Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

NSC Easter Bunny CD 2015

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Still waiting my review.
If I hear nothing I'll post a youtube playlist on Monday. Or Tuesday.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
I haven't confirmed or denied yet. What you have to do is to post the tracklisting then [MENTION=12196]tinycowboy[/MENTION] has to give his opinion and then I'll say if it was me or not.

He'll get upset if you don't let him have a guess.

Thank you Staly for your warm sentiments and for standing up for my basic human rights - for a moment I thought I was being snubbed in the most outrageous fashion. I'd certainly want to assess whether the tracklisting displayed Staly-esque features, including the artwork. I've already taken a punt on your work early on in the thread - a disastrous attempt to see the most unlikely connections, so I will need to tread carefully.

Gordon Bennett

Sep 7, 2010
I’m going for Tiny,
A) because I have no real way of knowing,
B) was on my short list for whatever reason,
C) I can’t stand being responsible for the tears, albeit indirectly….Thank You hans kraay fan club!!

Thank You whoever it was, and yes nice handwriting.

I thought it was about time I put you out of your misery!

Glad you liked the CD (and the handwriting!) I’m afraid I haven’t been stalking you and the tracks were simply a collection of some of my favourites so it was purely luck that it seemed to hit the right note with you. (Pun intended)

I suspect that I may have over-thought the tracks/listing. Having decided that I wanted to start with ‘Ghost Town’ and end up with ‘Hands Up For Brighton’ I thought the overall sound of the CD needed to gradually move from darker to lighter sounding tracks and if you are starting in a Ghost Town (for example, somewhere near Croydon) and ending up in Brighton then that provided a handy (hidden) narrative in choosing the track listing. Which is why after some initial tracks/artists that include ‘toxic’, ‘dirtbombs’ and ‘rags’, at the half way point there is a track called ‘Photosynthesis’ which provides a more uplifting feel and is followed by ‘The Other Side of This Life’ and then ‘Mr E’s Beautiful Blues’ and eventually finishing with ‘Beauty in the World’ and ‘Hands Up For Brighton’!! Ok, so it was a bit pretentious and some of the links were a bit tenuous but it helped me choose the tracks.

I though the secret Santa on the front cover was obvious but maybe a larger version will help?

Secret Santa.JPG

SouthCoastOwl

May 23, 2013
Vaux Sur Seine
Just returned home to Paris after the Christmas hols and my CD was waiting for me.:thumbsup:

Highly intrigued, track listing appears to be in morse code. Looking forward to an evening of listening and deciphering. Review to follow.

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
Latest update

Still a little short of reviews

Received, reviewed (Correctly guessed sender)
[MENTION=3566]hans kraay fan club[/MENTION] (Theatre of Trees)
[MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION] (deletebeepbeepbeep)
[MENTION=13836]deletebeepbeepbeep[/MENTION] (Hans Kraay Fan Club)
[MENTION=2351]m20gull[/MENTION] (Guinness Boy)
[MENTION=15464]DavePage[/MENTION] (Gordon Bennett)
[MENTION=14921]spring hall convert[/MENTION] (m20gull)

Received, reviewed, not yet guessed
[MENTION=19671]CorgiRegisteredFriend[/MENTION]
[MENTION=13947]happypig[/MENTION]

Received but yet to review
[MENTION=21578]Worthingite[/MENTION]
[MENTION=19864]Flex Your Head[/MENTION]
[MENTION=468]somerset[/MENTION]
[MENTION=260]sully[/MENTION]
[MENTION=21502]Razzoo[/MENTION]
[MENTION=17286]Gordon Bennett[/MENTION]
[MENTION=1131]Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo[/MENTION]
[MENTION=27736]SouthCoastOwl[/MENTION]

Status unknown - yet to receive
[MENTION=26695]Mowgli37[/MENTION] **
[MENTION=12196]tinycowboy[/MENTION] *
[MENTION=2040]Staly[/MENTION] **
[MENTION=15311]The Buttery Biscuit Base[/MENTION] *

* I've had confirmation that the CD is in the post.
** CD delayed until after New Year due to unforeseen circumstances.

Yet to hear from one person.

I'll delay revealing who has who for a few weeks.

Also when reviewing give an indication of your favourite or most liked track for inclusion of a best of I'm going to put up on mix cloud once everything is done and dusted.

SouthCoastOwl

May 23, 2013
Vaux Sur Seine
Review time

Well that was fun. Thank you very much to my secret DJ, loved the disc.

As I mentioned in a previous post the sleeve notes were written in Morse code. So, rather than translate all the notes I thought I’d listen to the disc and if I knew any of the tracks I need not translate the sleeve notes. This also enabled me to actually listen to the music rather than pour over the Google Morse code translator while I should have been listening, hey I’m a bloke I can’t multi task!

So the headlines. Out of the 18 tracks on the disc I have 8 in my music collection and I recognised a further 8, of the 4 remaining tracks I’d heard of 2 of the artists but the other 2 were new to me. The disc featured 2 of my all-time favourite bands and a truly moving song which never fails to reduce me to a blubbering wreck every time I hear it (more of that later).

Less of a review, more just evoked memories:

1. Roll over Beethoven – ELO. Cracking start to the disc, great rock and roll cover of the Chuck Berry classic and a reminder to me that I ought to get ELO2 out and give it a spin.
2. Bloody – Golinski Brothers. This lot were new to me but their infectious brand of new wave needs further investigation.
3. Tokyo (vampires and wolves) – The Wombats. Loved it will be buying CDs
4. Give life back to music – Daft Punk. French electro pop with soulful vocals. Reminds me of driving my wife’s car during the summer of 2013, top down and stereo up.
5. If – Pink Floyd. Nice acoustic little number from The Floyd, brings back memories of listening to Atom Heart Mother in smoky bedrooms at uni.
6. Death or Glory – The Clash. Hated The Clash when they were around originally, at the time I was listening exclusively to prog/metal. Now I love them and deeply regret being so narrow minded as a youth!
7. Bohemian like you – The Dandy Warhols. Great track, pure pop music.
8. Something in the way she moves – The Beatles. I’m not a huge Beatles fan and this song has never really done much for me (however, see track 15).
9. Aqualung – Jethro Tull. One of my favourite bands of all time ever ever ever . What can I say it’s pure “post blues early Tull” and contains one of Martin Barre’s best guitar solos.
10. Starlight – Muse. This lot are just it. Big drums, big bass, big guitar and unique vocals.
11. Stuck in the middle – Stealers Wheel. Fantastic, haven’t listened to this in an age.
12. If there’s any justice – Lemar. Nice voice great song, I suspect that my wife has this album, perhaps I’ll rifle through her draws when I’m back home in Sussex next!
13. What I got – Sublime. Never heard of them but they’re now on my CD shopping list.
14. River man – Nick Drake. Beautiful just beautiful.
15. And your bird can sing – The Beatles. Heard the track loads of times previously and loved it without knowing it was The Beatles (listening to it now it seems obvious) maybe I should investigate this small Liverpudlian beat combo a bit more.
16. Waterloo sunset – The Kinks. Love this song pure 1960s brit pop. I even included a version on the compilation I made for this year’s secret Santa.
17. Brimful of asha – Cornershop. Top pop music, I’ve always had a soft spot for this song and am always up for a spot of drunken dad dancing when it gets played at weddings.
18. The ballad of Andy Jacobs – Kathryn Roberts and Sean Lakeman. What a way to finish a very fine compilation! In my humble opinion the best, and easily the most moving, song written to date about the miners’ strike. The song originates from the coal fields of South Yorkshire and tells the tale of one man’s experience as a striking miner and the effect the strike has on his life and family. I first heard it at Cropredy in 2013 and found it so powerful that I was crying by the end and I wasn’t the only grown man in the crowd wiping away tears! I don’t know whether my affinity with the area (I’m originally from South Yorkshire if you hadn’t guessed), having lived through the miners’ strike (albeit in Brighton) and having friends and family directly affected by the strike has anything to do with it but every time I hear this song it never fails to reduce me to tears. Thank you for including it in this compilation.

Pure guess work but I’ll say TinycowBoy is my Secret Santa.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Well, I’ve finally got round to completing my review of the CD I received. Apologies for taking so long. My father-in-law went into hospital on Boxing Day and was there until after New Year. Happily, he’s home and on the mend now.

My CD is called “TV Themes and Cover Versions” and has a picture of some fighting youths on the front cover.

2015-01-08 18.11.47.jpg

I just popped it in the CD player in the car and listened to it going to and from work leading up to Christmas before reading through the track listing to see who all the tracks were by, as I didn’t want to be influenced by any pre-conceived ideas about artists. I have to say that several of the tracks have grown on me and I’m glad I didn’t do a review after my first listen.

So, my thoughts on each of the songs are as follows:

1. Asteroid – Asteroid
The Pearl & Dean theme. Nothing to say, really.

2. Intro Featuring Close Encounters – Osymyso
A good lead-in to the CD. I’d originally thought it might be some sort of subliminal message about the identity of my Santa, but now I’m not so sure.

3. Sex Machine – The Flying Lizards (James Brown)
On first listen (before checking the track listing) I thought this sounded very similar to Money (That’s What I Want) and was thrilled to see that I’d correctly identified the artist. A very interesting and enjoyable cover.

4. Lost In Music – The Fall (Sister Sledge)
I love the original and have to say that this cover totally murders it. After several plays, I think it’s just the vocal treatment that I don’t like, though.

5. U. F. O. – The Wedding Present
Excellent, but way too short. I am left wanting more every time.

6. The Saint – Orbital
Another superb piece of music. I believe it’s from the film, rather than being the TV Theme….

7. Cars – Katzenjammer (Gary Numan)
This is a steel band rendition of the song, which works really well. I think it’s been recorded live, and would certainly benefit from a less muffled studio recording.

8. L. O. V. E. Love – Orange Juice (Al Green)
I don’t like Orange Juice’s voice, so find this a bit of hard work, to be honest. Overall an OK cover, though.

9. Vatican Broadside – Half Man Half Biscuit (Trad)
Another that you just want to have more to it. Superb, though a little tenuous on the “cover” definition, as I don’t think these are the traditional words, it just uses a traditional tune.

10. Surfin USA – Jesus and Mary Chain (Beach Boys)
A very good cover version up until the last 30 seconds, when it gets a bit shouty and unnecessary!

11. A Picture of Dorian Grey – The Futureheads (Television Personalities)
For some reason, I can’t really remember the original, so will probably look that up in the near future. This is a good version.

12. Part Time Punks – Jeffery Lewis (Television Personalities)
This isn’t too bad, but it rather spoilt by the backing singer, who sounds a bit like me trying to sing along to a song I don’t know. It takes half the line of mumbling before he remembers the line and sings the rest of it (badly) each time. This rather spoils the overall enjoyment of the song.

13. Go Wild In The Country – The Wedding Present (Bow Wow Wow)
Hmmmm. Complete opposite of the other Wedding Present track on here. I just wish they’d left it alone!

14. Born In The USA – Ballboy (Bruce Springsteen)
I don’t get Springsteen and now know that I also don’t like his songs sung by others. Awful.

15. I Had A Little Boat – Alasdair Roberts (Ivor Cutler)
I just find this depressing and boringly monotone.

16. Is This It? – Royal City (The Strokes)
Same as the last. No thanks.

17. Norwegian Wood – Cornershop (The Beatles)
The first song I learnt on the guitar and a big favourite. I’ve never been quite sure if I like Cornershop’s interpretation or not, but it’s certainly not a bad effort. I think the main problem is that the words don’t flow and seem like they’re a bit squeezed in (a Google search suggests the language it’s sung in is Punjabi).

18. Boys Don’t Cry – Victor Malloy (The Cure)
A great song and a superb cover version. A soft, haunting version that really brings the emotion of the lyrics out. Gets my vote for my favourite on the compilation.

19. Sister Ray – Joy Division (Velvet Underground)
Never been a fan of JD or VU, to be honest. I just find this a bit dull and over-long.

20. Tugboat – British Sea Power (Galaxie 500)
I was hoping that I’d get some British Sea Power on my CD, as I keep reading good things about them on NSC but have never got to the point of actually getting out there and listening to them. I quite like it, but not enough to want to go out and buy their music.

21. Sussex By The Sea – Seagulls Ska
I love this. One of just two tracks on this CD that I already have in my collection.

22. Silent Night – Low
A very pleasing and gentle rendition of a great song. Totally out of character with the rest of the music on the CD!

Overall, the collection is a bit hit and miss, but better than I’d thought on first listen. A few of the tracks are well worth the effort of a few listens, as I found that, depending on my mood, I could be surprised by something I’d not really liked before. Part Time Punks particularly falls into this category.

I’m not sure that the title really got dealt with. Not much in the way of TV Themes, so would probably have been better just as a collection of covers. The very start suggested a film theme that wasn’t delivered on, too.

Thanks to my Secret Santa. I’ve been introduced to a lot of stuff I’d not otherwise listen to and have enjoyed quite a lot of it.

As for my Santa’s identity, I can only really go by clues on the thread itself, as I don’t know any of the participants and haven’t read music threads on here previously. I am going to plump for [MENTION=19671]CorgiRegisteredFriend[/MENTION] as my first guess.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
As for my Santa’s identity, I can only really go by clues on the thread itself, as I don’t know any of the participants and haven’t read music threads on here previously. I am going to plump for [MENTION=19671]CorgiRegisteredFriend[/MENTION] as my first guess.[/QUOTE]

That was my first thought.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
As for my Santa’s identity, I can only really go by clues on the thread itself, as I don’t know any of the participants and haven’t read music threads on here previously. I am going to plump for [MENTION=19671]CorgiRegisteredFriend[/MENTION] as my first guess.

Well done Sully - Correct indeed although I guess it was pretty obvious with The Fall inclusion amongst others.( Sorry you did not enjoy the vocals there) Idea behind the compilation was to mix up some TV themes and cover versions but had more fun with the later. Regarding the British Sea Power track it is not representative of their output so please please do explore the band further. They have produced a handful of albums all of which are very good. And Ballboy are another band that I think you would enjoy listening to if it were their own material.
I am glad you managed a few listens to the songs and gave it a bit more time. Thanks for the review.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea

That was my first thought.[/QUOTE]

I guessed you would know!

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Well done Sully - Correct indeed although I guess it was pretty obvious with The Fall inclusion amongst others.( Sorry you did not enjoy the vocals there) Idea behind the compilation was to mix up some TV themes and cover versions but had more fun with the later. Regarding the British Sea Power track it is not representative of their output so please please do explore the band further. They have produced a handful of albums all of which are very good. And Ballboy are another band that I think you would enjoy listening to if it were their own material.
I am glad you managed a few listens to the songs and gave it a bit more time. Thanks for the review.

Nice choice for track 20 - as an accountant, any track that features the words "I just want to be a top accountant" strikes a nerve. I'm going by the diction of the original - don't know if you get the same possible misinterpretation of the lyrics on the cover.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
18. Boys Don’t Cry – Victor Malloy (The Cure)
A great song and a superb cover version. A soft, haunting version that really brings the emotion of the lyrics out. Gets my vote for my favourite on the compilation.

This is one of my favourite songs of all time, by one of my favourite bands, and I didn't know this cover existed.

I have long felt though, that the words alone were terrific, and would lend themselves to a softer cover. Then I thought about the *80sClassicSongQuietlyByAGirlForJohnLewisAdverts* genre, and got badly put off the idea.

Going to find this and listen now, with some trepidation...

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Review time

Well that was fun. Thank you very much to my secret DJ, loved the disc.

As I mentioned in a previous post the sleeve notes were written in Morse code. So, rather than translate all the notes I thought I’d listen to the disc and if I knew any of the tracks I need not translate the sleeve notes. This also enabled me to actually listen to the music rather than pour over the Google Morse code translator while I should have been listening, hey I’m a bloke I can’t multi task!

So the headlines. Out of the 18 tracks on the disc I have 8 in my music collection and I recognised a further 8, of the 4 remaining tracks I’d heard of 2 of the artists but the other 2 were new to me. The disc featured 2 of my all-time favourite bands and a truly moving song which never fails to reduce me to a blubbering wreck every time I hear it (more of that later).

Less of a review, more just evoked memories:

1. Roll over Beethoven – ELO. Cracking start to the disc, great rock and roll cover of the Chuck Berry classic and a reminder to me that I ought to get ELO2 out and give it a spin.
2. Bloody – Golinski Brothers. This lot were new to me but their infectious brand of new wave needs further investigation.
3. Tokyo (vampires and wolves) – The Wombats. Loved it will be buying CDs
4. Give life back to music – Daft Punk. French electro pop with soulful vocals. Reminds me of driving my wife’s car during the summer of 2013, top down and stereo up.
5. If – Pink Floyd. Nice acoustic little number from The Floyd, brings back memories of listening to Atom Heart Mother in smoky bedrooms at uni.
6. Death or Glory – The Clash. Hated The Clash when they were around originally, at the time I was listening exclusively to prog/metal. Now I love them and deeply regret being so narrow minded as a youth!
7. Bohemian like you – The Dandy Warhols. Great track, pure pop music.
8. Something in the way she moves – The Beatles. I’m not a huge Beatles fan and this song has never really done much for me (however, see track 15).
9. Aqualung – Jethro Tull. One of my favourite bands of all time ever ever ever . What can I say it’s pure “post blues early Tull” and contains one of Martin Barre’s best guitar solos.
10. Starlight – Muse. This lot are just it. Big drums, big bass, big guitar and unique vocals.
11. Stuck in the middle – Stealers Wheel. Fantastic, haven’t listened to this in an age.
12. If there’s any justice – Lemar. Nice voice great song, I suspect that my wife has this album, perhaps I’ll rifle through her draws when I’m back home in Sussex next!
13. What I got – Sublime. Never heard of them but they’re now on my CD shopping list.
14. River man – Nick Drake. Beautiful just beautiful.
15. And your bird can sing – The Beatles. Heard the track loads of times previously and loved it without knowing it was The Beatles (listening to it now it seems obvious) maybe I should investigate this small Liverpudlian beat combo a bit more.
16. Waterloo sunset – The Kinks. Love this song pure 1960s brit pop. I even included a version on the compilation I made for this year’s secret Santa.
17. Brimful of asha – Cornershop. Top pop music, I’ve always had a soft spot for this song and am always up for a spot of drunken dad dancing when it gets played at weddings.
18. The ballad of Andy Jacobs – Kathryn Roberts and Sean Lakeman. What a way to finish a very fine compilation! In my humble opinion the best, and easily the most moving, song written to date about the miners’ strike. The song originates from the coal fields of South Yorkshire and tells the tale of one man’s experience as a striking miner and the effect the strike has on his life and family. I first heard it at Cropredy in 2013 and found it so powerful that I was crying by the end and I wasn’t the only grown man in the crowd wiping away tears! I don’t know whether my affinity with the area (I’m originally from South Yorkshire if you hadn’t guessed), having lived through the miners’ strike (albeit in Brighton) and having friends and family directly affected by the strike has anything to do with it but every time I hear this song it never fails to reduce me to tears. Thank you for including it in this compilation.

Pure guess work but I’ll say TinycowBoy is my Secret Santa.

Well, I think I have five of these tracks, and one features a member of the family, but it wasn't me SouthCoastOwl....

I would guess [MENTION=13947]happypig[/MENTION]

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
This is one of my favourite songs of all time, by one of my favourite bands, and I didn't know this cover existed.

I have long felt though, that the words alone were terrific, and would lend themselves to a softer cover. Then I thought about the *80sClassicSongQuietlyByAGirlF orJohnLewisAdverts* genre, and got badly put off the idea.

Going to find this and listen now, with some trepidation...

Nice enough. Doesn't really move me.

I'll stick with fat bob's version for now.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here