Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Overheard at the Amex 2017

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I believe a mass murderer has moved in somewhere behind us.

I assume he's some kind of spree killer by virtue of the fact that all he wants Albion players to do.

'Hurt him', 'kill him', 'kick him' etc.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
- if you're outside the Prem, you're invisible to a huge number of football fans

Definitely true, this.

I was talking about football to a group of cricket team mates this week, 5 or 6 Saints fans and a couple of plastic scousers.

"I reckon Brighton will go down"
"Yeah me too"
"Do you know anything at all about our squad?"
"That Knockart bloke looks good"

"Coutinho is going. Haha"
"Don't know why you're laughing. We'll use the cash for Van Dijk"
"Hope you don't try to get Dunk to replace him"
"Who?"
"Who?"
"Who?"
"Who?"
"Who?"

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Gate receipts for the final are always given in full to the losing team by the winning team.

A nicely-spoken bloke collared me just off the Lewes Road after the game on Saturday. Conversation went like this:

Him: 'I'm from Brighton, right, but don't really follow football much. What was the score today?"
Me: "Got beat 2-0. Did well to hold them to 0-0 for 70 minutes"
Him: "Ah, right. Then it went to extra time yeah?"
Me: "Um, no, they scored two goals in the last 20 minutes"
Him: "Ah, right. Who were we playing again?"
Me: "Man City"
Him: "Ah, right. With all their money. How are we doing in the league again?"
Me: "Bit hard to say really, first game of the season"
Him: "Ah, right"

We went our seperate ways. Sake! :facepalm:

Him: 'I'm from Brighton, right, but don't really follow football much.

At least he was honest. The ones that get on my nerves, are the ones who think they know it all.

clarkey

Jan 3, 2006
A nicely-spoken bloke collared me just off the Lewes Road after the game on Saturday. Conversation went like this:

Him: 'I'm from Brighton, right, but don't really follow football much. What was the score today?"
Me: "Got beat 2-0. Did well to hold them to 0-0 for 70 minutes"
Him: "Ah, right. Then it went to extra time yeah?"
Me: "Um, no, they scored two goals in the last 20 minutes"
Him: "Ah, right. Who were we playing again?"
Me: "Man City"
Him: "Ah, right. With all their money. How are we doing in the league again?"
Me: "Bit hard to say really, first game of the season"
Him: "Ah, right"

We went our seperate ways. Sake! :facepalm:

People like that fascinate me. What's the motivation for that conversation??

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Group of elderly posh gentlemen (clearly been to the game) walking up the train between Lewes and Glynde moaning to the guard "we couldn't get off at Lewes, the doors didn't open" and proceeded to get off the train at Glynde. The guard advised them to get back on and change at Polegate otherwise they would have an hour to wait to be back to Lewes.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter

I assume he's some kind of spree killer by virtue of the fact that all he wants Albion players to do.

Does he ever shout SNAP HIM? If so, that's the guy that used to be behind us in H block at Withdean.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
People like that fascinate me. What's the motivation for that conversation??

Plenty of people don't really follow the game but like to be kept abreast of the fortunes of the local team don't they? Nothing really wrong with that, and tbh I don't really see what THPP is moaning about. So he doesn't know much about football but is hoping the biggest sports team in the area by far is doing well. Hardly a crime is it?

clarkey

Jan 3, 2006
Plenty of people don't really follow the game but like to be kept abreast of the fortunes of the local team don't they? Nothing really wrong with that, and tbh I don't really see what THPP is moaning about. So he doesn't know much about football but is hoping the biggest sports team in the area by far is doing well. Hardly a crime is it?

Could have left it after the first question though!

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Plenty of people don't really follow the game but like to be kept abreast of the fortunes of the local team don't they? Nothing really wrong with that, and tbh I don't really see what THPP is moaning about.

Moan? MOAN?? I'd call it more of an observation really. SAKE [MENTION=232]Simster[/MENTION]!!! :angry: :rant:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Could have left it after the first question though!

Well yes, but what's he doing other than trying to show some interest (presumably just an extension of pleasantries) in the game itself? I'm sure he'd rather make an arse of himself to some random football fan than to a colleague he may later briefly discuss it with.

Moan? MOAN?? I'd call it more of an observation really. SAKE [MENTION=232]Simster[/MENTION]!!! :angry: :rant:
I'd advise you not to fck off back to Scotland then, as nobody knows anything about quality football up there. :thumbsup:

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Does he ever shout SNAP HIM? If so, that's the guy that used to be behind us in H block at Withdean.

I'll listen out for that one, it's certainly in his MO.
Not really Family Stand material, but then again it's not 'f****** kill him', so each to their own.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Not overheard at The Amex but a bit of a theme developing - speaking to Prem team followers at work this week, all seem incredibly impressed with The Amex. I think the BT coverage (drones etc) showed it at its best. A few things occur to me:

- if you're outside the Prem, you're invisible to a huge number of football fans
- The Amex really is a stand out stadium, not just a good stab (one of my colleagues said he was expecting us to be playing at a ground like Yeovil's)
- our stadium impresses people every time they see it for the first time (apart from a few idiot fans from smaller clubs who claim it's identikit, etc etc)

I searched "Brighton stadium" on twitter after the game and there loads of really positive comments about the Amex. To be fair though, a lot of them seemed to come from other countries. Goes to show the reach of the Premier League.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
I mentioned it on another thread, but a woman we had never seen before in 6 years of Amex football sat next to us with her young son on Saturday.

She left at about 80 mins saying - "I cant believe I spent all that money to see us lose..."

Doubt we'll ever see her again.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

"SNAP HIM" sits in the WSL right up the North end.

Definitely.

Its LITERALLY all he shouts.

So he doesn't know much about football but is hoping the biggest sports team in the area by far is doing well. Hardly a crime is it?

If it were, this place would be like a ghost town.

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
From the total idiot that sits behind me in the 1901: (Regarding Davy Propper)

'I f*****g hope we got a credit note from Ajax (Thought it was PSV?), as he is a useless dutch C**T'

That's one of his better comments. In the past 6 seasons he has has a hate figure and think if I right it was:

Bridcutt
Barnes
Barnes
Stockdale
Stockdale

I feel for poor Davy as think he has found his hate figure for this year

I feel sorry for you having to sit immediately in front of such a daft f----- !

Daffy Duck

Stop bloody moaning!
Nov 7, 2009
GOSBTS
Not at the footie, but waiting for a bus in Lewes High Street last Saturday on our way to the Amex.

Middle-aged couple walked past and she was saying to the bloke, "if they live in Eastbourne why on earth do they support Brighton?"

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here