Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Homophobic chanting-I anything acceptable?

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
Whether or not it's just "banter" or "ironic" or "reclaimed words" etc etc the point is that homophobic chanting is part of a continuum that makes life very unpleasant at times for gay people and normalises/justifies homophobic abuse in other walks of life.

I imagine there are lots of gay people at football grounds who find it very uncomfortable indeed, and some who manage to laugh it off. But as a straight person not directly targeted by this, I'm offended by homophobia just as I am by any activity where the majority picks on a minority, whether that's racism, workplace bullying etc. I also object to sexism and xenophobia. We've come a long way as a society to fight against all these things and it would be a shame if we couldn't make the next leap forward after so many people have fought so had to eradicate prejudice.

That doesn't mean you can't take the piss out of rival fans in a good natured way. Barnet had a good laugh at us last night for various reasons without resorting to gay chants.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
ER LETS GET ONE THING STRAIGHT-it isn't natural at all its a made up human thing, men with that ridiculous effeminate tone of voice and females being the 'butch' one and acting all blokey in the relationship is clearly not normal, it is all a put on , why is it needed and who does it impress ?

Erm I think you'll find that homosexuality is present in over 1,500 species of animal. Homophobia is only present in one. Take your ignorance and do one.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
None of them are "acceptable". Just as the unbelievable comments I heard from our own Albion fans last night around the signing of Jose Izquerdo along the lines of "Give him a spear and we'll be unbeatable" and "The groundsman are planting trees for his first appearance" were. :ffsparr: And this was in ear shot of my 9 year old son.

ah well....you've just ruined the argument of the week.

The Tactician

Feb 18, 2013
Has the other thread not taught you anything?? Everything on this/your list is unacceptable. Why does anything offensive have to be 'graded' or passed as 'jokey banter'?
When have you ever heard of anyone taking their own life because someone shouted 'Your support is f*****g sh*t!' etc etc?
Exactly...jog on

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: Please stop. Read my other posts for a start, that'll give you some context. I gave everyone an opportunity to voice their opinion by offering suggestions of lines of thought one might take. As I said before, my personal view is that "I deem any direct attack on someone's sexuality to be abhorrent, yet for example the chant 'Your women are ugly, that's why you're gay' is not directed at gay people. The joke is at women in a region being ugly, and if you work on the premise that there's nothing wrong with being gay, then that chant is merely a jibe at how attractive local females are."

Within my OP was the question of whether ANY mention of homosexuality is wrong. Abusive, derogatory or not. If there were songs from sections of gay supporters of "We're gay, and we know we are" or "You're too ugly to be gay" would that be considered wrong, or if so, as wrong? SO yes it is necessary to discuss different chants and a variety of views. Stop lambasting me for trying to invoke civil discussion on a ****ing chat forum.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
ER LETS GET ONE THING STRAIGHT-it isn't natural at all its a made up human thing, men with that ridiculous effeminate tone of voice and females being the 'butch' one and acting all blokey in the relationship is clearly not normal, it is all a put on , why is it needed and who does it impress ?

:fishing: (surely? ..hopefully?:shootself)

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Why don't we have a poll ?

I can't believe someone has taken time to write this.

Here's a suggestion. No more chants with reference to sexuality. If some folk can't cope with the curtailing of their right to abuse and insult then perhaps the FSA could arrange some counselling for them.

Alternatively, the time spent on such chants could be freed up for supporting your own team.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
Now that is a whole new can of worms!

Homophobia is homophobia. If you make homophobic football chants, insults and general name calling acceptable you set a dangerous precedent for what kind of homophobia is 'ok'.

The Tactician

Feb 18, 2013
I thought it was more of an opportunity for the OP to tell us what offends them :shrug:

No. That is simply wrong, in fact I was earlier criticised for not stating my opinion on the list in my OP. In fact, I would argue that I do not take personal offence to any of the chants, not being gay myself. Does that mean I think abuse based on your sexuality is right? Of course not.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Homophobia is homophobia. If you make homophobic football chants, insults and general name calling acceptable you set a dangerous precedent for what kind of homophobia is 'ok'.

Nope, you are now just talking rubbish. What YOU propose is that anything YOU perceive to be homophobia should be treated as such.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I think soft southern, blouse wearing, shandy drinking poofs is perfectly acceptable, as you all are!!

Of course Town are now all Black Shirt, jackboot wearing nazis according to L***s fans

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
Nope, you are now just talking rubbish. What YOU propose is that anything YOU perceive to be homophobia should be treated as such.

Hardly. What I propose is people don't act like c*nts. Just so I'm clear, what types of homophobia do you find acceptable? Is it ok if it's just 'banter'?

SAC

May 21, 2014
I don't know, you don't seem to like swear words or pedestrians so just wondered how close you fit the stereotype???

In your rush to be offended, you are wrong. I have nothing again swearing or pedestrians.

andy46

Mar 22, 2012
its not ignorance merely observation............ so its a animal state of mind then ?, ive given my opinion and your entitled to yours, however you have in your ignorance leaped at the easy bit and ignored the more difficult question ie; why the need for so called kampness- see if you can answer that rationally without getting all 'het up'

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here