Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
you pose the question before hand............ the kids are told.......Nougat means this shop (leave) and Caramel means this shop (remain) ............you have a vote,the kids decide 52% in favor of Nougat.

Yes but the Caramel lovers are insisting on having a say in the ingredients of Nougat which funnily enough ends up tasting remarkably similar to caramel :rolleyes:

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
If instead they try to thwart Brexit then I believe they will diminish their role in the eyes of the electorate.

But which electorate are we talking about, the 17 million who said leave or the 16 million who wanted to remain?

Brexit will happen but what Parliament will be doing is deciding what is best for the UK as a whole taking into the account not only the electorate who voted but the 12 million who did not and possibly the 18 million who could not. That is how a parliamentary system should work. The future direction of this country needs to take account of what is good for the entire country not just the 17 million who won.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Only MP's with a constituency that voted remain have any business voting against Brexit, but they do have a duty to represent all their constituents and that includes those who wished to remain.
The only problem for the fervent leaver is that Parliament may insist that we get another referendum on whether to accept the terms negotiated and leave, or refuse the deal and remain.
Of course, after the advice I received after the last referendum, I am sure they will happily accept a remain decision on a slim majority as the democratic will of the people, and quickly get over it, move on, accept it etc.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
The problem being that parliament is made up of 650 people. Now what seems more democratic - the wishes of 17m+ people or the wishes of 650 people ? Parliament is there to enact the wishes of the people not the wishes of the MPs. Even as a leaver I don't have an issue with parliament having the power to trigger A50 BUT it absolutely MUST follow the will of the people. That will said leave.

Let's also remember that some MPs are hoping for lucrative roles within the EU once their time here is up - I present the Kinnocks to you.

Good post.
There are a lot of those MP's that will be disappointed because of the money, and with 80% of the MP's in favour of Remain they are making it hard to follow the will and the vote of the people. Out of touch before the result and out of touch after i think.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
As for having the Euro as our currency, thankfully that was avoided years ago,
So we do not know if "the answer to that question is no", really.

But (in a moment of throwing my toys out of the pram) IF we Remain,then i personally at the cost of some Leavers (sorry) and at the cost of many Remain no doubt,we should be forced to enter the EURO,scrap the pound is what i say if the EU is so wonderful.

Also i want 500000 new people to enter the UK every year for the next 10 years as a commitment to humanity,build everywhere,spend like there is no tomorrow and say to hell with it.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Yes but the Caramel lovers are insisting on having a say in the ingredients of Nougat which funnily enough ends up tasting remarkably similar to caramel :rolleyes:

Brilliant...

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
But (in a moment of throwing my toys out of the pram) IF we Remain,then i personally at the cost of some Leavers (sorry) and at the cost of many Remain no doubt,we should be forced to enter the EURO,scrap the pound is what i say if the EU is so wonderful.

Also i want 500000 new people to enter the UK every year for the next 10 years as a commitment to humanity,build everywhere,spend like there is no tomorrow and say to hell with it.

You've lobbed the toys pretty far from the pram there.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
We have [MENTION=5208]drew[/MENTION] to thank :bowdown: for the new nick names *leavers are HARD NOUGAT and *remain are SOFT CARAMEL

i am a HARD NOUGAT :lolol:

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
double post

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting

Bring it on, bring it on now, free nougat and caramel for all as well.......get the cheese and chilli finger buffets going, let's make it a national holiday.... i suggest a chilli night on Burns day.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
You must accept that there are those who voted for nougat who prefer a soft centre as a hard endangers their teeth?

It's British made Nougat,ingredients sourced from the finest suppliers world wide,it actually strengthens teeth the more it's eaten.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I don't think for a minute that Parliament will use this to over-rule the result of the referendum. The only scenario in which this might happen is if the government fails to present a credible plan for it which puts the onus on the government to do their job properly in preparing such a plan; I can't see how that is a bad thing.

What worries me most about the response to this ruling is the ease with which the press and certain politicians can present Parliament as an enemy of democracy rather than the heart of it. As a Labour Party member I also was alarmed by the way that Momentum have presented Labour MPs in the same way. If you continually undermine the role of Parliamentary Democracy you must be aware that you are opening the way up to something different.

Yes, I agree with every word of that.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
[/B]

I hope that you are right, but it is wise never to underestimate a politician's vanity. Afterall, they can always dress it up by saying that the deal is just not right, and my conscience would not allow me to ... etc

And therein lies the risk of course. However I still have faith in the majority of politicians to recognize that they have been elected on a broader platform than merely cheerleading for the EU. Most of them on all sides have bigger issues for which to advocate.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
But which electorate are we talking about, the 17 million who said leave or the 16 million who wanted to remain?

Brexit will happen but what Parliament will be doing is deciding what is best for the UK as a whole taking into the account not only the electorate who voted but the 12 million who did not and possibly the 18 million who could not. That is how a parliamentary system should work. The future direction of this country needs to take account of what is good for the entire country not just the 17 million who won.

I agree. A democracy can never have a binary outcome, it has to deliver a compromise that is inclusive. Ultimately of course electoral arithmetic will have an influence for those MPs that wish to keep their jobs on both sides of the debate. For this reason it may be much more difficult for Labour MPs in the north to undermine the result than those in the south.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
And therein lies the risk of course. However I still have faith in the majority of politicians to recognize that they have been elected on a broader platform than merely cheerleading for the EU. Most of them on all sides have bigger issues for which to advocate.
Thanks. Yes, on balance, I do tend to agree, if only because some would not dare. Time will tell.

I just wish these high Court judges would have come out and ordered the electoral commission to inform, on the ballot paper,that this referendum was only advisory and that the final decision would be made by elected representatives.

I voted to leave the EU and knew that would mean saying goodbye to all the rules that came with membership.

I did not think we would win but we did and now feel let down that the politicians who voted overwhelmingly to allow this referendum did not have the courage to challenge this themselves other than on the BBC sofa.

They allowed a group of hedgefund managers and financial and legal boffins along with a couple of hairdressers who regretted their original vote, to derail and try to make some extra currency trading profit for their city chums.

The house has damaged itself far worse than when they claimed a few to many jolly perks on the taxpayer.

This whole episode has harmed us all and will lead to a real nasty piece of work appearing very soon to climb the political ladder, and I don't mean a pantomime dame like Farage. It will be much worse.

The end!

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here