Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] Staplefield Cricket Club - Need YOUR Help....Please Sign

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
OK, I've signed it as I do most petitions on NSC based on loyalty to fellow Albion fans. That said, please answer me one question, why should the tax payer help pay people to play cricket ?

Because £5000 per year, even to a Parish Council is bugger all, and a small price to pay to preserve 100 years' plus of village tradition, and provide a facility for local people to meet, keep fit, and encourage community spirit. That said, in such situations, I'm not against councils looking for a benefit in kind of some kind. Agree to continue the subsidy, in return for the club undertaking to provide evening coaching sessions for juniors in the summer, for example - that kind of thing.

Mind you, even the current £110 per match sounds pretty high - for the hire of a cricket pitch and pavilion.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Because £5000 per year, even to a Parish Council is bugger all, and a small price to pay to preserve 100 years' plus of village tradition, and provide a facility for local people to meet, keep fit, and encourage community spirit. That said, in such situations, I'm not against councils looking for a benefit in kind of some kind. Agree to continue the subsidy, in return for the club undertaking to provide evening coaching sessions for juniors in the summer, for example - that kind of thing.

Mind you, even the current £110 per match sounds pretty high - for the hire of a cricket pitch and pavilion.

Swap the words Cricket Club for Hunt…

AWAYDAY

Jul 21, 2009
I fully support community and sports. However ats time when basic services run by cou cild are having to close (e.g. Children's centres) and budgets are insufficient to pay for provision for the most vulnerable in our society (e.g. Elderly and disabled) I think you need to consider weather £5,000 for 20 people to play cricket is reasonable? I appreciate this is a smallish sum but if you look across West Sussex at all the village facilities for various sports and the costs, I imagine it comes to a substantial sum.

I would look at other sources if funding ( local business sponsorship/ donations and also learning the skills and dedicating time of the members to complete the work that costs £5k.

Don't get me wrong these things should be funded but not at the expense of essential services.

And before anyone takes it out on me - blame the current government and the finance industry who took our money!

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
I fully support community and sports. However ats time when basic services run by cou cild are having to close (e.g. Children's centres) and budgets are insufficient to pay for provision for the most vulnerable in our society (e.g. Elderly and disabled) I think you need to consider weather £5,000 for 20 people to play cricket is reasonable? I appreciate this is a smallish sum but if you look across West Sussex at all the village facilities for various sports and the costs, I imagine it comes to a substantial sum.

I would look at other sources if funding ( local business sponsorship/ donations and also learning the skills and dedicating time of the members to complete the work that costs £5k.

Don't get me wrong these things should be funded but not at the expense of essential services.

And before anyone takes it out on me - blame the current government and the finance industry who took our money!

Not taking it out on you, but its the Parish Council who want the Cricket Club to brass up; not the District or County. Parish Councils don't fund essential services like children's services, provision for elderly and/or disabled.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM

Sadly it does not sound that high at all to me.... Council football pitches each week cost that.... and thats for 2 hours....

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Done. Spent many a happy hour outside the Victory watching the cricket with a pint.

Good luck with the petition

Being the previous owner of The Victory I'm glad you enjoyed my ale.

Can't believe this is happening, I have certainly signed.

As regards support for the cause does anyone know if Chris Adams, of Sussex ccc fame, still lives in the village also Russel Slade did, failing that Adrian "Quincy" Jones (ex Sussex) runs his business in Handcross and frequents The Victory and Tanners.

Is there a funday still on the green? If so what's their feelings.

The loss of cricket on the green would have a serious impact on the pubs as many stop for a drink and to watch. How bloody dare they!

wallington seagull

Sep 8, 2003
Signed
Have you thought of advertising banners around your ground. We did this successfully at Wallington CC. Banners cost in the region of £60 and we charged £200 for the season. They also brightened up the place! Also with 20 members its tough but try a 40 club. £5 each member paid by Standing Order each month nets £100. £50 to club funds and £50 to the winner. Will net you £600 each year and the prospect of members buying more than one set of numbers? Also, try a good old fashioned jumble sale, we raised £250 doing one which was a lot of hard work but also a lot of fun.
Longer term I think you should look at lottery funding to buy equipment and send a few members on courses. We bought an old Volvo estate for £80 at a car auction and picked up some second hand gang mowers for £200 and they lasted for years before we had the money to buy a proper outfield mower.

A Race Night is also a good money spinner. Sell horses £10 each, eight horses each race = £80 per race x 8 races =£480 less £240 prize money. Get sponsors for each race at £30 a race = £240.Less £120 prize money. Then you have the betting on the night which usually brings in another £300 or so. Race night firms run the night for you and charge in the region of £200. You can even auction the horses for the last race which brings in a bit extra. You can easily raise £800 - £1000 with a bit of hard work with a Race Night.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Not taking it out on you, but its the Parish Council who want the Cricket Club to brass up; not the District or County. Parish Councils don't fund essential services like children's services, provision for elderly and/or disabled.

Exactly and parish councils remit is to provide local amenities for local people. This includes sports facilities and playgrounds etc.

I'm Chairman of Sedlescombe Sports Association, which is an umbrella association looking after the sports facilities in the village for use by the football club of which there are 3 senior teams and over twenty junior sides (not bad for a small village), a cricket team and also the facility is used free of charge to the local school for their events.

The ground is owned by the parish council and leased to us for £1 per year. They then help us fund certain projects, such as the new pavilion and so on. It does work well and the local villagers accepted a precept on their council tax bills to help. At no point do the parish council duck out of their responsibility to provide the facility.

Apart from these facilities all parish councils look after is the village halls, the village verges and street lighting where applicable etc.

Better explained here
http://www.localgov.co.uk/Parish-council-responsibilities/29135

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Signed
Have you thought of advertising banners around your ground. We did this successfully at Wallington CC. Banners cost in the region of £60 and we charged £200 for the season. They also brightened up the place! Also with 20 members its tough but try a 40 club. £5 each member paid by Standing Order each month nets £100. £50 to club funds and £50 to the winner. Will net you £600 each year and the prospect of members buying more than one set of numbers? Also, try a good old fashioned jumble sale, we raised £250 doing one which was a lot of hard work but also a lot of fun.
Longer term I think you should look at lottery funding to buy equipment and send a few members on courses. We bought an old Volvo estate for £80 at a car auction and picked up some second hand gang mowers for £200 and they lasted for years before we had the money to buy a proper outfield mower.

A Race Night is also a good money spinner. Sell horses £10 each, eight horses each race = £80 per race x 8 races =£480 less £240 prize money. Get sponsors for each race at £30 a race = £240.Less £120 prize money. Then you have the betting on the night which usually brings in another £300 or so. Race night firms run the night for you and charge in the region of £200. You can even auction the horses for the last race which brings in a bit extra. You can easily raise £800 - £1000 with a bit of hard work with a Race Night.

My brother played for Wallington CC.

In fact even I GRACED your ground, for your 6-a-side.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

Part of your council tax bill is to fund sports facilities. They are on a sticky wicket attempting to remove it.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Done. Many happy memories playing there when I played for Lindfield juniors. Try and get some sponsorship from a local company or two if you can. What would that area be used for if it were not for cricket? Nothing, I would suggest. Would be a great shame if it went - I think that it makes Staplefield reasonably unique in that the cricket pitch is the centre of the village.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here