Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sheffield Wednesday Player Retires

Thank you. As a Born Again Christian I find it hard to take remarks like that too. I have no problem with people who choose not to follow their God, but surely we should all be more tolerant of others?

That quote suggests that everyone 'has' a god.

Any sane person knows there is no such thing.

Out of interest, does being a born again Christian mean you are now at odds with Muslims, where you wasn't before. You know no longer believe in evolution or the big bang and that you place your hands together and talk to an invisible friend before dinner?

Not a direct dig. I have some sympathy for those who family and parents have miss guided those in their youth, but I've never quote grasped how previously normal people can choose this path, be it, born again Christian or a monster murdering people in the name is Islam.

RyFish

Dec 6, 2011
That quote suggests that everyone 'has' a god.

Any sane person knows there is no such thing.

That all depends on how you define sane. Frank Skinner, Victoria Coren Mitchell, Ian Hislop etc - all sane as far as I am aware, all believe in God.

burnee54

East Upper Hermit
Sep 1, 2011
up the downs
Regrettably not everyone shares your view. To bring a bit of real life recent experience to this debate, my wife is unwell at the minute and had an email from someone she vaguely knows a few days ago, a little excerpt:

"I don't know if you know, but I am a very devoted Christian with unshakable faith. There is something telling me I need to sit and pray with you, before your operation. I am aware of how completely nuts that sounds! I hope you know me well enough to know that I am not crazy. There is a reason you felt the urge to email me this week. Everything in life is part of Gods plan in some shape or form, although I am fully aware that that is probably a very hard thing to hear, given what you are going through. "

The implication being - god has chosen to give you cancer. To all who believe in a god who would willingly do this sort of thing and who peddle this sort of nonsense, go f*ck yourself, you don't deserve my respect or tolerance.

One more point, she's a recent convert, she's a nice lady, but in my experience they always seem to be the most zealous, as though they are making up for lost time and have to prove to someone (themselves?) just how religious they are.

Please feel free to send her this link... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZeWPScnolo

KVLT

Sep 15, 2008
Rutland
Regrettably not everyone shares your view. To bring a bit of real life recent experience to this debate, my wife is unwell at the minute and had an email from someone she vaguely knows a few days ago, a little excerpt:

"I don't know if you know, but I am a very devoted Christian with unshakable faith. There is something telling me I need to sit and pray with you, before your operation. I am aware of how completely nuts that sounds! I hope you know me well enough to know that I am not crazy. There is a reason you felt the urge to email me this week. Everything in life is part of Gods plan in some shape or form, although I am fully aware that that is probably a very hard thing to hear, given what you are going through. "

The implication being - god has chosen to give you cancer. To all who believe in a god who would willingly do this sort of thing and who peddle this sort of nonsense, go f*ck yourself, you don't deserve my respect or tolerance.

One more point, she's a recent convert, she's a nice lady, but in my experience they always seem to be the most zealous, as though they are making up for lost time and have to prove to someone (themselves?) just how religious they are.

If everything in life is part of God's plan why on earth does she feel the need to waste time praying?

My Mum (an Albion fan who herself sadly died in my arms of cancer 5 weeks ago) lost my brother to pneumonia in his infancy. Upon hearing, a Christian she knew kindly informed her that God only does such things to people he knows are strong enough to deal with them.

Cvntery, absolute cvntery!

lost in london

Dec 10, 2003
London
If everything in life is part of God's plan why on earth does she feel the need to waste time praying?

My Mum (an Albion fan who herself sadly died in my arms of cancer 5 weeks ago) lost my brother to pneumonia in his infancy. Upon hearing, a Christian she knew kindly informed her that God only does such things to people he knows are strong enough to deal with them.

Cvntery, absolute cvntery!

Very sorry to hear about your mum. That comment to her about your brother was staggering - as if anyone would take any comfort from that sort of remark, the arrogance and insensitivity of it just bemuses me. Whether many religious people are willing to admit it or not, the reality is that their belief means that god chooses who is going to die, fall ill, suffer awfully from flood etc - who would chose to worship that sort of vengeful, heartless *******? Stephen Fry puts it a lot better:

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
Very sorry to hear about your mum. That comment to her about your brother was staggering - as if anyone would take any comfort from that sort of remark, the arrogance and insensitivity of it just bemuses me. Whether many religious people are willing to admit it or not, the reality is that their belief means that god chooses who is going to die, fall ill, suffer awfully from flood etc - who would chose to worship that sort of vengeful, heartless *******? Stephen Fry puts it a lot better:

Notwithstanding the awful experiences of you and @<a href="http://www.northstandchat.com/member.php?u=12305" target="_blank">KVLT</a>, there are many religious people who don't push it on others and derive an awful lot of peace from their faith.

lost in london

Dec 10, 2003
London
Notwithstanding the awful experiences of you and @<a href="http://www.northstandchat.com/member.php?u=12305" target="_blank">KVLT</a>, there are many religious people who don't push it on others and derive an awful lot of peace from their faith.

I know, my aunt is one. She apparently quietly organised a mass for my wife in her local church. Do what you've got to do I suppose, but all I could think of was this:

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
NSC is by far the most religiously intolerant website I visit. Really offensive stuff at times.

To each his own, live and let live etc, please.

Probably because religions are often the most intolerant of institutions to others. Really offensive to women and homosexuals to name but two.

KVLT

Sep 15, 2008
Rutland

Thanks chap, and apologies for my oversight in neglecting to wish your wife all the best in her battle with this horrible disease. I so hope she beats it.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1

The ridiculousness of religion summed up here. Firstly if everything is in gods plan then he gave her cancer in the first place. Secondly if god has a plan then praying is a complete and utter waste of energy as he is going to do what he wants. Batshit mental logic.

My thoughts are with your wife by the way.

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
I am an atheist which means that I can see no reason to believe in any supernatural belief system. I am totally mystified why anybody does believe when it seems so irrational but I fully respect their right as adults to do so as long as they don’t compromise my freedom to not believe.
The question of whether religion is a good or bad thing is a completely separate one and for what it’s worth I think that it is generally a bad thing. The fact that many religions preach what many would view as universally good principles is that most people’s innate humanity means that the more barbaric elements are edited out in time. This doesn’t always work; ISIS is not a distortion of Islam just a return to a very old and fundamentalist version of it, one which many Muslims would not recognise. If you can make one generalisation it is that organised religion presents itself in as benign a light as possible when it faces some competition; any historical look at organised religion that held real power shows a tendency to massively abuse that power.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I am an atheist which means that I can see no reason to believe in any supernatural belief system. I am totally mystified why anybody does believe when it seems so irrational but I fully respect their right as adults to do so as long as they don’t compromise my freedom to not believe.
The question of whether religion is a good or bad thing is a completely separate one and for what it’s worth I think that it is generally a bad thing. The fact that many religions preach what many would view as universally good principles is that most people’s innate humanity means that the more barbaric elements are edited out in time. This doesn’t always work; ISIS is not a distortion of Islam just a return to a very old and fundamentalist version of it, one which many Muslims would not recognise. If you can make one generalisation it is that organised religion presents itself in as benign a light as possible when it faces some competition; any historical look at organised religion that held real power shows a tendency to massively abuse that power.

Isn't atheism similar to religious belief in that you believe something that can't be proven ? In this case that God doesn't exist. I'm more of an agnostic in that I don't know and I don't care. What I do know is that religion is a method of control and imposing social conservatism. The Left once opposed these forces whereas now it has become a reactionary apologist which is quite disappointing.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Isn't atheism similar to religious belief in that you believe something that can't be proven ? In this case that God doesn't exist. I'm more of an agnostic in that I don't know and I don't care. What I do know is that religion is a method of control and imposing social conservatism. The Left once opposed these forces whereas now it has become a reactionary apologist which is quite disappointing.

Atheism isn’t an ideology, nor is it political. If you are talking about an atheist humanist then it becomes more specific to a belief in humanity.

Muhammed - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
I hope he is better at finding religion than he was at finding a team mate 5 yards away

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Isn't atheism similar to religious belief in that you believe something that can't be proven ? In this case that God doesn't exist.

no, atheism is primarily the non-believe in any deity(s), it is not the belief in something else. some might go on to refute the existance of God which is quite easy (problem of evil), usually for sport. one may also point out that Cristianity, Islam and Judaism are nearly atheist, believing no other deities exist except one, when billions would believe otherwise. this is great for illustrating the futility of beliefs, because if you can argue God exists you may as well argue Thor exists, and go a praise him instead.

Last edited:

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Atheism isn’t an ideology, nor is it political. If you are talking about an atheist humanist then it becomes more specific to a belief in humanity.

no, atheism is primarily the non-believe in any deity(s), it is not the belief in something else. some might go on to refute the existance of God which is quite easy (problem of evil), usually for sport. one may also point out that Cristianity, Islam and Judaism are nearly atheist, believing no other deities exist except one, when billions would believe otherwise. this is great for illustrating the futility of beliefs, because if you can argue God exists you may as well argue Thor exists, and go a praise him instead.

But if one believes something doesn't exist then that sounds like an ideology and one that has faith in a fact. What if you are wrong and God does exist ?
I still think it's all a bit academic. If God does exist then that still doesn't justify religious authority or it's social attitudes.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
But if one believes something doesn't exist then that sounds like an ideology and one that has faith in a fact. What if you are wrong and God does exist ?

see you're confusing yourself by starting from the wrong premise... again, it not about a belief something doesnt exist, its from the non-belief something exists. do you believe there are fairies, would you say anyone who doesnt has to believe in their non-existance as some form of faith? no. there's no need for ideology or faith in atheism or the non-belief of anything.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here