Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Attracting players

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
How much more? And was that the total package or basic? All things being equal then it might have a bearing. But it's rarely if ever 'equal', someone always makes it more worthwhile in some way such as offering 'free' accommodation, school fees etc.

It was reported at the time, Liverpool were throwing everything at him because he would be a direct Suarez replacement, Arsenal still had a (relatively) modest wage structure.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
How hard is it really going to be to convince
Players to come to Brighton now we are in the Premier league.
Is there a better city in the country to live than Brighton to be a footballer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why do your posts always look
like haikus?

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Money talks. It's got feck all to do with location.

Unfortunately it's hard to disagree with what you say. As we are constantly being told, professional footballers have a short career, and the poor boys have to make as much money from it as they possibly can.

What may be true, is that Brighton, and certainly Sussex as a whole, is a fine place to live after players have retired. Plenty of cases around of former Albion players coming back to live her, after their careers have come to an end.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
We have some advantages -

• Close to London
• Close to an international airport
• By the sea
• Great city for culture and vibrancy
• Excellent stadium
• Excellent training facilities

Disadvantages
• Expensive. Not London expensive, but expensive nonetheless (put it this way, you get more bang for your buck in, say, the West Midlands or Lancashire)
• Not considered to be in the hunt for trophies
• Considered to be relegation fodder
• Not the top payers

Intangibles
• Decent prospects and amibitions
• Excellent manager to work for

SAC

May 21, 2014
Location of a club will be quite far down the list of priorities when a player joins. Wages and being in the first team are much more of a draw.

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
Money talks. It's got feck all to do with location.

This sadly is 100% correct .

I give you the case of George Boyd , life long palace fan agrees a deal with palace to join and play for the team he supports all is but signed and sealed , along come Hull city offer a few pennies more and mr Boyd with pen in hand signs for hull.

Now I know you'll all be saying " is he a real fan" I have seen him at Selhurst many times and stood next to him at last years cup final, so yes when his not playing for Hull he is watching palace.

Players like us workers go where the money is it is a Simon as that and TBH I don't blame them as I would do the same in my job.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
It was reported at the time, Liverpool were throwing everything at him because he would be a direct Suarez replacement, Arsenal still had a (relatively) modest wage structure.

Obviously they weren't, without details it's hard to say. Perhaps Sanchez was the 1 that bucks the trend but I'm sure a financial incentive pulled him to London more than anything else. My premise is that Arsenal probably said and we'll pay for flights home and it tipped the balance. These are world class money grabbing *******s, or at least their agents acting on their behalf are. They know how to squeeze another pint of juice out of a sun-dried lemon!

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
We have some advantages -

• Close to London
• Close to an international airport
• By the sea
• Great city for culture and vibrancy
• Excellent stadium
• Excellent training facilities

Disadvantages
• Expensive. Not London expensive, but expensive nonetheless (put it this way, you get more bang for your buck in, say, the West Midlands or Lancashire)
• Not considered to be in the hunt for trophies
• Considered to be relegation fodder
• Not the top payers

Intangibles
• Decent prospects and amibitions
• Excellent manager to work for

Yes but a Playstation 4 is ubiquitous and sadly trumps all of the above after money. Your list reads like being 8th, 9th or 10th in line for the throne i.e. utterly irrelevant when King Money and Prince Cash are way ahead of you in the queue.

Might make 'AOB' on the Agent-Club meeting minutes :)

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Money would be the main factor at our level.

When it comes to the best players, an added factor is "can I win trophies" when choosing between two clubs.

Other than the north west and London, it is often said not that places such as the north east can't attract certain players. But not all players want the congestion, shops, buzz and nightclubs of London.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
In the Standard tonight Jermaine Defoe says he wants 100k a week and a 6m signing on fee from any suitors for next season . He's 34.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Do you not think there will be more concerned about length of contract, money, and winning trophy's?
I think too much is made about how great Brighton is a place to live, i was born here and lived here all my life.
But rarely venture into Brighton for any form of entertainment except Football and the odd gig.
Most of my entertainment comes from going to London for an evening.
Not really sure what the appeal of Brighton if i'm honest.
But having been here all my life guess that's the reason i cant see it.
But it certain wont make footballers sit up and think " Brighton want me, yes ! what a great place to live" as there first thought.

Have to agree. A lot of us obviously see Brighton through rose-tinted specs, but it is a small place, with limited shops, run down in many ways and it just doesn't have the 'fantastic appeal' that so many seem to think. Imho anyway.

People that say this seem to be people that have always been in Brighton. For those of us that have moved away you appreciate it a lot more when you go back and believe me you miss it. Brighton is a lot better than living in Madrid for example, that is not rose tinted either.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
This sadly is 100% correct .

I give you the case of George Boyd , life long palace fan agrees a deal with palace to join and play for the team he supports all is but signed and sealed , along come Hull city offer a few pennies more and mr Boyd with pen in hand signs for hull.

Now I know you'll all be saying " is he a real fan" I have seen him at Selhurst many times and stood next to him at last years cup final, so yes when his not playing for Hull he is watching palace.

Players like us workers go where the money is it is a Simon as that and TBH I don't blame them as I would do the same in my job.

Hah, we are the kings of players driving down here to sign and getting phone calls to head somewhere else for more money :smile:

I actually thought Boyd failed a medical with Palace on his eyesight. Was that somebody else, or did I just make it up

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
In the Standard tonight Jermaine Defoe says he wants 100k a week and a 6m signing on fee from any suitors for next season . He's 34.

Eddie doesn't have to worry about how much cash he splashes he is backed by an Ogliarch who doesn't appear to care how much is spent.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here