1st October - ticket availability

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London
I saw Watford doing something similar:

NO CHANCE OF GETTING AN AWAY TICKET? THINK AGAIN. WE WANT TO HELP...

CLEARLY, adding to an existing profile will be easier for those already in Groups A & B above, since they are the fans likely to have most access to away match tickets.

However the club is keen that all fans feel they have at least a chance of taking in an away game or two during the season.

So, influenced by some of the 'Supporters Say' survey research, the Hornets will reserve the right to keep back 10 per cent of an away ticket allocation (where practical) for sale to those who fall outside of the groups specifically listed above.

This includes initiatives such as tickets being made available, by way of example, to:
- a specific cross-section of season ticket holders (in Group C)
- Junior Hornets members and a parent / parents
- remote or exiled supporters who hold a valid Fan Card

More details >>> https://www.watfordfc.com/sites/default/files/2016-08/Away Match Buying Policy 2016-2017.pdf

Seems fair. I'm only 'loyal' going back last season, before that I've been living over seas so have slim to no chance of getting away tickets on the current system.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Seems fair. I'm only 'loyal' going back last season, before that I've been living over seas so have slim to no chance of getting away tickets on the current system.

Well I think you do stand a decent chance just not for the "high profile" games just yet.

Get to the games that many others can't be bothered with, accruing 15 points each time, and you'll increase your chances when the "big" games come round again.

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005
What I find amazing is that those moaning the system isn't fair are only moaning this season....How long have we had a loyalty system in place?

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
My main issue with the current system is that it becomes a bit of a closed shop, with some fans never in a position to gather enough points to compete for tickets..

It's not though. Someone who has been a STH at the Amex for 6 years but has never bought an away or cup ticket before starts the season on 180 points. If you'd done Leicester, Barnet and Watford (all went on general sale) then you'd be on 215 points right now, just 6 points below the 2nd tier threshold for the Arsenal game. You'd certainly have missed that but do a few more away games and you'll easily be in the 2nd tier for Liverpool, Man U, Chelsea, Spurs.

If you'd been to just one or two away games or cup matches in previous years and done those 3 games mentioned then you'd be well into the 2nd tier for the Arsenal game. I'm struggling to see how the club can make this any fairer except for holding, say, 150 back and operating an away fan season ticket system for long distance fans.

theboybilly

Just so frustrating for those of us hoping to do as many away games as possible. Already missed out on Bournemouth away and now Arsenal. Assume its going to be a similar story for WHU/Chelsea/Palace away, with a massive rush for tickets, from those who only want to do the relatively close ones.

But surely 'those who only want to do the relatively close ones' must have done the hard yards in the past to accumulate enough points?

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London
Well I think you do stand a decent chance just not for the "high profile" games just yet.

Get to the games that many others can't be bothered with, accruing 15 points each time, and you'll increase your chances when the "big" games come round again.

Hopefully but only on 80 points now with last seasons season ticket and a couple away games. Obviously sorted for home games as I renewed my season ticket. Like many, I'd like to do the London away games.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
It's not though. Someone who has been a STH at the Amex for 6 years but has never bought an away or cup ticket before starts the season on 180 points. If you'd done Leicester, Barnet and Watford (all went on general sale) then you'd be on 215 points right now, just 6 points below the 2nd tier threshold for the Arsenal game. You'd certainly have missed that but do a few more away games and you'll easily be in the 2nd tier for Liverpool, Man U, Chelsea, Spurs.

If you'd been to just one or two away games or cup matches in previous years and done those 3 games mentioned then you'd be well into the 2nd tier for the Arsenal game. I'm struggling to see how the club can make this any fairer except for holding, say, 150 back and operating an away fan season ticket system for long distance fans.
But even in your example, it requires SIX years of season ticket holder status! We have plenty of fans who haven't done that and are thus locked out.

I'm quite impressed with the points system and can see the fairness of it all, it's just that it marginalises those who are fans and just want a slim chance of getting to a local(ish) away game. I think Bozza's example (as put in place at Watford) addresses this issue.

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005
Hopefully but only on 80 points now with last seasons season ticket and a couple away games. Obviously sorted for home games as I renewed my season ticket. Like many, I'd like to do the London away games.

I admire your LOYALTY...GIve him 1000 points!

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
But even in your example, it requires SIX years of season ticket holder status! We have plenty of fans who haven't done that and are thus locked out.

I'm quite impressed with the points system and can see the fairness of it all, it's just that it marginalises those who are fans and just want a slim chance of getting to a local(ish) away game. I think Bozza's example (as put in place at Watford) addresses this issue.

Yes...but they are locked out by other more loyal fans i.e. ones who have been consistently STHs. That's the definition of loyalty! Those fans locked out now will be able to get the same opportunity to buy tickets in a couple of seasons but they need to build up loyalty first. It seems ridiculous that, for example, someone who bought a ST just 2 years ago would expect to be treated exactly the same way as someone who has been there for 6 years.

Why should the opportunity to buy tickets be excluded from those with say 4 or 5 years loyalty points who might otherwise have purchased those tickets you're proposing to stick in a lottery? Is it fairer to stick these people's names in a hat along with someone who went once last season and quite fancies seeing Arsenal away this season?

Fans who feel marginalised because they can't get to Arsenal or Chelsea due to long-time season ticket holders who have previously been to away games, need a dose of reality. If we're in the PL next year then there will be a lot more opportunity and these marginalised fans would have had a chance to build up a few points but who should the tickets go to for this season if not those fans who have actually been to games?

Last edited:

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
To be honest if you're trying to get "up the ladder" from a low-ish position this year then you are going to find it hard going - but then the club are rewarding the people who've climbed it earlier. However next year, you will be fine. We will either have stayed up, and a lot of people will be way less fussed about going to all these grounds for a second time, or we will go down, in which case we will rarely sell out an away game at all and you can take your pick.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Yes...but they are locked out by other more loyal fans i.e. ones who have been consistently STHs. That's the definition of loyalty! Those fans locked out now will be able to get the same opportunity to buy tickets in a couple of seasons but they need to build up loyalty first. It seems ridiculous that, for example, someone who bought a ST just 2 years ago would expect to be treated exactly the same way as someone who has been there for 6 years.

Why should the opportunity to buy tickets be excluded from those with say 4 or 5 years loyalty points who might otherwise have purchased those tickets you're proposing to stick in a lottery? Is it fairer to stick these people's names in a hat along with someone who went once last season and quite fancies seeing Arsenal away this season?

No, it isn't - not at all. But you started off by arguing against my point that it has become a closed shop yet have come full circle with the argument that it is unfair that someone who was a STH for 2 years to be in front of someone who has been a STH for 6 years. The fact that you're even suggesting a STH for 2 years is a queue jumper highlights my issue.

We have plenty of fans who have followed the club for decades - and we are all fans. By all means ensure the most loyal fans receive the bulk of the available away tickets, but is there really anything fundamentally wrong with holding back a nominal 10% for a ballot? The risk is that those fans will just drift away and lose interest.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Are there any loyalty points awarded for the Carabao Cup game away to Bournemouth ?

virtual22

Nov 30, 2010

Totally agree. Those sitting in the pissing rain in a midweek game under Sami Hyppia in a half empty stand watching horrendous football should get their reward. Likewise IF we do go down again next season those who don't have enough points this year will get to show their loyalty on those long away nights up north in the middle of winter and earn more than enough points to get the glamour ties when we go back up again. Will they though? Or will they still just keep moaning it's unfair?

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
All or sold out away games have had a handful of tickets pop up, you need to keep an eye on twitter for when they are released, so you have a chance. I believe you can only buy in the bracket that sold out in so that was 235 plus, but I don't know this as a fact, only on what other people have quoted.

Whats the best Twitter account to give late ticket releases? Thanks

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
No, it isn't - not at all. But you started off by arguing against my point that it has become a closed shop yet have come full circle with the argument that it is unfair that someone who was a STH for 2 years to be in front of someone who has been a STH for 6 years. The fact that you're even suggesting a STH for 2 years is a queue jumper highlights my issue.

We have plenty of fans who have followed the club for decades - and we are all fans. By all means ensure the most loyal fans receive the bulk of the available away tickets, but is there really anything fundamentally wrong with holding back a nominal 10% for a ballot? The risk is that those fans will just drift away and lose interest.

Sorry but you're talking bollocks. You are saying that some tickets need to be held back for a lottery system for those without enough points. Firstly, this penalises those who are steadily building up loyalty points who might otherwise have bought them. Secondly, if there is a lottery then there will inevitably be people lucky enough to get a ticket despite not having half as many points as others who didn't win. That is de facto queue-jumping. Thirdly and most importantly, the idea that we should factor in loyalty for long-time fans who don't go to many games is just silly. It's ridiculous and if you do factor this in then inevitably there will be more loyal fans i.e. those who put money into the club by going to home games or support us away will miss out.

It's impossible to have a lottery system without penalising some more loyal fans.

My point was that it's unfair that 2 year STH goes ahead of a 6 year STH and it's equally unfair that someone who hardly goes to games should go ahead of a 2 year STH.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Just so frustrating for those of us hoping to do as many away games as possible. Already missed out on Bournemouth away and now Arsenal. Assume its going to be a similar story for WHU/Chelsea/Palace away, with a massive rush for tickets, from those who only want to do the relatively close ones.

I'm sure it is frustrating but the system in place ensures STH's who "did any many away games in the previous 5 seasons before EPL football" get first chance

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Sorry but you're talking bollocks. You are saying that some tickets need to be held back for a lottery system for those without enough points. Firstly, this penalises those who are steadily building up loyalty points who might otherwise have bought them. Secondly, if there is a lottery then there will inevitably be people lucky enough to get a ticket despite not having half as many points as others who didn't win. That is de facto queue-jumping. Thirdly and most importantly, the idea that we should factor in loyalty for long-time fans who don't go to many games is just silly. It's ridiculous and if you do factor this in then inevitably there will be more loyal fans i.e. those who put money into the club by going to home games or support us away will miss out.

It's impossible to have a lottery system without penalising some more loyal fans.
I'm not talking bollocks, I'm not advocating anything other than a tiny percentage of tickets be held back for a ballot, thus giving anyone a punchers chance of seeing their club at one of the big boys. There's a lot of nonsense being talked about loyalty on here - I'd suggest the very last reason a STH buys a ST is because he or she is thinking "in 6 year's time, this will almost guarantee I can watch us play at The Emirates".

The other thing with a ballot is that it gives you a chance to go with people you otherwise couldn't go with. In recent weeks, you've lamented the fact that one or two of your sons couldn't go with you because of a lack of points, but with a ballot in place you could apply for 3 tickets. Or you could even buy your one tickets, go into the ballot for the other two, and sell your original one back if you didn't get lucky.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
The idea that fans might drift away if they don't get the opportunity to go to see Arsenal or Chelsea away this season is equally absurd. They had plenty of opportunity to do Birmingham or Burton away last season or see us play Barnet last week. The scheme actually encourages people to stick around because that's the way to get away tickets.

Do we really want a system that accommodates fans who might have been for only a couple of seasons, hardly ever did an away game and who might drift away if they can't get to see the one away game this season that they were going to go to?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here