Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Wimbledon 2017

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
If he had called it a day, early in the fourth, he would have retained his dignity and wouldn't have let a player he would normally beat easily at Wimbledon, rub his nose in it.

And then he'd have been labelled a quitter. The bloke can't win can he.

I think he deserves a bit of credit for staying on court and finishing the match, particularly given that the paying public have been short-changed a few times already this year by the "walking wounded".

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
But he didn't give his all, he wasn't able to. He allowed himself to be humiliated against a pretty ordinary player for two painful sets. He was reduced to playing like a park player, immobile and having to play little dolly shots. If he had called it a day, early in the fourth, he would have retained his dignity and wouldn't have let a player he would normally beat easily at Wimbledon, rub his nose in it.
It wasn't a fantastic run, he struggled in all his matches and had to drag himself through all the rounds. For Murray, it was a pretty ordinary tournament.

He gave his all for what his body allowed. That is what I meant. He's not going to quit, and I admire him for that, too many would have happily given up for injury, don't want to see that.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
And then he'd have been labelled a quitter. The bloke can't win can he.

I think he deserves a bit of credit for staying on court and finishing the match, particularly given that the paying public have been short-changed a few times already this year by the "walking wounded".

Yes! Bloodyhell, suggesting he should have quit just because he might lose. He's a professional and played to the end rather than taking the easy way out. He's had a great run, he can't win it every year. We finally get a multiple grand slam winner and still people moan. Unbelievable.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
But he didn't give his all, he wasn't able to. He allowed himself to be humiliated against a pretty ordinary player for two painful sets. He was reduced to playing like a park player, immobile and having to play little dolly shots. If he had called it a day, early in the fourth, he would have retained his dignity and wouldn't have let a player he would normally beat easily at Wimbledon, rub his nose in it.
It wasn't a fantastic run, he struggled in all his matches and had to drag himself through all the rounds. For Murray, it was a pretty ordinary tournament.

His dignity was not in question. He was injured but played on, and played to a conclusion.

Talk of his dignity is pathetic and makes me question yours, if you have any at all. Or if you simply didn't watch the match.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Djokovic has retired from his match against Berdych.

larus

Yes, I know. Many years ago I was flamed on here for suggesting that women's football isn't very good (well, it was England, so...), yet in the ensuing years I became a big paralympics fan. Maybe it has something to do with expectations. I don't expect a bloke with a leg missing to be able to match the Bolt, but on the other hand I don't see why someone who need fewer sets to win, and is technically and physically less up to it than a bloke can expect equal pay, even if they are made to do the same work (5 sets). Perhaps I'd be kinder to womens' tennis if it were treated in reward more like lower league football. As it is, paying Murray the same as a woman I have never hard of is a testament to Billie Jean King, but makes about as much sense as paying Ethan Pinnock £250K a week. If it weren't for the money I'd say nothing and I may even be able to enjoy it. As it is, it seems odd and irritating. Can anyone name 5 sports (I mean muscle-dependent sports, not bowls, darts, or snooker) where the women are paid the same as men (edit do even women darts and snooker players earn as much as the men?). If not, why not? My guess is tennis is the exception.

I happen to agree. If you look at the crowds for events on the WTA and LTA, the LTA gets bigger attendances so pay higher prize money. I think it's only the slams which pay the same (not 100% certain). I can't think of a sport where women draw more crowds than men. Regarding snooker/darts, as strength is not an issue surely they can compete against men.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Heather Watson & Henry are the defending mixed doubles champions, & through to the 4th round, in straight sets.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Pathetic. One of Britain's top sportsmen loses, mainly due to injury, and you're happy. You are the miserable one

- plays sport for a living
- totty wife
- healthy young kid
- travelling the world first class
- staying in 5/6 star hotels
- multi-millionaire

And STILL he is a miserable b*st*rd.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
- travelling the world first class
- staying in 5/6 star hotels
- multi-millionaire

And STILL he is a miserable b*st*rd.

Such a ****ing stupid argument. So if you had money, you're basically not allowed to be human any more? Just walk around 24-7 with a beatific smile on your face? I don't think you understand how humans work. Regardless of your bank balance, you're still a human being. You have good days and shit days. You have arguments with people you love. You feel tired. You feel lonely. You have, y'know, normal emotions. Money isn't some magic pill that makes you stop being human.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Such a ****ing stupid argument. So if you had money, you're basically not allowed to be human any more? Just walk around 24-7 with a beatific smile on your face? I don't think you understand how humans work. Regardless of your bank balance, you're still a human being. You have good days and shit days. You have arguments with people you love. You feel tired. You feel lonely. You have, y'know, normal emotions. Money isn't some magic pill that makes you stop being human.

I was going to reply to rippleman but it just wasn't worth it. An incredibly bizarre take on the human condition! Reminded me of the US university survey when they compared the level of happiness of paralysed car accident victims with lottery winners, with surprising results.

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
Bloody foreigners coming over here and beating our foreigners, blooming cheek. It's time to take control of our borders and stop these Williams sisters coming in. #MakeBritainGreatAgain.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here