Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

(Good Old) Sussex By The Sea

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
It never ceases to amaze me the completely different view you get of the same event, from the same stadium.

Dunk's sumptuous pass must have looked outstanding from up there.
Verses my "Oh Gross isn't happy about not taking this free kick".

I wouldn't swap for anything, but really must try and make a second trip to the 'gods' up in the West Stand.

Oh yes, dunks pass looked incredible from up there. I was in the WSU southernmost block, and you could see it slice straight through their centre backs, it was amazing.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Oh yes, dunks pass looked incredible from up there. I was in the WSU southernmost block, and you could see it slice straight through their centre backs, it was amazing.

I'm ok when he does such things attacking the South Stand.
More often than not the trajectory is my sight line as if I'd fired the ball from a (big) gun.
But coming the other way the majesty is all but lost.
As is Bridcutt/Stephens battling with short space providing passes.

That said having Buckley/Knockaert second half rampages all but touching distance away, more than makes up for missing some overview.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Before we entered the new stadium, when was the last time you heard the original.

It was adapted to suit the football we were watching.

EVERYONE in those days and years after sung the adapted song.

Now all of a sudden, the new era has arrived and another piece of the Albion identity that has sat with fans for over 50 years has been wiped away.

I fully understand the meaning of the actual original, but the original words have no bearing on a football match, going up and winning the cup do.

We wont stand or fall because we are watching football not being involved in war where we could stand or fall.

The original was for war, the adapted version was for our football team.

Why on earth did it ever need to be changed.

My point is, even if you prefer the other version. The song we run out to is the original with stand or fall for all the fans to sing together so why stand there and sing the wrong words?

The Gem

Oct 17, 2008
My point is, even if you prefer the other version. The song we run out to is the original with stand or fall for all the fans to sing together so why stand there and sing the wrong words?

I'm not alone and because that's life.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Just seems a bit stubborn don't you think? Thankfully the majority of the stadium is now singing stand or fall and it sounds fantastic.

Ironically, a few hardy souls insisting on their version is probably in keeping with the whole Stand or Fall/we won't be druv/Sussex mentality though. That aside, what was most impressive on Saturday was the whole stadium singing together rather than several different songs at once as we have had the last few seasons.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I sing "going up" because it's the football chant version and I've been singing that and only that at Brighton matches for years.

Sent from my F3111 using Tapatalk

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
It's about context. I know a few different versions to a couple of hymns and have sung them regularly throughout the years. However, if I were ever in church I'd sing the proper words. The same goes for anthems. The we come onto the pitch it's the anthem that is played, not a football chant. Once we've kicked off, sing what you want, even if it makes no sense.

Sent from my FP2 using Tapatalk

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Definatley think the music should be turned down so the singing can be heard clearer all the way through, everyone knows the words now dont they.... ?... remove them from the screen i say

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Definatley think the music should be turned down so the singing can be heard clearer all the way through, everyone knows the words now dont they.... ?... remove them from the screen i say

The trouble is, most people struggle with holding the tune until the chorus - me included. And it's not usually until the chorus that everyone joins in.

The Gem

Oct 17, 2008
Just seems a bit stubborn don't you think? Thankfully the majority of the stadium is now singing stand or fall and it sounds fantastic.

It's not being stubborn at all.

What it is though in the new breed of Brighton supporter taking over from the old guard.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
I sing "going up" because it's the football chant version and I've been singing that and only that at Brighton matches for years.

Sent from my F3111 using Tapatalk

I used to do the same, but have to admit that, in my younger days, I did not know the original last line. Once you know it, it is hard to avoid because its more emotive and more poetic. I compromise now and do the military version at the start and the terrace version at the beginning of the second half. I was also a stubborn 'der der der'er because that's what I knew. However, I sang the words on Saturday and must say that it sounds brilliant in that video and we should all make an effort to continue it every game.

Now can we get rid of that awful remix of 'Ring of Fire' and get Johnny Cash back?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here