Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

iPhone 6 / iPhone 6 Plus / Apple Watch

wehatepalace

Limbs
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
Trying to work out the 'cheapest' way of getting a 6+.

Outright 64gb+ = £699 + 24 months of £15.00 payg = £1059.00 over 2 years.
Contract 64gb+ = (est.) £45.00 p/m = £1080.00 over 2 years.

Will be looking at Phones4U pricing on Friday.

Think of the resale value when you've finished with it, an unlocked phone will sell for more.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls

At least you can sell your IPhone on PAYG if the 7 has irresistible features.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach

The 2 year cost for our household of 4 comes to £1,357

1 Moto G
1 Nexus 4
1 Nexus 5

All purchased with sim only contracts between £5-7.20 per month, plus an HTC Wildfire S on contract for another 9 months. People are free to spend their money as they choose, but I just don't see the attraction.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

The advantages are the no contract. I bought my 4S from Apple around 2 years ago and have changed my sim provider a few times since owning it. If you go abroad a lot, you can stick a local sim in it as it's not locked to any network within those 2 years, plus you could also sell it if you needed to, or wanted to change model for whatever reason. While the saving looks like only £21, I think the advantages of buying outright are worth far more.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
The thing I'm so excited about is that Apple haven't just dipped their toe in like Samsung, LG and Google often do (or like they did themselves with Apple TV), they've gone 100% all in. They've already got thousands of developers chomping at the bit to see what they can make out of this and millions(?) of customers wanting one. It's could well bomb. But we could be sitting here in a few years looking at the Apple Watch and the Moto 360 as the start of a whole new era of tech.

Out of interest, where do you think all of this is heading if not towards wearables/health tracking?

Is it a gamble for Apple though? They have such a collection of fanboys that they could release pretty much anything, no matter how shit and there would be a queue around the corner to buy it.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Is it a gamble for Apple though? They have such a collection of fanboys that they could release pretty much anything, no matter how shit and there would be a queue around the corner to buy it.

Disagree. They tend to only release decent products. The shit ones (the old Apple TV) don't sell well at all. When they changed the iPod Nano, shit sales. When they changed the shuffle. Shit sales.

They've certainly got more than their fair share of fanboys, but most of the time the reason for the sales is the quality of the product on offer.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove

It's investors and shareholders that would panic if predicted profits took a hit. Despite loyal brand followers, a duff product which Apple have invested a huge amount of R&D in would see their own market share take a hit and fall behind rivals. Apple already suffered with the iPhone 5 not having a big screen version which they've had to address in the 6.

Going to be interested whether the watch is something revolutionary, or just a flop. I haven't worn a watch in about 12 years! I have a heart rate chest strap monitor (wahoo about £30) that connects to my iPhone via Bluetooth when I'm cycling or running. Personally, I'm struggling to see the market for it.

227 BHA

Jul 5, 2003
Findon Valley, Worthing
I've never been one for the whole "must have the latest iphone on release day" thing but this time I am planning to get the 64gb 6 ASAP as I've been waiting to upgrade my phone so my iphone 5 can be used by my son whose old iphone 3g is on its last legs.

I'm opting to go sim-only rather than get tied into another contract so am planning to buy a sim-free one direct from Apple so my question is - if I order one online from the apple store on Friday are they likely to have stock or do they usually sell out on release day? And will it be delivered to me on the release day (the 19th) or some time after that date?

Or should I go to the Apple store next Saturday and purchase instore? (which begs the questions - will they have stock or will they have sold out on the Friday? and are there likely to be stupidly long queues of desperate punters?)

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
I've never been one for the whole "must have the latest iphone on release day" thing but this time I am planning to get the 64gb 6 ASAP as I've been waiting to upgrade my phone so my iphone 5 can be used by my son whose old iphone 3g is on its last legs.

I'm opting to go sim-only rather than get tied into another contract so am planning to buy a sim-free one direct from Apple so my question is - if I order one online from the apple store on Friday are they likely to have stock or do they usually sell out on release day? And will it be delivered to me on the release day (the 19th) or some time after that date?

Or should I go to the Apple store next Saturday and purchase instore? (which begs the questions - will they have stock or will they have sold out on the Friday? and are there likely to be stupidly long queues of desperate punters?)

I predict all models will be sold out for at least 2-3 weeks.
Best to start queuing now or order at midnight tomorrow night.

No idea if they will deliver on release date though.

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town

I ordered my iphone 5 on the day the pre-order went on sale and received it on launch day. They sold out of launch day devices within about an hour or two of going live that time. I am guessing it will be similar this time as well.

227 BHA

Jul 5, 2003
Findon Valley, Worthing
Cheers guys! Looks like I'll stay up til midnight tomorrow and order then.
What's the apple site usually like at peak times like this - does it handle the demand?
Now I've just got to decide on which colour - do the silver and gold both have white faces and the grey a black face?

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Looks like Amazon’s entry into the smartphone market with the Amazon Fire phone is turning into a bit of a disaster. They have dropped the price nearly $200 to 99c.

I’ve been impressed with Kindle and Kindle Fire, but this one is a dud. Unusual because Bezos is normally very surefooted and does the homework.

Kazenga <3

Test 805843
Feb 28, 2010
Team c/r HQ
The advantages are the no contract. I bought my 4S from Apple around 2 years ago and have changed my sim provider a few times since owning it. If you go abroad a lot, you can stick a local sim in it as it's not locked to any network within those 2 years, plus you could also sell it if you needed to, or wanted to change model for whatever reason. While the saving looks like only £21, I think the advantages of buying outright are worth far more.

I always buy outright for those reasons. However worth mentioning that unless you insure your phone, you aren't covered if it goes missing like you would be under contract.

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
Rather than dicking about with a load of fancy fad features perhaps Apple should dedicate time to finding a phone that does not run out of battery in half a day.

The first company that comes up with a phone you only need to charge once a week will really hit the jackpot.

I had the s5 on ultra power saving mode and it lasted more than a week whilst camping, I think it was anticipated to last about 12 days from a full charge

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
For the discerning Albion fan - the new Blue Leather case with the White and Gold iPhone 6 is the nuts :)

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I always buy outright for those reasons. However worth mentioning that unless you insure your phone, you aren't covered if it goes missing like you would be under contract.

It was pretty reasonable to add mine to my home contents insurance, in fact I don't think it affected the premium as it was and covered it for loss, theft or breakage either in the home or away.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here