Jul 5, 2003
Trail Running

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
What an excellent thread - I've already picked up some tips for mags I'll try - thanks.

For me it's:

Private Eye - for the satire and for advance warning of upcoming scandals. Advance being sometimes measure in years. Of course, maybe 50% of what they get hot under the collar about never actually breaks into a full-on scandal, but trying to predict which stories will is part of the fun.

Wired - for techie business stuff

The Economist - mostly for its brilliant writing; so concise and punchy with a definite house style. The breadth of topics it reports on is breathtaking too. If I had to rely on a single source for my current affairs knowledge, this would be it. They try to have articles that present the same topic from two different political perspectives, and mostly pull it off, but you do have to be aware that leaders in economics are generally written from a right of centre perspective. Other leaders are more balanced.

A long time ago I worked in the plastic extrusion industry when I took the brilliantly named Plastics and Rubber Weekly

I subscribe to something called Stack - stackmagazine.com - and for £6 a month I think (it's just a Direct Debit) they send me a different magazine to my door each month.

They feature the best independent publishers, but the subjects vary. One month it's a magazine about surfing, the next about film, the next about travel.

I highly recommend it. It's nice to see different approaches to publishing and I learn about all sorts of things; cooking, gardening, erotica.
:

I keep thinking about this Stack magazine thing, in my line of work I speak to lots of publishers and have met the owner on a number of occasions regarding his distribution, it appeals to me.

Does it still come in a brown envelope?

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Too tight to subscribe to any magazine, but do get Esquire free with my Lloyds account, which is the best on the list of magazine titles you can get from them. Just wish they offered FourFourTwo.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
T3 (from the first edition)

Shopping Centre magazine (work)

Construction News (work)

BASC (part of the insurance deal)

Used to get Back Pass, but it got just a little too old fashioned for me.

I like to pick up old copies of Shoot and Goal when I see them with Albion articles in them.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Too tight to subscribe to any magazine, but do get Esquire free with my Lloyds account, which is the best on the list of magazine titles you can get from them. Just wish they offered FourFourTwo.

What's that, a Lloyds current account ? I have a gold account and don't recall being offered anything

grubbyhands

Dec 8, 2011
Godalming
FHM and Performance Bikes. One for drooling over the latest hot eye candy and one for " bashing one out to". You decide which though.

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
World poker tour - thoroughly enjoy this magazine, though I think the writing style could be better. It features 16 pages of poker strategy with occasional in depth math analysis.

Foreign Policy - a foreign affairs magazine, I study international relations, it's a no brainer; but the analysis is very interesting, online subs is really cheap $2.99 a month, highly recommended if you want accurate detail about events and honest opinion about policy. Their latest stuff on the Ukrainian-Russian situation is interesting, they predicted this type of incursions months ago.

The Economist - by far the best writing style I've come across in magazine journalism, I personally find it less whingy than new statesman. Always my first choice magazine for anything to do with international finance.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I subscribe to something called Stack - stackmagazine.com - and for £6 a month I think (it's just a Direct Debit) they send me a different magazine to my door each month.

They feature the best independent publishers, but the subjects vary. One month it's a magazine about surfing, the next about film, the next about travel.

I highly recommend it. It's nice to see different approaches to publishing and I learn about all sorts of things; cooking, gardening, erotica.

When Saturday Comes is, in my opinion, a truly fantastic football magazine.

I also get the digital versions of The Blizzard. That, and WSC, cover my football needs.

I buy a mens monthly called Port each month which, I find, is the right balance of features, miscellany, culture and photography/illustration. They feature quite a lot of design and architecture too which I like. It's a high quality magazine.

The Smith Journal from Australia is really interesting.

I subscribe to a film magazine called Little White Lies which, even if you're not massively into film, is a joy to read and flick through.

Monocle is very good value too, it's so big though and preaches a ludicrous aspiration, but it's still very good.

Don't forget New Statesman and Private Eye. They always inform and entertain me.

I adore magazines. I miss TSLR very much :down:

Port seems interesting. I like a bit of design and architecture myself. Do you subscribe to any music mags? I'm struggling to find something which covers my tastes and offers new music.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
The Blizzard, Backpass, Backspin, Economia (don't ask). One of my all-time favourites was The Modern Review (RIP). Used to subscribe to Marmalade and some glossy, aspirational thing about cities - Boat I think it's called. I'd like to read more magazines but it would just mean fewer books get read, so I've chosen books instead.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Rugby World magazine and The Sporting Gun.

Do you find that Rugby World can sometimes be a bit, well, 'lowest common denominator' ?

I struggle with the journalism in The Rugby Paper. I wish there was a broadsheet influenced publication.

Dr Q

Jul 29, 2004
Ilkley
Shooting Times (weekly)
Sporting Gun (monthly)
The Field (monthly)
Autosport (weekly)
F1 Magazine (monthly)

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Shooting Times (weekly)
Sporting Gun (monthly)
The Field (monthly)
Autosport (weekly)
F1 Magazine (monthly)

What does this suggest about your penis size?

That's not inappropriate at all. Mine's tiny.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here