Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is Saturday's game potentially season defining?

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Once again it's hard not to read that and sound like:-

View attachment 79054

Not me.................These Managers are more than happy to take someone else's job and negotiate terms knowing that someone is going to be sacked so Managers who do that have to take whatever Karma they accumulate.

Some managers won't go near a job until it is already Vacant on a point of principle. Others are more than happy to do so and I have no doubt that Alex Neil was in negotiations for that job whilst Neil Adams was still in the job, so what goes round comes around.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
i am going to whisper this (unlike last season) this year,well after yesterday (hedging bets on numerous variables) i seriously believe,that we are one of two horses.......going for top spot

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
He was telling little lies. The last matchday he was top was the 16.10.

Grrrr, you've made me dig out the exact quote (again read this in a Droopy voice):-

"A week and a half ago we're at the top of the league and everybody's talking about how we're one of the favourites to win the Championship. A week and a half later, there's a few bad results and things change".

Muggy McMug-Mug. :lol:

mike79

Sep 28, 2005
Bournemouth
LOL

He will make sure that they play one game at a time.

I have been texting my mate all morning that I was friends with when CH managed up there. He is saying they screamed for attacking football when Chris gave them cautious defensive football. He says today they are screaming for someone to sort the defence out.

Oh the irony of it all. I just enjoyed sweetness and vindication that came with yesterdays result

Not vindication at all lol

People wanted non ultra defensive football, not attacking football

Alex Neil was brilliant in his first half season getting promoted but lost the plot after a few months in the premier league and never recovered. Similar to Hughton tbh. Decent impact on arrival then it goes stale. The premier league is a very different kettle of fish and maybe he will learn from his mistakes if Brighton go up. I'm sure he'd do a lot better in the transfer market.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
You are of course right but I still feel this team has more about it than last seasons. Murray and Duffy are massive additions. We don't get bullied at the back any more and apart from being a predator Murray is also an excellent defender at set pieces. Set pieces undid us so many times last season, not happening anymore. Yes we have over half a season to go but I am convinced barring injuries/suspensions to two forwards at the same time we are in a good place.

Did I mention we haven't missed Kayal at all? Unthinkable last season.
I agree with you, the squad has got stronger, but the division just gets tougher and tougher. Newcastle are better than Burnley and 'brough, and Norwich have just given a false impression of their chances.

And strong squad or not, it's still difficult to get the results we need to finish 2nd.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
4b1c3f7d07f1d33b74cee55bb3c568ae.png

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
It certainly earned some begrudging respect from the two doubters on the Football League Show who consistently underrate Albion - 'over achievers last season' who are not contenders said Gray a few weeks ago. But, waking up and trying to make sense of this, it is no more thna CH said: a win, and one against a rival that stops them getting the points. The margin is unlikely to be relevant come May.

Where I do think it could be defining is the GS department; now equal 3rd despite not getting the striker we all craved. Dunk got his first yesterday, Stephens last week, looking good to get others than GM, SB & AK n score sheet.

I will post this again, it wasn't goals scored last season that cost us, but goals conceded. We scored the same number of goals as Burnley, and 9 more than Boro, but conceded 7 and 11 more respectively. We have now kept 10 clean sheets out of 15 games, and have the joint second best scorer in the Championship here.

https://www.google.co.uk/#safe=active&q=championship+table+2015/16

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Not vindication at all lol

People wanted non ultra defensive football, not attacking football

Alex Neil was brilliant in his first half season getting promoted but lost the plot after a few months in the premier league and never recovered. Similar to Hughton tbh. Decent impact on arrival then it goes stale. The premier league is a very different kettle of fish and maybe he will learn from his mistakes if Brighton go up. I'm sure he'd do a lot better in the transfer market.

Alex Neil's impact was in the Championship. And for that matter with a Premiership squad, assembled by CH. So his impact was with someone else's team and a division lower

Fast forward Alex Neil to the Premiership his record was a lot worse than that of CH. And now that he is back in the Championship with for the most part the CH squad dismantled and his own squad in place.

Yesterday he came up against a squad that CH has put together at Brighton in roughly a similar period of time to that put together at Norwich by Alex Neil. I won't expand by stating who came out on top yesterday

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Apart from a striker where if at all do you think we should strengthen in January

Nowhere I'd say. Two good options in goal, four decent full backs as Pocognoli looked okay at Ipswich and Rosenior is due back, two fantastic centre backs with two decent back up options, four very good options in central midfield once Kayal returns (and Towell could come back and do okay too) and five wingers who all offer something different. A January window of Manu out (recouping what we can of the fee we paid) and a new striker (an upgrade on Baldock although he's scored more this season) would be great.

The other thing we need is to sort out contracts. Stockdale, Bong, Kayal and Stephens are all out of contract this season. While I appreciate that Stephens is unlikely to sign and Kayal may not either, it would be good to get Stockdale and Bong signed up. The form Bong is in, others will be interested in him if we don't

Season defining - not sure about that. It will give us a confidence boost to be sure but we're confident anyway.

The only impact it could have is if Alex Neil has a meltdown and starts blaming the wrong players for it and screws up their season. Dunno if that's likely to happen but we'll see, more likely is he'll spend a bit more money in the window to shore up defence and defensive midfield.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
I watched QPR Brentford on Friday evening and Hogan looked good. OK, he didn't score but he was a constant danger, quick and skillful and he certainly knows where the goal is. If we sign one player in January he would be the one for me.

mike79

Sep 28, 2005
Bournemouth
Alex Neil's impact was in the Championship. And for that matter with a Premiership squad, assembled by CH. So his impact was with someone else's team and a division lower

Fast forward Alex Neil to the Premiership his record was a lot worse than that of CH. And now that he is back in the Championship with for the most part the CH squad dismantled and his own squad in place.

Yesterday he came up against a squad that CH has put together at Brighton in roughly a similar period of time to that put together at Norwich by Alex Neil. I won't expand by stating who came out on top yesterday

What's with all the bold?

Can't you write normally?

Anyway, both managers inherited teams, though for Alex Neil one that was underperforming and needed turning around which is why the previous manager left and wasn't poached. I was actually trying to be kind about Hughton's impact as it was a decent 10 game run and the rest of the time garbage. But as I said Prem very different to the champ and both managers struggled averaging under a point per game in the relegation seasons.

Alex Neil's record wasn't a lot worse at all but this isn't the first time you've invented history. He did just as bad with his own squad in the Prem and has now totally lost it though he is still 4th thanks to 7 wins from 7 vs the bottom 8 teams.

The squad argument is again a nonsense as you could say the same about their Amex meeting 2 seasons ago. I wouldn't really call getting relegated building a squad as that's when players want to leave and you're trying to reassemble. The players clearly don't care too much now under him which is what happens when a manager gets stale and the players lose respect.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London

Anyway, both managers inherited teams, though for Alex Neil one that was underperforming and needed turning around which is why the previous manager left and wasn't poached. I was actually trying to be kind about Hughton's impact as it was a decent 10 game run and the rest of the time garbage. But as I said Prem very different to the champ and both managers struggled averaging under a point per game in the relegation seasons.

Alex Neil's record wasn't a lot worse at all but this isn't the first time you've invented history. He did just as bad with his own squad in the Prem and has now totally lost it though he is still 4th thanks to 7 wins from 7 vs the bottom 8 teams.

The squad argument is again a nonsense as you could say the same about their Amex meeting 2 seasons ago. I wouldn't really call getting relegated building a squad as that's when players want to leave and you're trying to reassemble. The players clearly don't care too much now under him which is what happens when a manager gets stale and the players lose respect.

I find it odd that a Norwich fan is so keen to come on here and slag off Chris Hughton so regularly on a Brighton fans forum. I think I'd focus more on your own club and their current manager at the moment.

The fact is Alex Neil didn't get sacked for taking you down. Hughton got sacked when you weren't actually relegated. Either way it does seem double standards and the timing was very bad. However, it's old news and while people are commenting on it on here, I'm not sure why you feel the need to argue about it on another team's forum.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015

its like being back on Norwich Boards discussing this with you so as it is not a Norwich Forum I am terminating this here. I am never going to agree with Norwich fans such as yourself but to accuse me of inventing history based on the CH v AN Norwich record is a bit rich.

History shows

Alex Neil - Relegated with something like 34 points

Chris Hughton - 11th with 44 points and second season sacked whilst 5 points clear of relegation places

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
I will post this again, it wasn't goals scored last season that cost us, but goals conceded. We scored the same number of goals as Burnley, and 9 more than Boro, but conceded 7 and 11 more respectively. We have now kept 10 clean sheets out of 15 games, and have the joint second best scorer in the Championship here.

https://www.google.co.uk/#safe=active&q=championship+table+2015/16

Indeed, I am agreeing with you! Just that I took it that goals conceded has been nailed a few weeks ago, now we have shown we can score enough too.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Totally agree, yesterday will have left the squad believing 100% that top two is attainable. Removing doubt can only help with the tough games coming up. Beating other top six teams is a massive confidence booster for squad and fans IMO.

I feel way more confident about our chances of auto this season than I did at any stage last season. Before a ball was kicked I wrote off any chance of the top two though. Fickle? Moi? :smile:

If we win our next two, we'll really be in a strong position. It won't just be the six points, or that we've reached 37 from 17, but that we're beating teams that are expected to be in with at least a shout for the play-offs.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
When we score 5 against our promotion rivals it is the equivalent to a 7 pointer, but added to that it was a grudge match for Hughton, not that he would ever show it. It was almost as if the players had just that little extra incentive to give him an early Christmas present. Norwich fans would have expected Hughton to have gone defensive for a boring 1-0, but the message he sent was a devastating blow to their opinion of him and they are all eating humble pie today after a right old spanking.

I don’t know about defining, it certainly had meaning, but a confident manager with confident players has to be a very good thing at this stage of the season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here