Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Who would you start in goal against Watford?

Who would you start in goal against Watford?

• Ryan

Votes: 192 59.4%
  • Maenpaa

Votes: 131 40.6%

• Total voters

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Very surprised at the OP! By even asking the question doubts are being raised #together

Not his fault, the op has just shown how quick we are to turn, like most football fans. 40% is an embarassment for a new player who has shown equal promise amongst the errors.

They love a good agenda, I suspect if Ryan performs a blinder on Saturday he will have only partially made up for losing us our previous games. :shrug:

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Ryan for Watford

Maenpaa for West Brom as Ryan is playing in Australia 4 days before that match.

Then assess the ongoing situation.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
We haven't scored a goal yet and blundered what few chances we had. Who should we sack from our outfield players?

Don't make the mistake of thinking I'm calling for Ryan to be dropped. What I don't agree with is that a keeper can give goals away in 10 consecutive matches and still keep his place. In 40 plus years of watching football I'm struggling to think of any Albion keeper that has made 3 such bad errors in consecutive games. Hopefully this will be a bad run that will end with our next match.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Don't make the mistake of thinking I'm calling for Ryan to be dropped. What I don't agree with is that a keeper can give goals away in 10 consecutive matches and still keep his place. In 40 plus years of watching football I'm struggling to think of any Albion keeper that has made 3 such bad errors in consecutive games. Hopefully this will be a bad run that will end with our next match.

1) Atletico long shot pre-season.
2) Parrying for Leicester's opener.

Could you explain the 3rd to me please? I'm not sure which point blank header I'm fearing the most as a response.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
How are threads like this meant to help us in any way?

-Are they trying to undermine our new keepers confidence
-Trying to disrupt and unsettle our squad and it's spirit?, something that helped us got over the promotion line last season and could be vital to our season
-Needless band wagon jumping by fickle fans who don't understand simple things like player psychology and so on and can't see the potential damage this constant nick picking and blame culture that's already started again can cause - the previous times we have had this type of fan outcry, we have had a bad season (think Hyppia & Micky Adams mk II)

It's the sort of people who jump at the chance to spread doom and gloom and think that losing 2-0 to this seasons league title favourites as well as to a team that won the league 2 years ago and made it to the last 16 in Europe means that all the other teams are like that and we have no chance of survival when the truth is far from that. This doom mongering is only going to make it more likely we fail by undermining a crucial thing we need to try to survive, belief and confidence that it is more than possible. There is plenty of time and plenty of points out there that we are more than capable of securing

Even if we do fail, what does it matter?, we can regroup and go again and look to the likes of West Brom and others who yo-yoed for a few seasons before becoming established in the PL.

Can't we just enjoy the ride (like Huddersfield fans) and approach it as a season with nothing to lose and therefore no pressure rather than this self destructive tendency to add more pressure to the side and make our task harder and therefore less likely to succeed?

Where to start?

Well........I'm not sure that you can describe the OP as a "fickle fan"! A question has been posed and we are invited to have our say. Do you really think Ryan reads NSC and is going to start wetting his bed at the criticism on here albeit when the poll shows majority support for him?

There is no way that Ryan is going to get dropped because that would be tantamount to CH admitting he had got it wrong. That isn't going to happen. But if the errors to date aren't concerning you then you are entitled to your opinion. Going off on one because folks are giving their opinion worries me more!

I'm fully behind the sentiments in your final paragraph although early indications are that we are not going to be playing the exciting, attacking football that Huddersfield have started the season playing. The set-up against Barnet (playing a lone striker and packing the midfield against L2 opposition and barely scraping a win) doesn't suggest that is the way we are going to play.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
So a goal a game given away for another 6 matches means he still keeps his place??

Ofcourse not, it was more of an expression that he can't be properly evaluated until 10 games.

I dont expect him to continue making big errors in games on a regular basis.

Changing Keepers is a much bigger decision than outfield players.

Ryan is a good keeper, we know that, just a litle run of errors where he could have done better.

I was more concerned with Suttner's defending on the goal than Ryan parrying it to the striker....

I would think there is a good chance that Mr Ryan wins Player of the Season...

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Who is goalkeeper coach at the moment?Surely at fault for any problems.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
YES! Someone else to add to the list of scapegoats and problems in the club. I was worrying that we'd only added Dwamena to that list in the last couple of days

Dwamena looks like a better, more improved scapegoat than Ashley Barnes when he was here. He's the sort of scapegoat who could end up being our top goal-scorer, the player who scores that vital goal to keep us up, but yet he'll still be able to carry the whole squad's faults and errors collectively all by himself. This guy has got Scape-goat written all over him. Can't wait to get stuck into him!

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Who is goalkeeper coach at the moment?Surely at fault for any problems.

Ooooh good idea- Ben Roberts. A new candidate for a scapegoat.

We should get rid of him NOW and bring somebody else in.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla

We can blame Casper Ankergren as well - he's used to it afterall.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

I guess it goes with the NSC turf. With umpteen thousand registered users, there's always going to be umpteen opinions across the whole spectrum of opinions. Many of which will appear ridiculous to many.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Or play Ben Roberts himself in goal?

Well yeah, at least he wouldn't be solely responsible for us getting relegated, sent into administration and suffering nuclear holocaust and global famine, like Ryan has managed to in two games.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here