Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Put Knockaert in the number 10 role?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I sometimes find it hard to believe some of our fans. So you trust your own opinion based on one game more than the club's professional scouts and recruitment team who have no doubt seen him much more than you.

I do not believe he is a number 10 in the Baldock mould, can I not have this opinion? I did say that I didn't know better than CH and LR but it was how I saw it.

**** me you are really hard work sometimes, why not just put me on ignore? You are so fecking predicatable with your pro Albion guff and you really have a problem with any criticism of anything Albion. Go on push the ignore button

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Me too. There's people saying we should drop Matt Ryan because he 'clearly isn't working out'. A guy our recruitment team would have been tracking and watching for months, if not years, to get an idea of whether he is the right calibre of player we need, before finally coming to the conclusion that he is, and parting with £5 million for his services. Yeah let's just give up with him after two games. Morons.

Another one who always takes a superior attitude. Of course you and Finchley know better than the rest of us but the whole point of a forum is that people have opinions but you carry on with your snidey remarks if it makes you happy

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Another one who always takes a superior attitude. Of course you and Finchley know better than the rest of us but the whole point of a forum is that people have opinions but you carry on with your snidey remarks if it makes you happy

It's not a superior attitude it's just basic common sense. I'm saying it is impossible for you to know better than experts who have spent months studying a player, when you've formed your opinion in two games. It's completely ridiculous.

That's not to say that you might not be right, plenty of top class managers have made bad signings, but it is way too early for anyone to judge at the moment. I really, honestly cannot see how anybody in their right mind can disagree with that.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
It's not a superior attitude it's just basic common sense. I'm saying it is impossible for you to know better than experts who have spent months studying a player, when you've formed your opinion in two games. It's completely ridiculous.

That's not to say that you might not be right, plenty of top class managers have made bad signings, but it is way too early for anyone to judge at the moment. I really, honestly cannot see how anybody in their right mind can disagree with that.

I can only speak for myself and on what I have seen of Gross he is not a replacement for Baldock. I don't get why I shouldn't have this opinion because CH has decided that he is a number 10 :shrug:

Of course I could be a complete moron but it is an opinion not a statement that I think I know better than him. Of course that is ridiculous.:smile:

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I can only speak for myself and on what I have seen of Gross he is not a replacement for Baldock. I don't get why I shouldn't have this opinion because CH has decided that he is a number 10 :shrug:

Of course I could be a complete moron but it is an opinion not a statement that I think I know better than him. Of course that is ridiculous.:smile:

To be fair I was talking about Matt Ryan! I don't think Gross is a replacement for Baldock either, and I don't think we signed him to be.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
Here's Gross positioning on Saturday via https://twitter.com/ElStatto

View attachment 88404

That made my head hurt :)

In general though (and not aimed at you Chailey) way too early to be calling time on Gross (or any of the other new signings). It's worth repeating that so far we've played the likely champions at home and the champions of two seasons ago at their patch, and that's before we've even finalised signings and the squad. Those two games were also Gross, Suttner, Propper and Ryan's first (proper) games in English football. I know we've got to 'learn quick', but jeez, give them a chance. However they collectively and individually shape-up over the coming games, playing our best player of last season out of position is definitely not the answer.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Where do you think he's be signed to play?

I'd always assumed he was more of a midfielder than a sort of second striker. You would hope so, looking at his goals to game ratio.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
I do not believe he is a number 10 in the Baldock mould, can I not have this opinion? I did say that I didn't know better than CH and LR but it was how I saw it.

**** me you are really hard work sometimes, why not just put me on ignore? You are so fecking predicatable with your pro Albion guff and you really have a problem with any criticism of anything Albion. Go on push the ignore button

I'm really struggling to see what is so hard to work out. I have not actually put a pro Albion position here or on other threads. All I've said is to wait and see before judging that players are not going to work in certain position (and clearly he is different to Baldock, who is a striker while Gross is an attacking midfielder).

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost

I personally thought this was, let's put it subtly. ****ing obvious given Gross is a midfielder..

And who else fills the role?....

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I personally thought this was, let's put it subtly. ****ing obvious given Gross is a midfielder..

And who else fills the role?....

Not sure I understand the question because nobody fills the position and to suggest Gross can cover for Baldock makes me raise a Roger Moore style eyebrow.

I really do not understand why we don't just go out and sign a Baldock replacement/cover is it really that ****ing hard? If we bought Gross to do it...well I suppose I have to give it time.......

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
Not sure I understand the question because nobody fills the position and to suggest Gross can cover for Baldock makes me raise a Roger Moore style eyebrow.

I really do not understand why we don't just go out and sign a Baldock replacement/cover is it really that ****ing hard? If we bought Gross to do it...well I suppose I have to give it time.......

I can't tell if you're on a wind up or generally thick..

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I can't tell if you're on a wind up or generally thick..

Must be thick because I haven't got a clue what you are on about

It might of course be that you don"t express yourself very well...

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I'm really struggling to see what is so hard to work out. I have not actually put a pro Albion position here or on other threads. All I've said is to wait and see before judging that players are not going to work in certain position (and clearly he is different to Baldock, who is a striker while Gross is an attacking midfielder).

Can I put it another way? We do not need a midfielder covering for Baldock, we need a player who is like Baldock. Not sure why that is so hard to comprehend. Gross is not that player however good he may turn out to be as a box to box midfielder.

The club have failed miserably to find one over the last three years. Hopefully it's Izquierdo.

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
Must be thick because I haven't got a clue what you are on about

It might of course be that you don"t express yourself very well...

Must be the former. I don't think it's a case of expressing one's self well - you just don't understand what people are saying.

Can I put it another way? We do not need a midfielder covering for Baldock, we need a player who is like Baldock. Not sure why that is so hard to comprehend. Gross is not that player however good he may turn out to be as a box to box midfielder.

The club have failed miserably to find one over the last three years. Hopefully it's Izquierdo.
Duly because of how poorly you've tried arguing this to be the case.

The point of playing Gross there is because....DUN DUN DUNNNNN - there wasn't an alternative player to be played there...

Because of course, you were really making this point well understood here:

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Must be the former. I don't think it's a case of expressing one's self well - you just don't understand what people are saying.

Duly because of how poorly you've tried arguing this to be the case.

The point of playing Gross there is because....DUN DUN DUNNNNN - there wasn't an alternative player to be played there...

Because of course, you were really making this point well understood here:

You are still rambling on and being pretty rude with it so this thicko is out.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London

I think the point is our tactics are different. Last season, despite Baldock playing a bit deeper than Murray, we effectively played 4-4-2. This season, with Gross or Brown in that role, it sounds like we plan to play 4-4-1-1. It is a different system so we are not looking for a direct Baldock replacement

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here