Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Homophobic chanting-I anything acceptable?

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
The holding hands chant is perhaps the least malicious but none of the chants should be sung unless a fan wants a banning order.

No place for it at all.

The Tactician

Feb 18, 2013
Is this your GCSE sociology project, then, or what? Am I allowed to ask at what level of offence you become offended? If I called you a bit of a twerp, or a silly arse, or a time-wasting **** perhaps? That said, I'm not remotely interested and, frankly, who, apart from you would care? :shrug:

Apologies if I have mistaken one of the most though-provoking and contemporary NSC threads for shite.

As I hope you're aware, you have absolutely no obligation to engage with the thread if you are not interested. The subject of homophobia in football interests me, but it's a complex issue thus I opened up this discussion. Your lazy and simple-minded interpretation of it being a measure of "levels of offence" is not really what the thread was trying to provoke. It was just more of a prod into people's varying views and tolerance on the matter. As I mentioned earlier, one example could be whether people feel it is acceptable for a contingent of gay supporters to chant "We're Gay, and we know we are". It's an emotive and relevant subject also, given the events of our last away trip and therefore I thought I'd contribute to the debate. Don't worry, I won't lose sleep if you personally don't care :thumbsup:

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
As I hope you're aware, you have absolutely no obligation to engage with the thread if you are not interested. The subject of homophobia in football interests me, but it's a complex issue thus I opened up this discussion. Your lazy and simple-minded interpretation of it being a measure of "levels of offence" is not really what the thread was trying to provoke. It was just more of a prod into people's varying views and tolerance on the matter. As I mentioned earlier, one example could be whether people feel it is acceptable for a contingent of gay supporters to chant "We're Gay, and we know we are". It's an emotive and relevant subject also, given the events of our last away trip and therefore I thought I'd contribute to the debate. Don't worry, I won't lose sleep if you personally don't care :thumbsup:

It's not a complex issue. It's simple.

Many people are gay. Making chants about being gay (however seemingly benign) somehow suggests that it is an affliction, an embarrassment, shameful, or a social trait of inferiority. Much like making chants about race and disability are.

So people should stop doing it- because even if they mean no harm by it they are allowing deeper traits of real homophobia to go unchecked.

And that's it.

The Tactician

Feb 18, 2013
It's not a complex issue. It's simple.

Many people are gay. Making chants about being gay (however seemingly benign) somehow suggests that it is an affliction, an embarrassment, shameful, or a social trait of inferiority. Much like making chants about race and disability are.

So people should stop doing it- because even if they mean no harm by it they are allowing deeper traits of real homophobia to go unchecked.

And that's it.

In truth, I mostly agree. Though I still stand by my observation of it being a complex issue as, rather regrettably, some still believe even direct abuse to be banter or funny, and some are inherently homophobic for whatever reason and hold back in calling out unacceptable language or behaviour. It's difficulty to solve and police also makes it complex. But as you say, any inference that being gay is an affliction is wrong and adds to negative attitudes.

The red pepper kid

Dec 30, 2014
im not sure the purpose of this thread, but its livened up a Tuesday evening and proved some people will never agree with each other ..........

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Well, what's seen as natural by some isn't always THE CASE WITH OTHERS , WHY SHOULD IT BE ??? is there a written rule that you can't object to certain things without being "offensive" ???
regards
DR

I imagine that- and I'm perhaps being a little presumptuous here in suggesting that there is, somewhere, a lady who has devoted her life to you- when you met the future Mrs Fairy, it wasn't a conscious, measured, considered decision to fall for her: rather that it just...happened.

The same it does for LGBT people.

People who say being gay or whatever is a choice: what planet do you live on? I've heard countless accounts from people who, in their initial stages of realising their sexuality differed from what was deemed the norm, wished they could "make" themselves straight. People who've considered suicide rather than face the perceived "shame" of friends, family and others. People who've actually committed suicide. People who've been bulled relentlessly at school and beyond. People who feel afraid to do exactly the same things as any of us do with our partners: hold hands in the street, kiss somebody goodbye, share the story of what they did at the weekend with work colleagues, because they're frightened that it may result in sniggering, or abuse, or even physical assault.

Given that, PPF: do you really think people would decide to be gay on a whim, as a kind of lifestyle choice, rather than because it is, deep down hardwired into their psyche?

Jan 30, 2008
That's a bit like saying 'Well, where we see the earth is round, that isn't always the case with others. Why should it be?' It's just as brainless. Those who don't see it as natural have forfeited the right to comment - because it is natural. You don't have an injection or take a pill or even get shot into space in order to claim 'I am gay'.

No. But it's also a meaningless question in this context.
what's all this got to do with not accepting HOMOSEXUALITY AS THE NORM for some people ???
regards
DR

Jan 30, 2008
I imagine that- and I'm perhaps being a little presumptuous here in suggesting that there is, somewhere, a lady who has devoted her life to you- when you met the future Mrs Fairy, it wasn't a conscious, measured, considered decision to fall for her: rather that it just...happened.

The same it does for LGBT people.

People who say being gay or whatever is a choice: what planet do you live on? I've heard countless accounts from people who, in their initial stages of realising their sexuality differed from what was deemed the norm, wished they could "make" themselves straight. People who've considered suicide rather than face the perceived "shame" of friends, family and others. People who've actually committed suicide. People who've been bulled relentlessly at school and beyond. People who feel afraid to do exactly the same things as any of us do with our partners: hold hands in the street, kiss somebody goodbye, share the story of what they did at the weekend with work colleagues, because they're frightened that it may result in sniggering, or abuse, or even physical assault.

Given that, PPF: do you really think people would decide to be gay on a whim, as a kind of lifestyle choice, rather than because it is, deep down hardwired into their psyche?
that's not my point:facepalm:
regards
DR

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Racist chanting-I anything acceptable?

Same difference.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
None of them are "acceptable". Just as the unbelievable comments I heard from our own Albion fans last night around the signing of Jose Izquerdo along the lines of "Give him a spear and we'll be unbeatable" and "The groundsman are planting trees for his first appearance" were. :ffsparr: And this was in ear shot of my 9 year old son.

Not only racist, but thick too - he's Colombian?

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
A father and son pair of Brighton fans were walking away from the ground and the father was asked 'Do you pass him round?'
'

None of the chants are acceptable and they should be banned, but I wouldn't wish the part I have quoted on anyone.
To be honest anyone asking that question to a father with a son shouldn't be allowed anywhere near a football stadium again.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
ER LETS GET ONE THING STRAIGHT-it isn't natural at all its a made up human thing, men with that ridiculous effeminate tone of voice and females being the 'butch' one and acting all blokey in the relationship is clearly not normal, it is all a put on , why is it needed and who does it impress ?
But whether straight or gay, some people act tough while others are gentle etc. Some try and be the alpha make while others are subservient etc, which I guess is quite natural.

Is it a natural thing for you to act like a cu**?

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
But whether straight or gay, some people act tough while others are gentle etc. Some try and be the alpha make while others are subservient etc, which I guess is quite natural.

Is it a natural thing for you to act like a cu**?

:clap::banana::lolol:

Saltydog

Aug 29, 2011
Ocean Wave
ER LETS GET ONE THING STRAIGHT-it isn't natural at all its a made up human thing, men with that ridiculous effeminate tone of voice and females being the 'butch' one and acting all blokey in the relationship is clearly not normal, it is all a put on , why is it needed and who does it impress ?

I was not intending to get draw into this debate but this post just cried out due to one glaring error.

It is not a human only orientation. A little research is needed by the poster me thinks. But I will give you one thing - I've never seen a camp gorilla - or come think of it a butch dove........

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here