Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
An effective border control controls permission at the point of entry.
Which powers that we have which we dont exercise could stop EU people gaining entry?

My point is, the UK government has decided it does NOT want to stop EU people gaining entry, post-Brexit. Anyone from the EU will be free to come and go as they please - as long as they don't work or claim social security. It's a slightly bizarre scenario, as (a) EU nationals are currently net contributors to the UK economy (ie, they pay more in taxes than they claim in benefits), and (b) we need MORE immigration not less - certainly in the south of the UK - there simply aren't enough people to do the jobs required. People are worried that EU citizens come to UK and "sponge off the state" - the UK government could put a stop to that immediately (if it were true). Funnily enough, it chooses not to.

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
Then why are we arguing?
You believe most people arguing against the EU have nothing more than a deep distrust of foreigners, you admit it, you are a bigot.
End of conversation.

I believe everyone with a deep distrust of foreigners argues against the EU. Would that be fair? If it is then it is just a question of "how many". Estimates vary is about all one could say.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
So what? Why would you worry about them? And what bearing would this have on the uk?

That's fairly obvious,I would have thought.The German car industry is already in deep doodoo over the lies it told about the pollution levels from it's engines,and probable massive costs in the future.Looking at another of it's major customers possibly imposing high tariffs on their products just might wake them up enough to give the clown act of Verhofstadt and Barmier a kick up the fat arse.Time is ticking away,and the whistling is getting louder!:whistle:

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Our point of reference here is a leading Leave economist's view that introducing tariff-free trading would lead to the virtual elimination of British manufacturing. Why would BMW and Renault be more worried about this than a British manufacturer? Is someone suggesting that they would be completely eliminated?

I have absolutely no idea what you're on about,no change there.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
That's fairly obvious,I would have thought.The German car industry is already in deep doodoo over the lies it told about the pollution levels from it's engines,and probable massive costs in the future.Looking at another of it's major customers possibly imposing high tariffs on their products just might wake them up enough to give the clown act of Verhofstadt and Barmier a kick up the fat arse.Time is ticking away,and the whistling is getting louder!:whistle:

But my post was about cheapo imports....and Germany doesn't really compete in the cheap car market does it?

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
A bit cheeky of you to accuse me of rewriting history with the beaulocks you have been coming out with. I was making a distinction between Slavery as in the legal ownership of another human being, has been abolished throughout the world, and forced labour imposed on people by the state, often in Prisons, as was practiced in the USA until 1941 so they could be contracted out to private industry, and as is practiced within Japanese prisons, Chinese prisons etc. today. Giving me a segue back to Brexit, this dropping of all tariffs, should it include products produced by forced labour in Japan, China and elsewhere?

I would certainly imagine so,but the Japanese and Chinese you mention would not be worked to death or gassed.I would also think their children would not be placed in soldiers' brothels.Slight difference between forced labour and slavery in the Third Reich,I think.Oh,and did I mention the British Empire abolished slavery in 1834?

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Aaaah and there we have it, for someone that see's himself as a prominent player in this thread you lack the detail.

For the EU growth wrongly depicted as the UK's decline by [MENTION=225]Hamilton[/MENTION] for period being discussed, Romania had the greatest % growth at 1.7% followed by Latvia 1.6% and Slovenia at 1.5%. (bake bean analogy)

No wonder you and @HerrTubthumper find the facts gibberish and very rarely post anything substantive.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2017/jun/08/uk-economy-falls-to-bottom-of-eu-growth-league

What is it actually like on your planet? I'd love to know.

In the meantime, the data shows that while we are growing, comparative to other economies, we are under-performing.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
I believe everyone with a deep distrust of foreigners argues against the EU. Would that be fair? If it is then it is just a question of "how many". Estimates vary is about all one could say.

Surely it is the EU that has a deep distrust of foreigners,particularly when it comes to trade?

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
But my post was about cheapo imports....and Germany doesn't really compete in the cheap car market does it?

Only with the Opel/Vauxhall Zippo.The snobby attitude of some to Far Eastern car imports is a bit dated now.If China and Japan can reach the moon,I'm certain they can produce luxury cars.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
My point is, the UK government has decided it does NOT want to stop EU people gaining entry, post-Brexit. Anyone from the EU will be free to come and go as they please - as long as they don't work or claim social security. It's a slightly bizarre scenario, as (a) EU nationals are currently net contributors to the UK economy (ie, they pay more in taxes than they claim in benefits), and (b) we need MORE immigration not less - certainly in the south of the UK - there simply aren't enough people to do the jobs required. People are worried that EU citizens come to UK and "sponge off the state" - the UK government could put a stop to that immediately (if it were true). Funnily enough, it chooses not to.

So freedom of movement stays and you can work illegally instead of paying into the system, Brexit Lite or Brexit sh1te?

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

All I see from SMMT is BMW, Merc and VW sales figures holding up well. But this is for people with money, meanwhile Brexit is continues to hit the poor

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Only with the Opel/Vauxhall Zippo.The snobby attitude of some to Far Eastern car imports is a bit dated now.If China and Japan can reach the moon,I'm certain they can produce luxury cars.

They can, they are not too bothered by things like patents, and intellectual property though, have you seen the Landwind X7?

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
All I see from SMMT is BMW, Merc and VW sales figures holding up well. But this is for people with money, meanwhile Brexit is continues to hit the poor

I suggest you visit an optician,then!

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
They can, they are not too bothered by things like patents, and intellectual property though, have you seen the Landwind X7?

They might not have to bother.I notice that Great Wall have approached Fiat about purchasing Jeep,as Fiat are apparently struggling at the moment.

Jan 30, 2008
Exactly. Obviously cheap cars might be good for the punter but, as with most things in life, and looking at the bigger picture, you need a balance between what's good for the punter and what's good for the worker and the economy etc etc. To achieve this balance you need some form control against Britain being flooded with cheap foreign imports.

I will also suggest that the nation would be better off if it bought quality products as opposed to cheap shit but this is a different argument.
cheap foreign imports??? what do you think freedom of movement is :rolleyes: GIVE UP WE'RE LEAVING :lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol:
regards
DR

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

Just you wait, we'll be importing them into the UK soon as part of a post Brexit Chinese trade deal

Capture.JPG

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here