Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Do you spend as much on catering at the Amex as you would like?

Do you spend as much at the Amex as you would like to?

• Yes - I get what I want when I want it

Votes: 40 20.9%
  • No - I could spend more but the catering set-up doesn't allow me to

Votes: 151 79.1%

• Total voters

Billy Seagull

Bookie Basher
Jul 5, 2003
The queues before the game in WSU seem a lot longer this season. We always arrive on the train at around 2.20 and last season the queues were only 5 or 6 deep but this season they have doubled in size so haven't bothered with a pint so far. Noticeable after the match that the stand is clearing a lot quicker and the have a load of pies left whereas last season there were rarely any available. Perhaps the food and drink prices have reached the tipping point where people wont pay them.

Takings must be down a fair chunk in WSU compared to the previous seasons.

Quaid

Nov 6, 2011
Gave up on the smart card, the not smart servers were regularly overcharging me and after the refund /resell process (which still often resulted in overcharging) I gave it up. Had it for 2 seasons but it was working out more expensive with the twatitude of the till operators

MissGull

Apr 1, 2013
It really would help if everyone loaded up the smart cards. But most still seem to pay with cash?

It would be really helpful if they had some somewhere in the concourses to allow you to topup. You don't always remember at home, nor want to queue in the shop. Especially if it's an impulse purchase.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
It would be really helpful if they had some somewhere in the concourses to allow you to topup. You don't always remember at home, nor want to queue in the shop. Especially if it's an impulse purchase.

There is a place to top up outside the ground albeit you would think a simple top up machine could be installed on the concourses as well.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley

I use auto topup, though I can understand some may not wish to!

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
It really would help if everyone loaded up the smart cards. But most still seem to pay with cash?

When my row changed in the north stand, ( they opened the back row and pushed us all back one) I was issued a new smart card. This has been impossible to work. The online system does not recognise account number/password combination. I tried online password reset but get 'email invalid'. Even spoke to someone via email about it who was unable to assist. I used to have auto top up enabled but cannot now enter in bank information. From those who sit around me a number have had the same issue,

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The pre match queues are so long I find myself predicting who will have a pint (quick) and who will have a tea (slow). As a result I try to avoid pairs of oldies, who usually fart about with tea, coffee, sugar etc then pay in cash.

Invicta

NSC Patron
Nov 1, 2013
Kent
Hundreds queuing outside home and away gates to get in yesterday when they finally opened the gates at 1.35. Sure they would all have been spending more given the chance. This then creates and instant queue at the bars when everyone rushes in. They need to open earlier again.

I queued for 20 minutes today before the game to buy a pint, this was in the WSU near the middle, it used to be called the beer & pie kiosk but it now has no sign above it.
There was one lady working her socks off on her own in this kiosk.

Ditto except I gave up after 10 mins as I had only moved forward 2 places. It wasn't necessarily all her fault as there should be someone else assisting, pouring, taking money etc. but heh that's too obvious.

ewe2

Mar 14, 2008
Hailsham area
If I lived local to the Amex - and had the time - I'd bloody LOVE to offer to come in each match day and sort out the catering experience with a few Gordon Ramsey style home truths. I'd do it for free. All the answers to the myriad of issues are in this thread - it's gold dust. It just needs management desire to address the fundamentals. Nobody wants to do a bad job anymore than anyone wants to receive poor service.

I reckon I could get match day kiosk revenue up by 25%(minimum) in one season and I wouldn't even want paying to do it.

Fantastic offer !.....How would you achieve your claim ?

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I reckon I could get match day kiosk revenue up by 25%(minimum) in one season and I wouldn't even want paying to do it.

I doubt they'd thank you for just pushing up revenue. They'd want profit too. Increasing revenue is easy (increase staff by 1000% to reduce queuing times = more people will buy = more revenue; but your costs will be shot to hell); increasing revenue, while maintaining margin is a tad harder.

Perhaps increasing profit is what you meant, and just used "revenue" as shorthand?

Dumseagull

Jun 13, 2012
Lancing
i'd definitely buy more beer and food if it was just a case of, "oh i fancy a pint, i will go and get one"

but its not! you have to plan ahead, send someone in early, or apply some other special plan to buy products from the club. i think they would sell probably 50% more if they got more outlets/options squeezed in. The fact remains that, at the amex, in the north stand, you CAN NOT watch the game AND have a beer at half time! its one or the other!

ewe2

Mar 14, 2008
Hailsham area
IMO there is no answer. Increase the price !!!! Pay better staff !!! Reduce the price !!! etc etc.....maybe,look for more outside outlets,or create more in stadium theme bars ,if possible. (office space in the north stand,perhaps one of the lounges in the west )

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here